Game Making Drive March 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Archeia, Mar 8, 2014.

1. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
     [​IMG]

GMD Day 2:

Worked on my FE side project today and brainstormed a few things with regard to units.

Each unit is tied to a different affinity/element. Affinities give different stat bonuses: Going by elemental logic ( in a way ). Eg. Earth represents durability/defense ( baffled why it boosts Avoid in the actual FE games ( the Anima affinity for the GBA FEs ) , but Avoid can be seen as defensive as well so... ), Fire for power/atk, water for life etc.

Earth: +5 Def
    Heaven: +5 MaxMP
    Fire: +5 Atk
    Water: +5 MaxHP
    Wind: +10 Avoid
    Thunder: +10 Critical
    Light: +5 Spd
    Dark: +5 Mag

Some characters have innate support bonuses ( usually siblings or best friends ) as well that grant boosts to Avoid/Evade and the Critical rate ( critical attacks only deal x2 damage ). I was also thinking along the lines of units who have a Fire affinity will absorb Fire, but be weak against Water, Earth units will ( obviously ) absorb Earth but be weak against Wind magic ( or something ). In the original FE games, flying units like Seraph Knights ( a promoted Pegasus Knight ) tended to be weak against Wind by default. And Earth is a pretty hardy element. Logically, it grounds Thunder, absorbs Water and probably even Fire.

So, outlined below: Elemental strengths and weaknesses

Earth: Half damage from Fire and Water, Nullifies Thunder
    Heaven: Half damage from all elements
    Fire: Weak against Water, absorbs Fire, Nullifies Light
    Water: Weak against Thunder, absorbs Water
    Wind: Deals effective damage against the Queen and Seraph Knight class
    Thunder: Weak against Earth, deals effective damage against the Marshall/General and Dragonlord classes
    Light: Deals effective damage against Dark-aligned units 
    Dark: Weak against Light

There are around 30 playable characters, and I want to give the game a high replay value as well. And like all FE games, it is hard. XD And every character has a unique skill set as well to tackle the various Level 60+ enemies.

So, that's about it for now. Didn't get much done, tbh.

Shaz likes this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Really too tired right now and commented late :s

But here's my status update:

Finished sprites. Almost down with another. Finished some tutorial buttons for controls...

And tons of trying to get into the animation groove again.

It's not much but it was still fun to do it again once in a while ;w;

Made with like, layers and no live preview

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Graphics Gale

[​IMG]
    Flash

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
    B.Ultimus, Shaz, Caz and 3 others like this.
  3. Kale

Kale Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    GMD Day 1

Well, I ended up having a lot more time to work today so I got quite a bit done.

. I completed small and large shop placement. Keep in mind that the maps look empty right now as I haven't begun the majority of the mapping. I just know where each building can be placed and I have roads placed. Also, just about everything is placeholder art. The player will, eventually, have the option to place all sized shops and villager's homes in various places throughout the valley (wherever a red sign sits, a building can be placed there). The player will also be able to rearrange whenever they want to, for a price. Right now only small and large shops can be placed and rearranged. Next week I plan to get medium shops done and if time allows, small homes.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of mini-game: http://youtu.be/kBAZbPAwntk

I also figured out the mini-game that will be located at the grocery store. It's not complete yet but I have the basic framework done. I have to add a background image, replace place-holding art, and add in more merchandise. 

This mini-game is played using the number keys. You get one minute to earn as many points as you can. Items appear on the screen and float across, allowing time to type in the numbers. It starts out easy and then gets harder as the player collects more and more points. When the player gets all the numbers typed in they get a point but if they don't make it in time the player gets a point taken away. Easy has three numbers and the item bounces back to the start with each correct number entered, making it quite easy. Medium does the same bouncing but there are a lot more numbers to enter in. After I test more I may end up making medium not bounce. Hard has no bouncing, less time to enter in numbers, and the same amount of numbers as medium. At the end of the game the player is paid for their work according to how well they did. It still looks rough but I'm happy with the basics and can't wait to have time to refine it.
    [​IMG]

numfanklewhat and Shaz like this.
  4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    [​IMG]

March 17, 2014

- Doing some maps for the project

- Finishing a short cut-scene-only project

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  5. Hollow

Hollow (◡‿◡✿) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GMD Day 2 - March 16, 2014

