Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amy Pond I like the font; it fits well with the general atmosphere of the library. The only thing is, it looks like the bookcases in front are facing the wall, making it difficult to access the books?

@gigaswardblade I don't think it's cluttered, bearing in mind the player will only see a small part of the map at a time, and you expect a world to have a lot of different places in it. A couple of things, though. In the north and southeast, you have mountains running along the edges of coastlines. The river coming from the mountains in the east takes a realistic course up to about where the city is, and then it flows towards the next range of mountains, and then abruptly stops. The water needs to go somewhere, so the river should continue until it meets the ocean.

@Nhyvir Same problem on your map with mountains along coastlines. Also, the river coming from the NW mountains gets way too close to the other mountains; realistically there would be foothills there and the river would have to avoid them. Finally, the cities in the SW and NE corners would more likely be on the nearby rivers.

DarkHunter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How look good or bad in this place "Blue Crystal"?
ScreenShot_20180125_082226.jpg

Nhyvir

Tactical Oni
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aoi Ninami I'm a bit confused by the issue with mountains on the coastlines, I don't know much about it but is it really a problem to have them? I feel if I removed them some of them it would cause the country map to look flat. as for the foothills that sounds more like an issue that comes with using the RTP right? I'll try to find some resources for that but I wouldn't even know where to look.

Edit: Also, towns on the rivers, I didn't think of that

Edit: 2 How would I go about adding elevation to the world map? is there a script for that or would I have to do some fiddling in the map resources as well?

Last edited:

gigaswardblade

narcisistic narcoleptic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DeviTheHuman im not too entirely sure what you mean. i may be a little biased because i made this map, but i dont really see how its cluttered and too hard to focus on certain things. i did try my best to spread things out as far as i could while not making too many areas look like a baron wilderness.

@Aoi Ninami i dont understand what you mean when you said "The river coming from the mountains in the east takes a realistic course up to about where the city is, and then it flows towards the next range of mountains, and then abruptly stops." can you maybe draw some lines to where its supposed to flow? also, whats wrong with mountains on a coast line?

id be more than glad to answer questions about certain locations if you're wondering what in the name of skipper the penguin theyre supposed to be. i should also mention just in case that this is a map map and not an overworld that you can walk on. though im sure most of you already knew that from looking at it.

(ps i just now removed that random hospital near the cliff in the south east and the mansion that was in front of the wall.)

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gigaswardblade The problem with the river in the desert is this: it appears to start on the east side in mountains. It then flows across the desert and stops. Where does the water that is continually flowing from the east go once it meets the mountains in the west? What I think Aoi Ninami means is that when the river meets the foothills that would be at the base of the western mountains, those foothills would divert the course of the river. It would then flow south between the gap in the mountains and flow into the ocean.

gigaswardblade

narcisistic narcoleptic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aoi Ninami
@Kes

i don't know if either of you noticed the oasis at the end of the river. it may be really hard to see since i had to make the image smaller in order for it to fit onto the forum.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@RocketKnight A few things to help you improve your maps:
Pic 1: I think the angle of the staircase doesn't match the curve of the stone pillar. The way it is, it's not round.
Pic 2: Are the red dots around the windows artefacts from the picture compression or a graphic mistake? And the added shadows don't always match the light sources.
Pic 3: You could add a glare around the fire for a better effect.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gigaswardblade In that case the oasis would quickly flood if the water entering it has nowhere to go. It still needs to flow on to somewhere.

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Pic 2: Are the red dots around the windows artefacts from the picture compression or a graphic mistake? And the added shadows don't always match the light sources.
I thought his pictures looked pretty good, but I did not see that at first!

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RocketKnight I love the fact that even without mentioning HP, it is visually recognizable in everymap! Like Hogwart Castle, Gryffindor common room, and Quidditch Worldcup Camp, all stand-out and instantly recognizable. Nice job!

Here is the latest screenshot of the scene I've done for Wanda. A memorable night of a birth of a new adventure .
Please have a look and share me your thoughts :LZScat:

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cabfe
Pic 1: It's the best i could do. :( I didn't like that either.
Pic 2: Picture compression, photoshop somethings bugs.
Pic 3: I'll try man.

DeviTheHuman

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DeviTheHuman im not too entirely sure what you mean. i may be a little biased because i made this map, but i dont really see how its cluttered and too hard to focus on certain things. i did try my best to spread things out as far as i could while not making too many areas look like a baron wilderness.
There are a lot of buildings and structures on the map, particularly on the left side, so it looks very busy and crowded. But that's to me. As Ai Nanami points out, the player will only see a small portion of the map at a time, so I guess it's not a big deal.

Are players able to visit all of those buildings and towns?

gigaswardblade

narcisistic narcoleptic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes what do you suppose i do about it?

@DeviTheHuman yes you do visit them all. there has to be some checkpoints where you can rest and restock between adventures. although there are some areas that are more important than others. like the big city being a sort of hub area while as the area behind those mountains near the military base you really only visit once . some areas i might remove if i find them to be useless, but other then that, you get to visit them all.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gigaswardblade As I said in my first feedback on this map, it would naturally flow south between the gap in the mountains and out into the sea.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DarkHunter
Depends on what kind of game it is. The map looks a tad artificial (although it is very beautiful) but can work depending on contect!

@Thomas Smith
Looks really cozy and natural!

@SomaelCK
Very nice! Very Earthbound-y. I like the contrast between the futuristic characters and the person wearing the straw-hat.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gigaswardblade That sorts out the river problem, though you might want to think about how to make rivers actually meet the sea rather than stop short, which is the issue with the default use of the river autotile. I use a B-E sheet tile which covers over the last tile so that it makes the river join the sea. For example,
upload_2018-1-26_17-33-39.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Please don't create long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand around talking.
What if I took a lesson from Half Minute Hero? Let the player get dumb powerful each area, but reset them down to just slightly stronger than before for the next map?
Been averaging 2-3 hours sleep for almost a month now. Starting to space out all the time ^^;
loopk wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Nice to meet you. My name is loopk.
May I use the materials distributed here for adult games for sale?

Thank you in advance.
loopk wrote on Avery's profile.
Nice to meet you. My name is loopk.
May I use the materials distributed here for adult games for sale?

Thank you in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heracrim