Game Making Drive March 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Archeia, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Hollow

Hollow (◡‿◡✿) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GMD Day 4 - March 18, 2014

Well, today I don't have any pictures to show (mostly because I'm too sleepy to deal with getting them here e_e"), but I worked on implementing Liberty's advice and started sketching up a portrait for another character. Also started drafting another cutscene, which meant figuring out move routes, any variables/switches I'll need to use, actual dialogue, etc.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  2. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day 2

[​IMG]

* Wrote a couple of more scenes

* Line, flatted and shaded a battler~

Shaz likes this.
  3. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Game Making Drive Day 3

• Started and finished five of the random maps that are randomly accessed when the player gets lost in Greencliff Forest.
    • Created the pseudocode and plans for owning an item store in the game.
    • More optimizing old maps, what a bad habit.

These maps are not in order of progression. They're accessible randomly, inspired by the Hidden Temple/Labyrinth Forest in Ragnarok Online.

[​IMG]

numfanklewhat, Shaz and B.Ultimus like this.
  4. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    DAY 2

I finished the battle theme! "Ready for battle!"  It's pretty darn catchy if I do say so myself... I had planned to play the entire melody but mic issues and other gnarly stuff prevented that. ;-:

The good news is I was able to play a little bit... the little bit being a screech that inspired the entire song.

For those who aren't familiar with music production, it may not seem like time-consuming work for just one song, but it is... D: I DID work from 9-10 PM but I wasn't able to post until now.

For those who would like a listen here is the song link. In the game it looks in OGG format.

Mercanaries +1 :)

numfanklewhat, vexverbose and Shaz like this.
  5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A few people have asked me about posting progress they make on their "off" days. Until now, I've asked them not to, because it would be too difficult for me to filter out the posts that should contribute points to the group, and those that shouldn't. However, I understand that when you make progress, you WANT to talk about it, and you might not want to wait until your next update is due. So I've played around a bit with the spreadsheet, and it will now notify me if somebody posts an update on a day that's not in their original schedule.

So, from now on, if you do work on your game on an "off" day, you MAY post about your progress. PLEASE make a very clear note at the beginning of the post, that this IS an "OFF DAY" for you, just like this (it will just make it that much easier for me - otherwise I have to update my spreadsheet, get the notification that it's not one of your scheduled days, and then go check your days/times and your previous posts, and I really don't want to have to do that). Posts on "off" days will NOT contribute points to your team, so your FIRST priority should be working and updating on the days you've scheduled.

B.Ultimus, Archeia and Bonkers like this.
  6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    personally I think they could probably keep a blog (for member+) or a separate dev thread for off days... I just really feel like cluttering this thread with off day posts just make it harder for the mods to handle it...

Lars Ulrika likes this.
  7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I did suggest other appropriate threads to the people who asked.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. If it does become too difficult to keep track of, I'll revert back to our original decision.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  8. DuncanS

DuncanS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Day 4 of 28!

Very late post due to some things, but today was mainly spent scripting a menu interface and trying to get as much done as I could after a busy day ;n;

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  9. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Day 3 

So... today has started with a failed attempt at drawing busts myself. I won't even bother to show it. Well, anyway....

I also corrected something on this first map

[​IMG]
    I spent the rest of the day working on new events, designing an animation for some very special coffee the player can get in the guard room and refining dialogs. 

Oh, and I'm not alone anymore to work on this project. An american friend joined me as a writer and it will be a huge relief regarding spelling mistakes etc. 

Tomorrow I plan on working on new maps and experiment some new tile edits I thought about tonight. Oh, and also try (I said TRY) to make Insoppa holding a rifle when firing a rifle. That would be nice, somehow. 

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    Shaz likes this.
  10. numfanklewhat

numfanklewhat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Day 2 - WED mar 19

The rundown of what I did today:

- Finished polishing cutscene CG that I did last week.
    - Managed to finish 2 out of 3 recruitable quest event for a character, as always vicious cycle abound! this time combined with a pain of synchronising two event move route, so the cutscene is working as it is intended to be.

- Did a redraw of certain character portrait emotion, since I notice something not quite right with the anatomy, I might have a severe case of OCD when it comes to thing like this.. so instead of doing as I planned today to make new portrait, I ended up fixing up all portrait that doesn't look quite right *sigh*.

No screenies to post at all, since there is nothing quite interesting today but a routine of eventing and fixing stuff. :thumbsup-right: :ninja:

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  11. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Day 05

Today I didn't have much time to do RM stuff. I've got a house inspection tomorrow so the day was basically spent cleaning the place and making sure it's all spik and span for when the inspector arrives. That said, I did manage a solid hour between odd jobs. Basically just did some resource edits - I'm working on an ice water that looks like, you know, ice. I did have one but it turned out that the dayum thing was animated. >.<;

Also managed a bit of dialogue and scenes but I think I'll need to edit them anyway since I was rushed at the time and I'm not sure that it flows properly.

Lastly, tried my hand at another faceset for Mopton, but... yeah, I'm really bad at drawing. >.<;

Shaz likes this.
  12. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    GMD DAY 2

Goal: Draw the vardo facing forward and do something with fire.