After a bit of thinking, I've decided to go back to my original desire to have portraits in my game instead of facesets. So, today was mostly spent getting an evented system set up (thanks to Archeia's wonderful tutorial) that will allow me to display portraits in the message boxes, as well as starting work on the portraits themselves. I managed to get the main character's sketched and started the lineart for his first outfit of the game.
    [​IMG]
    His hair is simultaneously the most fun and most annoying thing to draw. OTL

[​IMG]

6. Neo Soul Gamer

Neo Soul Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    March 16th, Day 1

I created a spreadsheet that allows me to set a parameter growth curve based on a value I choose. With my spreadsheet, all I have to do is copy and paste the results into Tsukihime's Parameter Table spreadsheet. He has a script that can import parameters from this file. So today I created 32 classes with unique parameter growths.

Shaz likes this.
  7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Today I messed with tilesets some more. In fixing some passability errors, I realized I had several duplicate tiles, so I took those, rearranged a little bit and removed some items that just didn't work.

Also, thanks to the Farm Map contest, it motivated me to finish the map for my farm mini-game. Even though it won't count as an official entry, it still helped me to get the map done which is huge. You can see it in the contest thread. http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/25050-farm-mapping-contest/page-2

Alexander Amnell and Shaz like this.
  8. Aurorain

Aurorain Overlord Illumise Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day #2!

Not a whole lot done today..few things not worth mentioning, though I did finally finish all of the portraits for my characters, and also their sprites(which were done already, but.. did some color adjustments). Portraits are too big, so recolored sprites a la mode:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So, yeah. Next week's gonna be fun on the bun though, as I'm going to "attempt" making different behaviors for one or two of them! I'm not that great of a spriter, but I..I'll do what I can! o( ^ o ^ )9

EDIT: Included a new downed sprite.

[​IMG]

Shaz, DuncanS, Bonkers and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aurorain  Let me know if you need a hand.  Work may be slow this week giving me a chance depending on what you need done.

I spent the day looking at battle engines got frightened away.  Lots of work, and note tagging like I did for items.

Honestly I could make custom sprites and status behaviors, but I really just wanna concentrate on art this build and finishing up the intro.

I am procrastinating by working on unneeded things.  

Worked on the town world map graphic.  I actually had a wall with an entrance and no town inside for now.

Resource hunted some high def texture and vector calligraphy for a world map to briefly show in the intro as a background.

sketched out the world map.  I'll be working on that this week along with a few other things, seeing if I can get an animation or

something nice for the intro sequence.

Arranged all text for the intro and set it's structure.  Sketched out sequences for the intro, and started to plan cut scenes

were necessary.  Next update will be image heavy. 

[​IMG]

Candacis, Shaz and Aurorain like this.
  10. DuncanS

DuncanS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day 2 of 28! Updating in the wee hours due to having to delay working on RM stuff a bit.

Today was also mainly spent scripting, more work on a character optimization system that still needs a ton of work ><;

Also, much rotating of things. Well, not a ton - but I was glad to have the Sprite class's ox and oy attributes to avoid doing trig XD. I normally enjoy math, but after doing vector physics and perspective projections for android, and hex string encoding/decoding for an overly-complicated networking protocol, I'm all mathed out TT (the hex stuff isn't all that math-heavy, but you get the idea :p ).

Oh, I also finally got around to making a banner for Eric's Day Off :S (and got the amazing laughing pirate animation from palladinthug ^^), so there's that XD.

That's all for today - all in all a pretty lazy weekend (~ z_z)~.

[​IMG]

Bonkers and Shaz like this.
  11. Aurorain

Aurorain Overlord Illumise Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Cool, if I need help on anything, I'll let ya know.

I actually have one I just made out of an edit, so that's one out of the way!  ;_;  Added it to my other post.

12. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    My Day 1

Unfortunately I didn't get much done, because I'm still not over my stomach bug. I started doing the farm for the Farm Screenshot contest. Since I'm working with Celianna's tiles for my own project anyway, I can reuse that farm later for my own project, just move it around and alter it a bit later on. I also set up some effect scripts for my game and made an event that plays ambient sounds if you get closer to the river.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DAY 3

This afternoon I worked more on the Mahjong mini-game. Did a little more tile editing to add a slight 3D aspect (so layers of tiles can be offset, making it clear what layer each tile is on and whether there are others below it).

