The Vintage Tiger Cub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Day 6.

Earlier, I have done some mapping for the side-project. I am playtesting Cromwell after all the modifications are done.

Added Shop NPC's, and implemented some quests. 

That's all for now.

Go Go, Mercs!

Kale

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
GMD: 2nd Update ( I think?)

Today I worked on concept art for characters and then I began a new portrait. (see spoiler). It's still a work in progress. I'm making some headway but I'm finding myself getting frustrated due to my lack of time. I can't wait until August when I'll be able to devote a lot more time to my project. Anyway, I worked on the art end for the most part, just working out what people will look like. Oh, and I mapped out a new area, a part of the village that is in my game.

(WIP)

lightleaf

My burden is solely mine and of no one else.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Guess > <
Primarily Uses
~My GMD Day 10~

...Just realized that I've spent my day fixing up bugs in the event. Man, the more you make them, the harder it is to fix. :(

Otherwise I started refining the story a little bit, because the dialogues in the cutscenes were getting way to long. I personally wouldn't mind (I've definitely been through worse), but I'm sure that not a lot of people want to sit and watch ten minutes of autorun event everytime something happens. And it's really hard to try to slim it down without degrading the story. This took most of my time today.

See you all next week :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Needle

Sharp as a Tack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Day 16 - May 18th

Entry #9

Went to an MLB game Saturday night, which was great fun, but otherwise spent almost the entirety of the weekend building some complexities of my Serene Spire dungeon. It's come to my attention that no good dungeon is built in an hour, or even a day... Even after one whole week, the Serene Spire is maybe halfway complete, but I've impressed myself with how crazy good it's turning out.

The second "floor" of this dungeon features a rather simple switch puzzle where the correct path keeps changing as the bridges that connect each island disintegrate. I created the graphic for the "switch globe" myself by drawing/coloring it really big in Flash, and then shrinking it way down and recoloring/retouching in Photoshop. The lighting effects are simple above-character events.

Check out some glowing globe switches behind the cut!

Want to open the door? The six glowing globes on the large pillars are connected to glowing globes on the lower platforms, but they've got to be activated in a specific order, and the pathways between globes are unstable at best...

Next up, I had to create an intro logo for the Serene Spire. As mentioned before, all my dungeons start with a slow introductory pan, where a logo showing the name of the dungeon appears. This only happens the first time you arrive in a dungeon - all times after, it's standard fare. Each logo has some flair to it that relates to the theme of the dungeon.

Implemented logo behind the cut!

The two pillars in the logo are actually designed to collapse halfway through the introductory pan. It's a neat effect using simple picture rotation. 

And of course, it was time to start eventing out some of the cutscenes that explain what's going on. My game never takes itself too seriously, so I always have a lot of fun coming up with nutty dialogue between characters that have a hard time staying focused on the task at hand.

Dumb internal monologue behind the cut!

One of my characters, Trevor, is not only extremely gullible, but prone to self-destructive daydreaming. This often leads to very particular inner monologues that temporarily send him off the deep end.

Whew, that was a big post! I think my game is almost due for a name (yes, I have no name) and possibly an Early Development thread. Really happy with how things are turning out. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of this stuff with the community very soon.

Merc Power!

William MC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng. & Span.
Primarily Uses
I meant to post this yesterday but I got tired and fell asleep. :guffaw:

GMD: Day 6 May 17th

Well today I took the time to draw out the first edition of the logo for my game. This is only the outline, I hope to be trying out my newly acquired Corel Painter program to paint a nice looking version. Here's hoping it works. It may be hard to tell in this sketch, but it says "Stains of Darkness" and has some crystals in the background with some dark mist around them and on the sides.

I'm working on the characters skill charts too. It's soo hard to plan out skills when I'm not sure how to make them unique for each character. Haha but I'll figure it out. I'm going to play a little Final Fantasy V to get some ideas for skills that I can do.

That's all for today.

+1 Team Mercenaries

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Day 13

I spent the whole day trying to learn how to do custom animations for victors scripts and I configured the first battler into the game: If you want to watch the ridiculous little battle go here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjqc2ct897aaooq/ScreenCapture_5-18-2014%2010.27.46%20PM.wmv

Plus I tried to overhaul the graphics, which did not go well... so I did this with the help of monkeyintartan: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s31zykwxxqqlzsi/Screenshot%202014-05-18%2021.40.09.png

Tomorrow I will be doing another map for Lamenting Tomato for a bit... then I should finish the first dungeon. I still need to get the alternate outlines done >_> got to stop stalling myself with maps and other aspects, but hey! Either way its progression.

Bonkers

Get ready to be Wowed!
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finished up a sprite sheet and sent it off.

Made sure to do at least 8 behaviors and 3 downed poses for this DS sprite.  Credit to Sore Janai for the original desgin

this is a Fan Sprite for the character Alma from "Search of Immortality"

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Entry #5:

Was very busy polishing an upcoming release which will be a collaboration.

Polishing included bug-busting, refining, balacing out stats etc. For the time being I'm leaving out very very minor corrections such as small mapping mistakes or tiny details.

Also taught collaborator a few things so they can improve on their game making in the future - I know they like such hints :)

Ink-Dragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
DAY 11

Today I mapped out & added the events to the Cave area of the first dungeon. I then began planning for the next area of the dungeon.

Jonnie91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Day 11 May 17th

Swear I updated here -_- but I didn't -smacks hand-  Today I worked more on the courtroom battle track, and then sent of a track for feedback, then worked on trying to fix the problem that IK Multimedia keep making. 

