Game Making Drive March 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Archeia, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

DAY 1

I started on my battle theme. I've been working on it all day actually but only in small bits and pieces. It really came together in the last hour!  I hope to finish it tomorrow and replace the synth flute with me playing.

Edit: The bad news... I couldn't do it... the mic kept wigging out with noise and all sorts of gnarly things. ;-:

GOOD news: I managed to be able to record the pivotal flute screech from whence the entire song was born...

For your listening pleasure (????), my untitled Work In Progress

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    Shaz likes this.
  2. DuncanS

DuncanS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day 3 of 28!

More scripting - focusing on trying to develop an alternative to the way Ace handles equipment (the static etype_id array is so weird :S) for an equipment/customization system that will also be the basis for character classes. Also more work trying to layer Scenes to create a more open menu HUD, which is proving to be tricky ><;

Still working on a couple of requests and trying to find the time to do some writing. I need more hours per day TT

[​IMG]

Bonkers and Shaz like this.
  3. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Monday - 3/18/2014 - OFF DAY

Had some time I usually didn't have so I decided to start sketching out some ideas, mainly the difficulty system.  One of the biggest things about the game I'm working on (Code Name: Gehenna) is the fact that you choose a difficulty depending on the style of game play you are looking for.  Looking for a casual experience, or are you looking for more of the classic hardcore kind?  That's one of the main features of the game: I hope widen the audience for anyone whose looking to have fun, no matter what their fancy.

What difficulty would you choose? ;)

Casual

• Enemies lose 2 Levels of difficulty
    • Bonus EXP from battles
    • Death Penalty: Revive to 1 HP at the end of each battle.  Revival Items.
    • Enemies drop chests filled with item(s) every battle
    • Dungeon chests respawn every visit
    Normal

• Death Penalty: Stay dead after battles. Revival Items. Abbot will revive heroes for a small gold price.
    • Enemies drop chests filled with item(s) every 2 battles.
    • Dungeons chests respawn every visit
    Challenging

• Enemies gain 2 levels of difficulty
    • Bosses have additional difficulty mechanics
    • Death Penalty:  Stay dead after battles. No revival items. Abbot will revive heroes for a large gold price, Hero loses EXP.
    • Enemies drop chests filled with item(s) every 3 battles.
    • Dungeon chests respawn, however, loot gain weakens slowly over time.
    Gehenna

• Enemies gain 4 levels of difficulty
    • Less EXP from battles
    • Bosses have additional difficulty mechanics
    • Death Penalty: Stay dead after battles.  No revival items.  Abbot will revive heroes for large gold price OR half of your gold, whichever is greater, Hero loses a Level.
    • Enemies drop chests filled with item(s) every 4 battles.
    • Dungeon chests never respawn.
    No point given since post was made on an off day.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It would be better if you don't post your "off-day" progress. It just becomes too difficult to keep the scores right, and I either update the details in my spreadsheet, discover I shouldn't have, and have to reverse everything, or I don't realize it's an "off-day" post and give a team a point they shouldn't get.

If you want to post about your progress on those days when you haven't scheduled an update, could I suggest you look for another thread/forum that's appropriate and post it there? Game & Map Screenshots, Project Development thread, Game/Ideas Feedback thread are just a few possibilities.

Thanks for understanding :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    B.Ultimus likes this.
  5. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    My Day 2

I'm still ill and I didn't get much done -_- I hate this stupid stomach bug. I tried to power through it and take it off my mind while I was mapping for the Farm Map Contest. I think, I'm finished with it, but I keep adding stuff ^^' There is a ton of housework to be done before my family visits me thursday, but I'm too weak for it, so moving little pixels around is less straining. I want to try to make a video of my map, but I've never done a video. If anyone knows a good freeware video program that is suitable for recording rpg maker games, please send me a message ^^
    I also did some commission mapping work, but right now everything I do is super slow :( Sorry for the rant.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    Shaz likes this.
  6. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    @Hollow - I love that brown water. I think you're going for a feel of depth, but it really looks like a low-lying cloud is casting a shadow over it. It still looks interesting and pretty neat, though. If you wanted to give the illusion of depth, blur the edging with a bit of dither so that it looks like it gradually drops into darker water instead of sudden drops. Either way, it looks neat. Kinda sad you're not using the tree shadows properly, though. (Try adding the tileset via import and choosing the colour under the trees for semi-transparent. It looks pretty nice~<3 )

[​IMG]

Day 04

Today I did a bit of map touching up. Yay, go me. Ah, but that's not all I did~

I decided to work a bit more on resource gathering and started that off with monster graphics. Initially I wanted to use more serious monsters - to create a contrast with the ridiculousness of the game, but... Well, I couldn't really find a serious, dark pack of monsters that I liked. So I decided that if I couldn't have dark and serious I'd go with whimsical and cute instead. But... I was looking for a specific kind of monster and really couldn't find the one I wanted. So I just looked through different monster sets until I remembered that Thalzon had a huge series of monsters that might work. The looks is a bit, uh, 'derpy' and very stylised, but could fit the tone of the game pretty well, and there's a great range of different monster types, so... I decided on them. ^.^

Next up was something I'd kinda forgotten about. Test playing through what I've got of the game so far I realised there was something missing. Some integral part of every game. Music.

dayum.