When I sat down to work I felt like making character designs which is something I'd been avoiding so I just went with the impulse. I designed a villager woman and an MC variant, which I think is how I'm going to design all the characters. I'm naming this character Priska. I'll make parts for everything in the generator and then make face sets with expressions for the MC's. That should give people enough material to work with. I got a good start on the bust version of Priska.

I also got my goal done, the vardo can now face forward, and since it was easier to get it done while it was all in layers, the back facing view got done too. The secondary goal of making something with fire was at least started, I now have a very long and endlessly tileable log with flames along it for a single frame.

[​IMG]
    Today's Goal: Make a patternless carpet tile that doesn't look modern. Work more on Priska's bust.

[​IMG]

13. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    My Day 3

Today I finally implemented the animated river in my map, no more mapping rivers! I also did some minor behaviour and animation sprites for the map, but I will reuse them for the farm contest, too. The animations are not very smoothly, but at the moment it's the best I can do.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  14. Blindga

Blindga Relax and Rethink Veteran

Day 3

Sorry I am late everyone. I had lunch with my parents come up out of the blue.

Anyways, I have been speaking with Makio-Kuta and a few others on some art ideas that I want to try. I've long since been a fan an active user of the 'shoujo/shounen' style of characters, with a focus on youthful looks and thin proportions. I have a few ideas I want to try, but to avoid a self-debate, I want to get support and go with the first one I like and move on quickly..

I am still talking with Makio on what I could do to smooth out some irregularities and flaws in this first design. If that doesn't work I will take a setback and start over from the original model, but I am hoping to finalize the changes today and move on to coloring. As it is, I hope to have three fully finished charaters by the end of the week. I think if I can move on today, I should reach that goal easily.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    Shaz likes this.
  15. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    [​IMG]

GMD Day 3:

Not much to report on. Got home a little late from work and I was tired, so all I could manage was some boring database work ( need those days once in a while where no graphical work is being done ) and trying to balance 45+ odd skills. To say nothing of enemy skills.

Tomorrow will be better, hopefully. 

Shaz likes this.
  16. UsainSloth

UsainSloth Apprentice Member

First Language:
    English
    Day 5 (March 19th):
    [​IMG]

Goal for each day: Finish a scene
    Extra Goal for today: Writing
    Replace placeholder: None

Finish a scene:
    I had some fun with variables and animations making a very action-y(?) scene. sadly I didn't completely finished it since I couldn't come up with non cheesy dialogue. So I figured i check out some writing tutorials.

Writing:

I had a hard time looking for writing tutorials so I checked out other rpg maker forums.

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=41077

I will probably look into some more writing tutorial and slow down making my game. Working on the more minor details tomorrow so don't expect too much.

Usually my most heavy updates will be on saturdays and sundays.

Sorry for the rather late update! Wild guests appeared, so I had to take care of them first before I could update my post.

Shaz likes this.
  17. Pern

Pern Hello Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Entry #2

[​IMG]

So I've got a basic idea for a battle system. But man is it going to take a ton of time and effort to balance it. The general theme is out of my head and I just started working on it in the maker, but other than that, I don't have much of a direction yet. But you have to start somewhere, it's all in the process. There's no awe factor involved so I don't know how successful it'll be. I'm also torn on whether to make enemies random encounters or have them chase the character. I know people don't like the random encounters for various reasons but I don't have any problem with them. It's kind of a staple for RPGs to me. And I could never get the evented chase character battles implemented correctly. They'd either wouldn't turn to 'attack' the player or just get stuck behind the followers. Also, as a player, I'd be more inclined to ignore an area with a monster in it if I could see it. Not sure yet but I have some time to figure that out. Edited some character pictures in photoshop the best I could since I'm no artist.

And that's all I did today.

Shaz likes this.
  18. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Day 5

I made small demo out of my project so that the potentially interested scripters can help me and get paid, it also took quite while surprisingly. Then I later mapped a new forest map that is still going to need some polish. It is called "Everwoods" and will have many more maps in it.

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My Day 3

As with my first project, I have 5 members in the active party.  This means that once the 5th member has joined, the Battle Test in the Troops tab of the database is useless, as it will only ever show 4 actors.  This has meant having a battle map in-game to test out enemies, and - trust me on this one - that is a lot more time and effort than using the normal battle test.

Today I put out  a forlorn request if anyone knew a way of getting round the problem.  At first my fears that the answer would be "it's impossible" were confirmed; but then Tsukihime rode to the rescue with a new script which works like a dream!  So I spent some time setting it up (it requires a bit of extra work at the beginning) and have been testing it out to make sure there are no hidden wrinkles.  None have come to light and it means I can start some serious work on balancing enemies without an additional 50% of time involved.

So kudos to Tsukihime!

[​IMG]

Shaz likes this.
  20. T.Bit

T.Bit Labyrinth Explorer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wednesday 3/19:

Today I wrote up character bios to help me right scenes better (because I hit writers block). I also spent a few hours (aka most of my dev time) making this map for the Farm Mapping Contest.

[​IMG]

View attachment 12042

Shaz likes this.