Game Making Drive March 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Archeia, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hollow, I don't see any of your images :(

2. Hollow

Hollow (◡‿◡✿) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Uh oh! D: I just changed the image links to a different site, can you see them now? 

3. kj3400

kj3400 Hmph Master Veteran

Baltimore, MD, N America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Day 1: Saturday

[​IMG] Gimme dat money XD

I've been poring over tutorials all day to make some simple puzzles for my first dungeon. I'm not an expert, but I think it looks pretty good so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edit: They're posted now, thanks Shaz :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    Candacis and Shaz like this.
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yep :)

I've modified your post to insert the images within spoiler tags. Edit your post to see how I did it, then you'll be able to do it yourself next time :)

kj3400 and Hollow like this.
  5. That Bread

That Bread Veteran Veteran

One plus for knights!

Today I did a few things, one I typed up all of the character profiles.

Created a large world map (it does loop both directions)

Did a playthrough of my game to test it and clear up the few bugs I noticed.

Thats it for today... tomorrow I plan on brewing up how I will enact the next part of the game.

kj3400, DuncanS and Shaz like this.
  6. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    One is the reverse of the other. If you don't 'solve' the puzzle as you're building it, you'll generate a lot of maps that are not completable.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is not a map, and as it is built on the fly, the process for building and for completing is different, so not quite the reverse of each other.

8. kj3400

kj3400 Hmph Master Veteran

Baltimore, MD, N America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Spoilers! I completely forgot about those being a thing XD Will use next time, thank you.

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Yay, I get to post on the first day! First on my list has been to really get the details of my maps down. I feel like I've been working on these maps forever (because I always seem to get distracted "needing" to edit/add more tiles). I do feel like it's coming along though. Still needs plenty of work.

[​IMG]

10. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

I can see why all heroes are equiped with swords as a standard, they are easier to sprite.  Getting the mace to look decent took some time.

[​IMG]

My Goal for the GMD is to complete my intro.

My secondary goals are to make a few more resources, behaviors, and those portraits I've been putting off.

The first five minutes of the game are the hardest for me which is why I've avoided it the last GMD.  I'm having difficulty after watching so many videos and tutorials about

how important that short time is for the player to decide to keep going.  This is giving me the most dread of anything.  If my art doesn't carry in me in the intro, I am sunk before I start.

Here is my in progress tileset.  I've added a stepping stone into water, along with the reed Indrah used in her cavern set.  I've recolored them by saturating them back to normal green to use with outdoor water tiles.  I've also update some ivies to help fill cave and rocky wall tiles that would normally be barren along with sides of houses.  I've gotten patches of mushrooms and a Well that is not quite right for the plot along with Willard's parents.I added two variations on the stained glass window exteriors, but  I don't like that shade of yellow.  That's the first thing to go.  I've managed to fix up the refuse/leaf piles to look more defined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]  Seems my price is time.

kj3400, Candacis, B.Ultimus and 4 others like this.
  11. Aurorain

Aurorain Overlord Illumise Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day #1

I got quite a lot of work done today. First, I reorganized the Status Ailments(I haven't finalized them, but the effects do what they should do), and then readjusted stats all over the board. The majority of time, however went into working on the first character's Tree Grid.

[​IMG]
    How it works, is similar to the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X, however it's fashioned in the shape of a skill tree, hence the name Tree Grid. When a point is invested, the orbs(and line trail connected to that orb) light up, like the yellow orb. The line trail will always be white when lit up, however the orbs will be different colors depending on the type of boost they grant;

Blue - Stats, Red - Skill Improvements(increases the damage of a skill for example), Purple - Resistances, Green - Alternate Stats(like Evasion, or Magical Evasion), and Yellow - Surges(there aren't many of these since they're Limit Break skills, and can only be invested into once enough points have been invested already).

Still a lot of work I need to do on the different Tree Grids, but it's functional at the moment, so that's good enough for me!  ;)

[​IMG]

Candacis, UsainSloth, Bonkers and 2 others like this.
  12. DuncanS

DuncanS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day 1 of 28!

I got some work done on a couple of scripts, mainly debugging and trying to figure out how to properly implement layered Scene changes.

I've also been doing some writing here and there, but nothing too exciting so far XD.

Slow start for me this month ;n; - it's great to see so many people participating, though! I look forward to seeing everyone's progress!

@Ksi - love the +1 icons~!

[​IMG]

Shaz and Bonkers like this.
  13. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Game Making Drive Day 1

Created two of five sequenced forest maps at 40x40tiles each. Each map has four exits on eaech side, three leading to a random map of the forest while one leads to the next in the sequence, ultimately to the center of the forest where a Valian platoon resides.

Also created the riddles for each of the sequenced maps that allow the player to figure out where to go.

This is the first in the sequence which leads to the first fork in the forest.

edit: before the parallaxing fixes the missing tiles on the trees of course.