Day 11 May 18th

Finished the Courtroom battle track that was commissioned, and sent it to commissioner for feedback! Ready to upload the next day. Then wrote some lyrics for another commission (yes, I write lyrics too) for tracks. Sent the lyrics over to commissioner to get their feedback, got abit distracted  talking about the lovely weather we were having :D then I started work on another commission track for Clord. 

Day 11 May 19th

(Gonna start the update now, and then update more later on)

Waiting for one commissioner to pop online (time zones suck) to send him the updated version of the track I mentioned a few days ago. Also continuing work on a Big Bad Boss battle theme for  Clord. About half way through, and finally fixed all the issues with IK Multimedia Total Workstation, a beautiful purchase, now I've finally got it to work :D  

(More to come later)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
GMD Day 9

I became distracted by important and less important stuff, but I still managed to work more than 30 minutes. I started mapping a new map fro Proect RMW. I like picking out the "hard" ones, where you go from example dessert to grass field. This one's a combination of a stately house near a grassfield and a ruined dessert-type house. Not yet sure what to do with the middle of the map. I'll take another look at it tomorrow.

I also added some dialogue to certain NPCs. The gossiping girls will now randomly be gossiping about something/someone. I'll probably add more dialogue to them, when the rest of the NPCs/houses are more fleshed out.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Day 11

Started yet another battler. Wasn't able to finish it due to back pain...So here's just a WIP...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My Day 11

I posted last week that I thought I'd finished all the battlebacks - wrong!  I have to redo a few, fortunately not many.  Managed to do two, but at the moment I'm completely without even an idea to sketch out for the others.  The trouble is that each battleback is location specific, and it's not going to be easy to think of something else for these particular locations.  Hmm.

Those battlebacks took well over the required 30 minutes, but I did spend some time making notes about skills for the next game as well.  As it will involve split parties, I have to take into account the need to ensure that both parties are viable, without duplicating anything.  This is going to be tricky.

Needle

Sharp as a Tack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Day 17 - May 19th

Entry #10

This may actually end up being my smallest GMD post... I don't think anyone is reading these novels of mine anyway. :)

Tonight I eschewed my usual development to build something my game desperately needed - a "hub map" for debug purposes. It's a very simple field map, with warps to each of the areas I've started building. This allows me to gain access to all of my maps from one starting player position. Also, it allows me to start thinking about how transfer positions change after autorun cut scenes, how weather effects, BGS, and picture effects need to turn on and off transferring from map to map as well. It's all "under the hood" continuity stuff, and none of it is fun or interesting... But it's got to be taken care of.

My super lame Hub World map behind the cut!

The hub world contains warps to all five of my current locations, since I don't have a world map yet. The sign is dev notes, so if I hand this off to anyone else to test events or proofread dialog, they'll know what works and what doesn't.

Guess I'll keep building my maps when my turn comes back around on Wednesday! Toodles for now.

Mercs 'R Us!

Pern

Hello
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Entry #7

Started work on the second southern country. It's turned out to be a lot harder than the previous. Not sure why? Everything starts out as a big green box and I add/subtract from there. Eventually, it lead to my roughed out area and I put towns and landmarks, which worked for the first. I just can't find a good starting place on this one though. I've copied and deleted it a good number of times now. But I'll figure it out.

Camii

Cat aficionado
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
GMD Day: 11

Im ready, Im ready to go to work! 

Today I didn't have much time so I just worked on a small thing...

I revamped a lot of the text to sound nicer and to be less... boring!

I also re-worked the first monster encounter in the game to include a sort of tutorial and

to also show the personality of the main character a bit more.

O21qbjI.png

JohnnyR

Dungeon Master
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Day 14

I finally decided to add some features to the game.. I added some scripts and fixed a few bugs.. I also did some tileset editing and fixed a few things that were missing on my World Map. I am now working on doing more stuff on the story so I can do more things together instead of making little by little.. I still have 17 scripts to add and test, but they're all very difficult to edit, so I'm taking it slowly and I'm focusing more on the story..  

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Day 14!

Went ahead and took a break from trying to learn how to animate skills and finished the Water Temple maps. Evented it and added tricks and traps! This will be traded for another few battlers for the game. No I did not finish the factory... I got carried away with the Water Temple. I have to do what I feel most inspired to do.

Other than that my artist is working on refining some facesets and finishing one and my mapper Atelier finished the Crypt dungeon for the game. Now I just have to catch up and finish up the events for Aura plains and the Factory.

Tomorrow I aim to get that factory chase scene done! No distractions, going to get motivated for it and sweep it to the side. After that I might go do some outlining or skills it depends on what I want to do.

Ink-Dragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
DAY 12

Today I mapped the Ice area of my dungeon. I also set up a few scripts for the next areas.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Day 6

I made the mistake of trying to write yesterday as well as do the GMD. Add to that an visit from my brother and RP getting moved and it just became a hopeless cause. I finished a treasure chest animation but it only took a few minutes and that was all that got done. I just can't focus on art once I'm in writing mode.

FAIL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

12 done, 4-5 started. Now that the weekend is over, things will sloooowwwww down again proabably.
when you're completely done with someone's crap lol...
Ami
--- Survival For RPGist Part 3 ---

F.Healer: Here it is,I made the Simple Sandwich
Survivalist
: it's so Delicious!
Chef: Here you Go! My Gourmet Steak.
Survivalist: It's Super Delicious,Too!
F.Mage: I Made it for you!
F.Healer: Uhh...Charcoal?
F.Mage No,It's a Toast!
Chef: Did you Let it in 10 Minutes?
F.Mage: Maybe?