Thus I began my search for decent music. It needed to be quirky and fit a snowy environment. Anyone want to guess how many snowy environment musical songs there are out there? Not as many as I'd like. And finding some quirky ones in there is pretty much hell. >.<; I did find a few tunes that might fit, and one that should fit in another area quite well, but I'll probably have to do another search later. orz

Anyone know if any of the music packs for sale have any decently quirky/snowy songs in them?

Shaz likes this.
  7. Hollow

Hollow (◡‿◡✿) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the feedback! The water actually looks like that because...well, there actually is a cloud casting a shadow over it.  :guffaw: I've got the opacity of the cloud overlay set pretty low so that it's not overbearing, but the clouds are much easier to see and recognize in-game as they're moving across the screen. Would the edges of the clouds still need to be blurred more, do you think? Or the opacity heightened? Oh, and I just messed with the tree shadows, and it worked! I was worried that having two colors set to transparent would also make the tilesheet's background color semi-transparent, and then I'd have a bunch of blue squares everywhere. :( I might try to go in and add a different outline color to the trunk since it looks a bit funny now, but I do like the shadow not being fully black. Thank you again for the tips!

As for your music inquiry... Hm, I just did a little search through the music that I have, and you're right: there really isn't a large collection of snow songs, let alone quirky snow songs. I think the one from the DS resource pack might work. There are a couple of other songs that I found, but they're not really quirky and/or upbeat.

Ksi likes this.
  8. Blindga

Blindga Relax and Rethink Veteran

Day 2:

Last night, and this morning's, progress was dismal. I was just too distracted with family things yesterday almost all day, and I overslept my scheduled morning work time today!

But that last one is because I stayed up way too late working on cleaning up one of my character concept pieces for some change, as well as a few experiments. I stripped it back down to the lines, fixed what I needed, and am very nearly ready to color it back up.

I'm way behind planned time, but today I know will be better. I will have plenty of down time thanks to the break.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  9. UsainSloth

UsainSloth Apprentice Member

First Language:
    English
    Day 4 (March 18th):
    [​IMG]

Goal for each day: Finish a scene
    Extra Goal for today: Learn how to create puzzles
    Replace placeholder: Lilith

Finish a scene:
    I completely re-wrote the whole intro scene, since it didn't have the impact I wanted. I also finally added some BGM to each map since I never came to it.

Learn how to create puzzles:
    I have to learn how to make puzzles. I just have no idea what good puzzles are or even how to make them engaging in rpgmaker. So I wanted to check out how to make puzzles in general.
    http://devmag.org.za/2011/04/16/how-are-puzzle-games-designed-introduction/

Lilith:

"I envy you. You have more choices than I do. I only make the best choices. You get to choose between a good choice and a bad choice."
     ​
    Lilith.png
    Lilith.png
     ​
    Edit:forgot to add face

Shaz likes this.
  10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    GMD DAY 1

Goal: Make a Vardo (gypsy wagon)

Somehow when making the plan for the day I'd completely forgotten both how large a wagon like that would have to be and how complexly detailed the design of a vardo is. I got it pretty much done from one view but then figured that was enough of that for the day because doing it from multiple angles or animating it would be too much for one day. I still have to decide if I dare attempt horses or if I'm just going to put that off until a future set.

I figured I should get something done from the "must be done before release" column of things to do, so I made a doorway for a mine. I still had a bit of time so I made a fire pit and even worked on the face generator.

Finishing the vardo is now the goal of the week, and if I'm good I'll finish a bunch of smaller things for the daily accomplishments so I can still check things off the list while getting things done.

[​IMG]
    Today's Goal: Draw the vardo facing forward and do something with fire.

[​IMG]

numfanklewhat, DuncanS, Shaz and 5 others like this.
  11. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Hm, the tree outline shouldn't be the same colour. Odd... Oh, are you using the sheets where there's a purple outline around the shadow? That was removed in one of the DS updates so that it's all one colour.  As for the clouds, I'm surprised they show up so darkly on the water but not the ground around it. Maybe it looks better in action. I think it looks fine, but perhaps a little blur on the edges might look okay. Try it out and see if you like it. ^.^  (Also, yeah I have that one snowy song from the DS but it's one of the very few that fit both genres. >.<; Thanks for the rec, though~ )

12. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    (Please guys don't forget to use the spoiler stuff when posting screens think about people like me with a random connection quality). 

Day 2

Well , today has been under the sign of tile editing and mapping + looking around for some useful scripts. 

I messed around mixing stuff from modern and futuristic tilesets (which means I unfortunately won't be able to share them, sorry.) 

[​IMG]

Remember the pink room I posted yesterday? Changed quite a lot. 

[​IMG]

Now it looks more like what it's supposed to be, namely toilets. 

[​IMG]

And here is a break room full of guards literally under the spell of these succubi. 
    I also corrected some weird stuff happening on an old project of mine. But you most probably won't see this one here because it's in french and is hardly translatable due to many play on words etc.