[​IMG]

DuncanS, Ksi, B.Ultimus and 1 other person like this.
  14. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @palladinthug: I love your animated sprites!

Saturday, 3/15/2014

Worked on the Spirit Weapons in my game that anyone can equip.  Spirit Weapons are essentially the "Classes" in the game: by equipping a Spirit Weapon, you will get a set of 4 skills, typically in this order (with some unique cases).

• Basic Attack
    • Support Skill (Sometimes Self Heal, Sometimes Target Heal, usually with a stat buff)
    • Strong Attack (normally with a debuff)
    • Ultimate Attack (Always attacks all enemies)
    My personal favorite names are Creedist, Synsabre, Adamantier, and Sanguin Seer.

Spirit Weapons

Ancestry Knight: Slash (Damage), Defend (Self Heal + Raise DEF), Critical (Great Damage, drops ATK), Spirit Sunder (Massive AOE Damage)

Trinity Disciple: Divine Light (Damage), Prayer (Self Heal + Raises MDF), Crusade (Great Damage, drops MDF), Arc of the Trinity (Massive AOE Damage)

Aspiring Nomad: Arid Attack (Weak Damage + Lowered ATK), Salve (Heal, Raise ATK), Sashmir (Great Damage + Bleed), Sandstorm (Massive AOE Damage)

Inferno Mage: Ignite, Atk Up, Nova (Drops MDF), Inferno (Great damage to all enemies)

Commander: Inspire (Def Up, small heal), Rally (+25 TP, Heal), Dissuade (Greatly drop MDF/DEF), Charge (ATK/MAT up all allies)

Venom Agent: Poison Splash (two random attacks with poison), Resistance (Raise MDF), Toxic (drops ATK + poisons), Plague (AoE Poison, drops all stats, all enemies)

Earthen Knight: Rock Slash, Boulder Shield (Self Raise DEF), Collapse (Drops AGI), Avalance Strike (Great Damage to all enemy)

Creedist: Defile, Sermon (Increase AGI), Curse (Great Damage AGI Drop), Damnation (Great Damage to all enemies)

Diviner: Holy Light (Heals HP), Divine Strike (Phys Damage), Grand Heal (Global Heal), Harmful Crash (AOE Phys Damage)

Partisan: Barbed Pierce (Weaker Damage + Bleeding), Tactician (Self Heal, Increase HP), Imperial Strike (Greater HP Damage + ATK Down), Gatecrasher (Greatest HP Damage AOE)

Synsabre: Dark Blade, Disbelief (Heal, Self raise MDF), Despair Blade (Great Damage, DEF Drop), Fog of Blood (Great Damage, AOE, AGI Drop)

Warmonger: Great Cleave (Weak Damage, AOE), Bloodlust (Self Heal, AGI+), Dive (Great Damage, DEF Down), Endless War (Massive Damage to all targets)

Adamantier: Spiked Shield (Weak damage, bonus damage from DEF), Resolute (Self Increase DEF/MDF/Threat), Shattering Cry (Normal AOE Damage, drops ATK/MDF), Preserverence (Massive Self Heal)

Fly Lord: Insects (Weak Damage + Lower DEF), Regenerate (Heals, adding Regen effect), Inferno Bugs (Great Damage + Lower AGI), Belzebub's Invocation (AOE Heal + Increase AGI)

Sanguin Seer: Bloodletting (Weak Damage + Bleed), Mitocondria (Self Heal + MAT Increase), Clot Crush (Great Damage + Lower MDF), Bloodfire (AOE Massive Damage)

Frost Prince: Ice Strike (Weak Damage + lower AGI), Frost Tomb (Self Heal, Increase DEF/MDF, Lowers AGI), Arctic Slice (Great Damage, Lowers DEF), Deep Blizzard (Massive Damage AOE)

[​IMG]

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DAY 2

I spent some more time nutting out the scene build/play logic for my mahjong commission and searched around a bit for algorithms (unsuccessfully, because most of what I found refers to the full game with special tiles/moves and not just the matching mechanic). I haven't actually implemented anything into the script yet - that'll be for later when I have things worked out a little more.

And I revisited my mouse script in an effort to add some new functionality. I've got a list of about half a dozen minor bugs or requested features that I want to get working, so will be spending a few days modifying it - hopefully NOT introducing any new bugs in the meantime.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
    kj3400 likes this.
  16. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    GMD, Day 1, March 16th:

Implemented new core skills to replace the default 'guard' command in game. The protagonist has an element shift ability. She can take a turn shifting between 4 elements; fire, water, earth and sky. While shifted she can use skills of said element and takes half damage from that element and double damage from the opposite element. There is a 5th 'neutral' element that can be shifted to that reduces all element damage by 25%, restores mp each turn but attracts all enemy element-based attacks to her. this works in game because since this game is going to be relatively short anyway there is no traditional leveling, each character levels stats in unique ways and the protagonist gets stat growth through using skills so some control can be determined based on the player's preference of elements and the types of attacks they allow, since the most used skills will yield the highest stat growth.

