Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kes yeah, there's a gap on the right side that's big enough... S'not super obvious though, so I'll make it bigger. o3ob
    Thanks for you help! :D

@CrazyCrab I'd make the back box a little smaller, or change the screen resolution a bit. Right now it looks very 50/50 even though I measured and I know it's 2/3 1/3.

2. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @CrazyCrab , ah good old Baldur's Gate II! I still play that game every now and again. I agree with @ashikai that the black box looks like it takes up a lot of space which is a little off putting in a simple screenshot. Are you planning on having icons/descriptions (or inventory or whatever else is relevant to your game) showing up on there like in BG2?

Building more interiors but trying to find a good match between content versus logic. Meant to be a poor servant's house.
    [​IMG] [/screenshot]

Marquise* likes this.
  3. Veltra

Veltra That Guy Veteran

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not very decorated. What should go in this lobby? room.PNG

Marquise* likes this.
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Veltra Without knowing what type of building it is that is a difficult question to answer.

5. Veltra

Veltra That Guy Veteran

First Language:
    English/French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, yes. It's a formal mansion interior for a horror game. Nothing broken down or anything, but fancy in it of itself.

6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Veltra Mansions will not have walls which are only one tile high. If you try and put objects in there - even a basic wall cupboard - they are going to be taller than the walls. It will also mean that the head of the sprite is scraping the ceiling the whole time. So first off, change that.

Then consider what you are doing with your ceiling tile, particularly at the top. You have it solid, rather than giving the impression of being a wall. Yet if it is a lobby, that is an outside wall. The ceiling cannot stretch back that far, this is a mansion, not an underground room. So that would be the next thing to change. Assuming that it is indeed an outside wall, then you will need windows of a suitably grand style.

Here is an example of what I mean. I've done it quickly with the snipping tool instead of taking a proper screen shot, so it's a bit blurred. You will see that the walls of the room are clearly indicated. But the room itself is still smaller than the screen. That is not a problem which needs to be solved in the way that you have.

upload_2018-3-25_7-41-26.png

This is a rather grand mansion, so there is plenty of 'empty' space. However, it is broken up by having a more interesting floor tile than the plain wood floor you have chosen. Remember you can give visual interest by doing that, rather than having to do it always by putting objects. The example given also in part answers your question about what objects to put in.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  7. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @ashikai I give you multi-limbed giant animated monsters on all directions with quad-insect wings that are thrice the length of Ace's Big_Monsters you gimme your ISO palaces? pwetty please with a sugah on it? ^^

@Kes your mansion's tones seems harmonious

8. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for all the feedback, I made some changes to the weapon shop.

Screen8.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  9. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  10. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tuomo L That is indeed much better. I am still not, however, convinced by the elaborate carving on the counter and its fancy shape. This is a weapon shop, not an up-market boutique. I would have something more robust and plain, that won't get wrecked by people clanging axes down on it as they inspect them.

11. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    *phew* Library done. Had to go back and update my old maps so the tilesets matched (I replaced the old bookshelves and such). Still a bit bare in places, but I'm thinking a bunch of NPCs would probably make up for that.
    Thanks for all the feedback! :D
    [​IMG]

@Tuomo L MUCH better! The only thing that stands out is that small counter by the entrance. I'm not really sure what purpose it serves. The rest looks great. :D

mlogan, Marquise*, Pern and 1 other person like this.
  12. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tuomo L - I think it is a vast improvement over the original, and the service counter looks fine to me. For all we know, it could be made from a solid block of hardwood that could withstand having heavy equipment being placed on it. I really like that floor in the weapon-making room. Did you make it yourself or buy it in a pack?

@ashikai - The library looks really good. Not sure about the carpet though. Also, there appears to be too many books and not enough bookshelf in the far back right corner.

13. beliziam

beliziam Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Germany
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Currently working on the entrance area of the home base of my game:
    [​IMG]

Marquise* and Jeremiah Eastman like this.
  14. Jeremiah Eastman

Jeremiah Eastman Gladiator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there was just checking out your map, I'd say you are off to a great start, I love the tiles you are using, especially the look of the light shining in through the window, I've never seen anyone apply that affect. I like the use of that symbol and the variety of items in the forge area. I look forward to seeing how this map progresses.

15. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Entrance to Cloudfall, the city you're trying to save in Strangers of the Power 2.

16. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tuomo L I wonder about how much space you've left 'behind' the two houses with blue roofs. The side walls look like they only have 2 tiles up from the front of the house to where they turn right to form the back of the enclosure. Assuming there is a gap between the back wall of the house and the enclosure wall, that makes your house only one (or, at most 2) tiles deep. This gives a really weird perspective to the map, taking out any sense of depth and so giving the impression of flatness. You've probably done the same with the Inn, but too much is cut off for me to form a firm opinion.

You have what appears to be 4 wooden lamp posts and 2 clashing metal lamp posts. Even if you disagree about them clashing, 6 lamp posts in such a tiny area seems a little excessive.

The way that you have placed the chimney pots on the right hand house is problematic. Chimney pots will be relatively close to where the flue from the fire comes up. That would mean that the fire was immediately behind the window - unlikely as that would block the window from having any function. I suggest you move it either right or up or both.

Purely personal preference kicking in on the final point. I don't think having such low roofs works with those houses. They add to the flatness feeling of the map because the implied angle of their slope would only allow for a narrow depth for the building.

17. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes I really didn't think that the tiny lamps clash, in fact I thought the little lanterns were kinda cute. That's why there's more of them at the ends of the roads, plus they take a lot less space than the large ones.

I'm happy to reveal the title screen for the game

[​IMG]

The title screen is animated with particle effects and moving background layers, while each playable character gets shown on the title screen.

Guiguimu, AllyJamy and Marquise* like this.
  18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tuomo L I have no problem with the wooden lamp posts and agree that they fit well. It's the 2 sophisticated ones I think less appropriate and unnecessary, particularly as they impede the main road from the town's entrance.

19. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll try without the big lamps and see how it looks. I'm not really sure what you mean by the wall depths or how to fix them.

20. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tuomo L For speed I used the snipping tool, so a bit blurred. This is what I mean. The house on the left is how you have done it, the house on the right is how I am suggesting you do it.
    upload_2018-3-26_15-57-7.png

The implication of having the wall turn to the right so low down as you do it is that there is very little space in that enclosure to have a house which has any depth to it. By moving the turn up a tile, you are implying a larger enclosure and therefore a deeper house. You take up no more space on the map, but the house looks deeper and therefore gives a better perspective to the map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.