Tomorrow's objective : attempting to draw a bust that won't make anyone puke in horror. 

[​IMG]

numfanklewhat and Shaz like this.
  13. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    [​IMG]

GMD Day 3:

Didn't get much done but worked on my side-project today.

The purpose of this little fan-game is to strengthen my battle mechanic know-how, since the entire game is almost entirely combat centric, with no maps. 

- Since FE chars by default work with low numbers for HP, I muliplied the base HP and max HP by 10, giving longer, and ultimately, more interesting fights that are not drawn out.

- Depending on character affinities ( mentioned in my last update ), each unit has skill sets tied to a certain element: Eg: Fire-chars are prone to aggressive ( less evasion due to recklessness ), skills that increase power and critical rates, while Earth-chars are more wary ( better evasion ) and defensive/buff-type units etc.

[​IMG]

Yes, that's the character in my avatar. XD

[​IMG]

While the game normally uses two units in battle, in some rare instances units will have one-on-one matches ( normally tied to events from the original games. Mia, for example, has been searching for her 'white-robed rival' for the last three years ). Matches like this use the ATB battle system. Regular battles are turn-based. 

Awesome little thing about Battle Engine Melody, change battle styles with just a simple variable.

numfanklewhat and Shaz like this.
  14. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Game making drive, Day 3, March 18th:

Began mapping out the first non prologue dungeon area (though nothing pretty to show yet, it's mostly on paper) after successfully finishing my balancing problems for that area (theoretically anyway). Really liking the different ways of stat growth rather than just typical armor and leveling, though it makes balancing slightly less simple since it makes what the player might or might not have at a given time a little more variable, so it's a good thing the game is short. Not really much else to say today, and I'll not have any more time to work today either so short update, but tomorrows should be better and likely have screenshots.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  15. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My Day Two

I wanted a new cloud graphic, so decided to get on with that.  At the end I have several rather nice and useful mist/light fog graphics, whereas what I wanted was something which cast shadows - there is a storm coming up partway through this area, and I didn't want it to just arrive literally out of the blue.  Finally got there (I think).

Testing out the various iterations I spotted a few small mapping errors which I sorted and a missing transfer event.  Where did it go?  I've played through this area several times and never had a problem moving from one map to the next.  Gremlins!  The only explanation.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  16. Hesufo

Hesufo Homu! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    ( Am I allowed to post the update for my day 1? I did progress on my game but I forgot to post on time... I'll also edit my post later to add day 2 (today).

If I don't then disregard this update: )

Day 1:

[​IMG]

I worked on clarifying the text description of most abilities in my project, Realms of Arcanum, and including exact percentages on some buffing abilities so the player clearly knows what's going to happen, and maybe it will work as an incentive to make some skills shine better in comparison to more direct damage or healing abilities. I also tweaked some lackluster spells and moved TP and MP costs around for the sake of balance :)

On that note, another addition to the skill descriptions are the icons that portray whether a skill deals Physical or Magical Damage, so as to inform the player which skills are physical, and regulated by the Hit Rate, Evasion and Physical Damage Reduction, and which are magical, and affected by Magic Reflect, Magic Evasion and Magic Damage Reduction.

Here are two examples of a physical and a magical skill, respectively:

[​IMG]

numfanklewhat, DuncanS, Shaz and 2 others like this.
  17. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Day 4

Hehe, almost forgot to post this update. I worked with event comments to make mouse script to fit better for my project. That means a lot of events were replaced. I also squashed one compatibility problem.

I also made one of the forest maps a bit more pretty.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  18. Jonnie91

Jonnie91 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

[​IMG]

GMD 4: Tuesday 

Today I finished off a track for Clord you can listen to the finished track here! The first full on track I've written using Sonar X3. Oh what a joyous piece of software has to be the greatest DAW I've used definitely tops Reaper can't recommend it enough ^_^

Shaz likes this.
  19. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day three: Worked out the conditional event to handle dialog for all the Goddess choices (accept, reject, neutral) available to the player and attached it to various people in Town 2. Filled out the dialog for most of them. At this point in the game it really doesn't do much mechanically to the player (other than some special items and pricing at merchants): it's there to drive home to the player that their choices matter, and there is no choice that will make everyone happy. Even "solving" the towns problems will leave many quite upset with the players...

I also spent some time going though all my background music tracks, moving duplicates out of the folder (mostly .ogg vs .mp3 - a few were key changes), and sorting them into different folders to make them easier for me to go through and find the right music as I go on. Last bit is searching for the notebook that has all my maps in it. There were plot notes in that one as well - so I really do need to find it.

Edit: Found my notebook! Not only does it have the maps and plot notes, it has all my ideas as I went along - why the combat system works the way it does, thoughts for a class system, an 'element' system for the world - even keeping track of time. As well as the notes about characters and plot points and outlines - even notes for a lot of the background music tracks: what they 'feel' like and how they might be used.

^THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN.

Pencil and paper make for a very reliable 'backup' system.

Shaz likes this.
  20. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Shaz likes this.