Status
Not open for further replies.

EtsuaCoil

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone, first time posting in one of these threads in a while and I'm hoping more some feedback and advice on a map I'm working on. It's a fantasy setting academy/guild hall. My problem with it is that it feels too empty (I struggle with this on my indoor maps) and I was curious as to what other things I can use from the RTP to make it feel less empty.

Any other advice on how I can make it look better would be appreciated too. Also I feel like I should mention that I have added windows after having taken this picture, so disregard that if you will :)

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@EtsuaCoil you're exactly right, it is a nice map but there's way too much empty space.

let's start from the bottom up. walking into the first part, the space between the walls is good, and the walls are decorated nicely by the banners - you may want to consider having paintings, stone tablets, or some mounted weapons/armor for variety, but this is a small issue. the main thing here is that you need to fill the bloor! you don't need to be a pro mapper for this, just throw in some barrels, crates, urns, chests - it looks very odd that there is just empty space all around.

moving up to the middle section is the biggest problem with the map - the room is WAY too big! you can simply take away 2 or 3 tiles of height, and you can reshape the sides so you don't have those big bottom corners of blank space.

as for the top room, again - you can add in some barrels/urbs/crates/chests to make it look less empty. and maybe some windows here?

hope this helps!

Epic_Conjurer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Firstly, I just really want to say that after going through the majority of the 44 pages of this thread, that... Dayummm!!!! There are some serious legendary, diverse, imaginative, and incredibly talented Artists and Storytellers here, I love how every game is so unique and different in it's own way, even when everyone is using the same Engine. Amazing, great job, pat on the back, and I'll definitely be looking to try out some of these games!

My thing is Horror, not a unique genre, but I have many years of Horror experience to work with. most people would think RPG Maker games just aren't creepy, or scary, but I'd like to show that they can be just as creepy... My game is called There Are Voices.
I've put a lot of time and effort into details in my game, there are quite a few different locations now and I have tried my best not to duplicate assets. Here's a few screenshots, I'd love to see any kind of feedback good or bad, but hopefully constructive. And I'd love to return the favor when possible.
1.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG 6.PNG 7.PNG 9.PNG

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Someone please help me.
I'm trying to make a foliage dungeon, or like, you know, "grass" dungeon.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Period.
The issue is I have the technical skill to do all my maps in gimp, but I completely lack any creative ideas or foresight.
I want to make the walls look like there's stuff growing out of them I think?
Since it's nature and organic I want it to look like..."random nature."
I don't know what I'm doing.
I try to think, 'What would it look like it was a dungeon with wooden walls, what would be on them? Would they even be decorated?" But the thing is, I don't know.
What am I even supposed to put in the little rooms between the hallways?

Also, the last few pictures, labeled "open" is just an area that will be at "at the end" of it....what even goes here? I'm guessing it's probably too open. I could probably fill in a lot with just a square or "shape" or black surrounded by walls.

So I guess any ideas would be appreciated. If you don't want to respond here and would rather PM me, that's fine too.

All "make your own maps/stop having someone else design your maps" comments are welcome too. It's whatever.

01.PNG

02.PNG

04.PNG

05.PNG

06.PNG

07.PNG

08.PNG

09.PNG

10.PNG

Last edited:

IbroAnw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi guys! This is my first game, and I decided to make some underwater gameplay in it! I made a few underwater maps, and they all include the same water effects idea (CrayDragon/GrandmaDeb) and resources (from whtdragon) (recoloured) because I don't know how to create my own lol. I would like any feedback, positive or negative, regarding this map. The top picture is the whole map, while the bottom picture is gameplay with the water effects. And the bubbles are meant to be animated.8.png underwatermap.png

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@EtsuaCoil I agree with the comment that your map is far too big, but please, please do not fill it up with the suggested crates, barrels etc. Who puts such items into rooms of this nature? It just looks terrible. Much better to reduce the overall width of that map, say, 50%. Taking a bed as an indication of size, 3 feet wide 6 feet long, that map shows a building that is over 100 feet wide. That is enormous. Reducing the size of the main room would also mean that you wouldn't be expecting a normal size kitchen to be regularly feeding 38 people without any storage for food, plates, pots and pans etc.

None of your rooms have windows. Why not? How do they get their lighting when there aren't windows or candles or any form of artificial lighting?

I know this next suggestion is a bit of work initially, but it pays off in the end. I think it would help if you re did your tile sheets in GIMP, or whatever image program you are using that supports transparencies, and moved your furniture (e.g. the kitchen items, cupboards, that piano, crates etc.) so that they were half a tile down. That enables them to sit much more naturally against walls.

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jweav8705 What do you mean by grass, foliage dungeon? Is it on the treetops? In a plant? In an old building that has been reclaimed by nature? Hedge maze? In plains with really long grass, where dangerous monsters wait in ambush?
@DarlesLSF Your image is not showing up, at least on my end.

Last edited:

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@IbroAnw The maps are pretty! I love the last one where you set up the atmosphere nicely.

Coincidentally I am also making the underwater map myself. Just a small sneak peak for now (since the map is still WIP)
How does it look so far?

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SomaelCK There isn't much to say right now, but I'd make the elevator floor a tiny bit transparent (if it isn't already, I can't tell from the size&compression).

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SomaelCK There isn't much to say right now, but I'd make the elevator floor a tiny bit transparent (if it isn't already, I can't tell from the size&compression).
Ah! That's a great idea! Thank you!

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DarlesLSF Very nice! It's always sweet to see custom evented battle systems, especially now that they're significantly less common :).

jweav8705

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jweav8705 What do you mean by grass, foliage dungeon? Is it on the treetops? In a plant? In an old building that has been reclaimed by nature? Hedge maze? In plains with really long grass, where dangerous monsters wait in ambush?
Inside of a tree, but I'm not 100% how different they'd all be.

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jweav8705 They are all pretty different and at least three of the ones mentioned are featured in one game. I can send you a message with with videos and pictures.
In my mind at least I see them as different. An abandoned mall would have its own unique design from a treetop village.

IbroAnw

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SomaelCK Thanks for the compliment! Also, yours is much better than mine, so to receive a compliment from a good mapper like you is even better! Quick question, is your screenshot from a cutscene with the elevator going down, or a map where you can move around while the elevator is going down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I have tried, several times to understand how Markiplier is popular. You can't deny his popularity. I can only get through a few minutes of his vids, though. He's cringier than ANY cringe comp I've ever watched. When I was a kid, if you acted like that, 0 friends and 100% no dates for you. Times have changed XD
Sometimes you may feel helpless and defeated. But everyone loses from time to time. It's okay to be tired. Take a breather. Have a good cry if you need to. You gotta take breaks from your workout, or you'll collapse before you can get stronger.
So, my roommates wrote a news article in English, translated it into Bengali with google translate and now I'm helping them fix the monstrosity which was the result. Making English the medium of education is fine... but not to an extent that we forget how to write properly in our own language :")
Stream will be live shortly with some more Minecraft spriting! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tuduru