I've identified 4 data classes so far that I'll use to define the game elements, and have started listing the necessary properties for each. Oh, how I love my big whiteboard! ;) Then there will be at least one new sprite class for the tiles, and a scene class to control the whole game. In addition, I worked on some calculations for splitting up the tilesheet (fairly easy - along similar lines to character sheets and faces), figuring layer offsets (for the previously-mentioned tile stacking), tile placement (so tiles don't have to be lined up in rows, but can be vertically offset from each other, and different layers can have tiles overlapping multiple tiles on the layer below), along with some algorithms to determine which tiles can be removed and which ones are blocked by others either beside or on top of them.

Also I've come up with a way to define the board layouts that will be available (the actual tiles will be slotted in during play, for a different solution each time), and have come to the same conclusion suggested by Mouser, that the only way to guarantee at least one "correct" solution will be to build the board by playing the game backwards. I was debating whether to do this or just do it randomly, but I didn't like the possibility that the player might be presented with a puzzle that is impossible to solve. I have two methods to do this, and am going through the pros and cons of each to see which will be easier to implement.

For now, I'm planning this with just mouse control in mind (the requester wants both mouse and keyboard support, but I'll just get mouse support working for now, concentrate on the game mechanics, and then if necessary, add keyboard support in once everything is working). So I've been working on ideas for identifying which tile the mouse is currently over, taking all the layer and tile offsets into account, and what necessary functions I'll need to pull out of my mouse script - just enough for the game to work, without all the bells and whistles.

I may start coding the classes and some of the logic tomorrow, if I don't think of a dozen other things that need to be nutted out first.

[​IMG]

Archeia and DuncanS like this.
  14. Jonnie91

Jonnie91 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Scuse the missing of yesterday's post, completely forgot, but I did work

[​IMG]

GMD 2: Sunday

Yesterday I continued on the progress of commissions, replied to some PM's and contacted a commissioner, and now just on the wait for a reply. Then I did a little bit more checking up on Sonar X3's sexy tools and decided I was very pleased with the new purchase. Then went and installed Alchemy, which was the last thing I hadn't installed from my previous VST Instruments. 

[​IMG]

GMD 3: Monday

Today I am working on some more tracks for Clord, discovered a better way of working with Sonar (seriously different from Reaper, but so much better).

So my day consisted of writing a Dungeon Theme for Clord, and also setting up to make life easier for me composing in the future, I also had a discussion with Blindga about the enhancement of his story, (as he mentions in his update) then carried on with Clords Dungeon theme, which is sounding brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    Shaz likes this.
  15. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    GMD, Day 2, March 17th

Determined the skill that would replace the guard command for the third character in the party and implemented it into the game. It's called infiltrate, which basically adds a state that sets TGR to 10% and locks all normal skills from use while granting a new skill command based around attacking an enemy from surprise to simulate hiding from and flanking the enemy. The new skill command by default has two skills, backstab and ambush which are powerful attacks though backstab deals huge damage to one enemy and ambush deals normal damage to all enemies. There are four other support skills that can be learned for said skill command as well, two of which can be applied that boost whichever one of the attack skills you use (so all in all the skill can take 2-3 turns depending on how many enhancements you want.) You choose either to make the critical chance for the attack 56% at the expense of 25% of base damage or to increase the base damage by 50% but negate the chance of scoring a critical. Then you can choose between a guaranteed infliction of a poison or a shotgun approach where the target has a 15-25% chance of being inflicted with about 8 different states in the game, so basically you can take a surefire route or a high risk/high reward attempt.

I'm considering the last character's replacement for guard skill, he's kind of a martial artist so I've considered having him take different stances that effect the usefulness of certain skills in positive ways and others in negative, but it's so similar to the protagonists elemental shift ability only more physical that I haven't decided whether to use and thus haven't implemented it yet.

Worked more on scenes, not new scenes but fixing old one. With one particular character who's emotion does not bleed through the dialogue making her seem a bit more wooden than other characters which is not my intent. I want this character to be able to be sympathized with but she isn't the type of character that I personally would likely sympathize with so I think that bias is showing in the dialogue causing me to think a lot harder on it than normally, but it's coming along.