The second character's guard replacing skill is a powerful attack that drains hp and attempts to absorb the enemy (non-humanoid) and learn new skills + stat growth from them. Pretty much it's a combination of final fantasy blue magic and devour (remember those support blue magics that were hard as sheep to get hit with? I didn't want that to be a factor.) It's a powerful skill but as a drawback the character won't get another turn for 2.5 turns length so using it to actually kill an opponent is even more important (since it needs that to get skills/stats up in the first place, using it early could easily kill you.) 

Contemplated the other two character's possible stat growth methods but haven't gotten anything concrete down for them (they're both gained about midway through the game anyway and are supposed to be more experienced characters than the first two to begin with. It's hard to come up with abilities that fit that but are balanced at the same time.)

Also implemented two scenes, that take place at the same time depending on what the player decides to do at a certain point. One with an obvious positive outcome and another that is decidedly negative, though the clues beforehand are subtle enough that neither choice would be to obvious one way or the other, and both do have an eventual positive to them. At the very least it's new information.

[​IMG]

Shaz, Bonkers and Hollow like this.
  17. numfanklewhat

numfanklewhat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Day 1 - SUN mar 16

1st time on GMD. Spending time this sunday on turbo hermit mode, finishing the eternal vicious cycle of [switches - Call Common Event - Show Text - Set Move Route], I swear eventing like this is hazardous to health and will actually shorten my life span (lol). My aim is to finish all recruitable character event (which is a ton) by the time this GMD over!

Also drawing some more half-body portrait of character emotion and planning to finish 1 event CG this night. This is by far the only part of my current project that I really like, compared to eventing, which I reluctantly must do too to speed up progress. Drawing character to make their emotion fit with what they said in the text message is really fun.

[​IMG]
    That's the end of my 1st day report! Hope you folks have a great time on your project too! :thumbsup-right: :ninja:

[​IMG]

Candacis, Shaz, kj3400 and 1 other person like this.
  18. UsainSloth

UsainSloth Apprentice Member

First Language:
    English
    Day 2 (March 16th):

[​IMG]

Goal for each day: Finish a scene

Extra Goal for today: Learn about writting

Replace placeholder: Elrich Faust

I'm planning to structure my posts so it's easier to read and it will give me more direction for each day!

Finish a scene:

Finished up 2 beginning scenes. I didn't know how hard it would be to time the movements with 'Set Move Route'. My efforts paid off though after 2 hours of work. I got 1 fun small scene and another more dark scene. 1st one is more 'Show Balloon Icon' heavier whereas the 2nd one is more about 'Set Move Route'. I'm getting used to the position of each event selection sicne I get lost in the editor sometimes looking for an event command. now it's a bit easier.

Learn about writting:

I went on ahead and searched some writting tips thread in reddit and voila, I found this diamond:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1jltqn/writers_of_reddit_what_are_exceptionally_simple/

I also checked out one of finalbossblues articles:

http://finalbossblues.com/i-want-characters/

With those I made many dialogue changes to characters. After rereading everything I seem to like them much more than I did.

Elrich Faust:

"Fiat Justitia, et pereat mundus."
     ​
    "In the end no matter which action. I will feel the most agony from it."

Elrich Faust 2.png

Elrich Faust 2.png

EDIT: added date and formatting.

Shaz likes this.
  19. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Day 2

I have been mapping almost an hour just to make the first area for a forest simply known as "Everwoods". I have custom forest tiles that takes a lot time to place but end result is rather wonderful.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  20. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Day 02

Did some more mapping. Mainly the same forest/mountain area as the last update and some of the dark forest areas. I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with a certain part of that area - a house that can be fixed up - since the game is supposed to be relatively short and, hopefully, funny. I was thinking of a small fixer-upper quest where you have to find certain items to do it, but I'm not exactly sure what the reason for it could be. I've a bit more to figure out than I thought I did, I guess.

I also did some eventing - just a cutscene or two. I found a bug in one that I'll have to fix tomorrow - nothing big - and then give another playtest. I also started the actual eventing of the 'hospital' with a certain something, but again, I have to figure out what I want to do with it before I can progress.

I also considered more than just Mopton as an ally, though I'm having an issue coming up with who would be the others. I know I want at least two more - if only for more balanced battles - but again, not many ideas. Since this game is a sort-of 'ode' to a few other games, I was considering Frosty the Snowman as one, but... well, it might be a bit too much. I'll have to work on that a bit more.

Lastly, just some dialogue edits and double-checks in Seer Dell: Eagle... which I'm still working on, slowly. For all that Dragon was made in a day, Eagle seems to want to take it's sweet-ass time. Oh well. I could half-ass it I guess but I'm not inclined to do so.

Shaz and kj3400 like this.