Lastly I continued to play with enemy stats and the parties stats and play-tested the threshold of too hard/too easy and how long it takes to cross. All the balancing is giving me a headache but it must be done, or else I'll carry on with the story and then become discouraged when I've got hours of unbalanced gameplay to fix later.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  16. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Day 03

So, I figured out what I wanted to do with Frosty. Instead of being an actual character, his hat will be. Or he will, but be a hat. Thus he won't be fighting. However, every snowman we come across during the adventure can wear him and the player can interact with him in various ways - I figure mini-quests would be best. Since there won't be much in the way of battles some extra gameplay will be a good idea. That or puzzles. I'm still working on that.

I also finished mapping the big dark forest (I added an extra map) and began planning the lake. I've got the house done, both tidy and messed, and just need to add some cutscenes to it.

I also looked around for some kind of sprites for Frosty, though what I found I didn't like it too much. Hence turning him into just a hat. XD I also tried to find a face for Mopton, but I've not had luck finding one that would fit her breed. I started to try my hand at drawing one, but it's kinda horrible at the moment and doesn't fit in with the generator face that I had used for the Main Character. I guess I'll have to either find something that fits, get someone to help me with that or try doing custom for all of them. We'll see how that goes.

Here, have a map.

[​IMG]

mlogan, Shaz, DuncanS and 4 others like this.
  17. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Game making drive day 1

A rather productive day I must say! Finished to design two maps and made another one, did two short soundtracks and also designed some weapons and items for the occasion. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The two new tracks are pretty much an experiment at doing something weird and disturbing à la Mother 2 aka Earthbound but with my own touch. 

https://soundcloud.com/galiyuka/a-businessman-castle

Swingy bassline is back.  

https://soundcloud.com/galiyuka/the-wedding-corridor

You hear this track in the beginning room only which is a nuptial chamber where you wait for your future husband whom you hate with passion. I wanted it to be really weird and gruesome , contrasting with the cute setting of the golden cage you're stuck in. 

So this is the very first part of the game , a kind of "dungeon tutorial" but not only. 

Oh, and I also rearranged a battle track, had to do it for too long already. 

[​IMG]

numfanklewhat, Shaz and DuncanS like this.
  18. UsainSloth

UsainSloth Apprentice Member

First Language:
    English
    Day 3 (March 17th):

[​IMG]

Goal for each day: Finish a scene

Extra Goal for today: None

Replace placeholder: None

Finish a scene:

Sadly on mondays I have extra first aid classes and I come late at home. So I only got to tweaking most of my scenes. I pretty much smoothed out some animations and sounds so it would make the scene nicer. Fixed some dialogue box issue with some text.

Most of the things I do on monday will be tweaking and fixing of scenes, so I won't be adding new content to my project.

Shaz likes this.
  19. Blindga

Blindga Relax and Rethink Veteran

Day 1

I begin with a conversation with Jonnie, my musician and friend, over some ideas for setting and character re-designs.

To explain, originally my game was going to focus on a very dismal swamp-like world that was hostile and in uninhabitable. But I decided to move away from that a short while ago to focus more on the conflict of the main character and her actions instead of the conflict of the main character and her environment. I'm going with something set in a late mideival, early Rennaissance/cultural movement era now, while still wanting to keep some of the key ideas of the old setting, such as the world primarily being governed by damp weather and endless night, to create a sophisticated world with varying extremes of beauty and harshness. I decided after that to redesign the characters art (the four I have planned and the two I will now tweak) in order to better fit the setting, which is why I wanted to run the idea by someone before making the more drastic change of altering my character designs that would come with  the new setting.

I spent the past few minutes going over these details with Jonnie to try to get some feedback on the whole idea of changing the character designs to match the new setting and new character roles a bit better.

I know that seems like just talk, but its something I take very seriously. I consider talking with my friends and going over concepts in fine detail to be important, especially since my main goal is working towards the creation of a refined, clean pre-development concept to build the game from. Something that has been eluding me for over a month now.

As it stands, I have two characters I want to tweak and redo, and possbily test some different art styles (I am still a rookie artist). I hope to be down with some of that by today, and be ready to move on to the third of the six characters I need by tomorrow night. I hope afterwards that this will go more smoothly.

After I submit this I will take a short break for lunch, and then get onto doing some art.

For Chivalry.

[​IMG]

Shaz and Jonnie91 like this.
  20. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Day 3

First I spent a quite while doing more that forest I have previously mentioned it my last update and then I spent MANY hours to get that one mouse script well implemented for my project. If someone could help to fix target selection with mouse during battle, that would be swell but I guess it will take a while.

Also did contest entry for that farm mapping contest.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.