Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome More demonic looking? Well, having no door to get into the building is a good start! But joking aside, I think a lot of this will come down to things like screen tint, having a fog overlay (not too opaque, just enough to give some atmosphere), maybe have symbols on the walls instead of banners.

You could give the impression that this castle 'contaminates' the land it's in by using an edited grass tile outside the castle that looks a bit more dank and miserable. You'd have to play around with hue etc. That would also make the 'garden' bit stand out as more unique. Does the courtyard have smokey, swirly torches to light it? In fact, how is it lit at night?

Then things like crows perched on walls, perhaps one or two flying around and then landing (hiddenone has some standing and flying sprites, I think) together with crows cawing as a sound effect, plus the odd rumble of thunder, though I appreciate that a screen shot isn't going to let us hear SEs.

Momsenek

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
@SoSick: Ah great, thanks :) I tried to have a little bit snes feeling (like star ocean 1, tales of phantasia)
@Kupotepo: Thanks for the advice! I didn't recognize that :)
@Kvothe: Thanks a lot for the feedback :) Your screenshot is great! I like the idea to see their thoughts. Besides - the hole project looks interesting. I will check the demo! Why is the one box transparent? Is this a text that the heroes already have read? In my opinion the white boxes in this dark place are a little bit too bright for the surroundings. Maybe a other color for the boxes would be also eye catching? Like a darker white (what??). I will start playing :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Too much or too little for my demon keep. (my main character is the daughter of the Demon Lord and his husman lover who live there). I'm really not sure if I need anything else. I don't want to clutter the maps, and as its not a dungeon I didn't want to make it too typical demon keep.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Do you have side-facing fireplaces? The reason I'm asking is that in the second map, you have substantial fireplaces which would only heat the small room, rather than the whole bedroom . With side-facing fires, you could do away with the interior wall they currently occupy, giving you more scope to arrange things. I am also unclear about the purpose of the small walls coming down from the top in both rooms. What function do they perform? If it's to fill a space, then maybe make the rooms smaller?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes
I don't have sideways fireplaces.
Oh the little walls, that was to make the two little spaces outside a hallway instead of the room itself, I've added a way to pass between the rooms now as well.

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first real try at a custom parallax map.
I exported my map made in MV into GIMP when it was just the A Tiles and then exported another dirt map and placed it underneath. I then used a odd shaped eraser to smooth out the tile edge lines where the terrain changes colour. I repeated this process when adding craters, mountains and all so I could smooth the defined edges that the default tile set leaves when you make maps directly in MV. (The video is only 2 min long)

The smaller houses and walls can be made by scaling down full size ones carefully.

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Alanood - Consider if your rooms need to be as big as they are. The house is in a good layout, but the bathroom is same size as kitchen?
Maybe spread out the kitchen area more and reduce room size on bathroom is one idea. Also you do not use horizontal top wall pieces? Is that so you do not block access to the rooms? I am not as familiar with Japanese styles of décor, but some rugs or more furniture to break up the continuous pattern of the floor would be good too. ( or maybe another floor type in kitchen/bedrooms?

Elissiaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first time making a map. Critics needed since I need to improve a lot.
Definitely don't use tatami in the bathroom and kitchen. Iirc tatami is actually pretty fragile, it's not good to get it wet, and stains are hard to get out. It's also expensive in upkeep so iirc most modern japanese homes don't use them or only have one room with tatami. Also they're not really laid out like you've put them, tatami are basically 2 square mats and there are like established patterns, and not following them is bad luck.
This is of course if your floors are even supposed to be tatami.
Oh! And also, japanese bathrooms tend to be separated, like the bath gets it's own room, and the toilet's in another.

On to non japanese specific stuff.

The lack of roof/top wall tiles looks a bit weird. Though I guess that's a style choice or so the doors will work... I'd probably make a new tile for the top walls in B-E that's set to star passability.

Also if the screenshot is you're entire map, the way alot of rooms just open up into nothingness is pretty odd.

The kitchen island has the sink on top of the bottom section. Also why two stoves and sinks? I'd get rid of the bottom section of the island and probably put the entire thing in the right corner and just move the door. Then probably either make the room smaller or put a kitchen table in there.

The living room could easilly be made 3 or so tile smaller without chaning the wall decorations too much, and imo it probably should be.

The bathroom is huge, if you're not splitting it up I'd put the bathroom where the office is and vice versa. Then you could fit some bookshelves or something in the office as well. (I'm also not too sure about having a paper sliding door to the bathroom...)

Besides all that, it's a pretty goodlooking map. And a great first attempt.

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Trying to make an apartment complex. I've never actually lived in one, so I feel a little like I'm getting something wrong.
Here's with all the doors and lighting as well:

Dankovsky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
RU
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@lemongreen I think it looks great and very intriguing! great job with the lightning too!
if there's anything wrong in it, is that there could probably be more space between room doors, since apartments usually take more space than hotel rooms, for example. also this looks really tidy so it's obviously a pretty luxurious apartment complex.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wouldn't advise putting more space between the room doors.
You don't have (and actually shouldn't) 1:1 scale all the time. If it were real size, walking the corridor would take too long and quickly become boring, especially if this is a place you have to go often.

Elissiaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Trying to make an apartment complex. I've never actually lived in one, so I feel a little like I'm getting something wrong.
Do you need all those apartments? Or could you get rid of say 2 of them? Or you could move them to the other side of the hallway.
Cause I agree with both cabfe and Dankovsky. The distance between the apartments are extremely small, but a too long hallway would probably be annoying for the player.
I'd say add at least 2 spaces between the doors maybe 4, cause 7-9 tiles might fit a small apartment. But the way you have it now it could fit a room.
I made a quick messy edit in paint as an example, with doors on the bottom too if you need all the apartments.
Sorry about the double presents I decided to get rid of another door to keep the number at 6 once I added the bottom doors, then changed my mind.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Alanood your kitchen has two stoves and two sinks, I don't know a single kitchen aside from a restaurant kitchen that does this. So you may want to remove the bottom row of countertops.

Edit: got something of my own to show! A collection of scenes of my game.

Last edited:

Raynar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After finally no longer being stumped on a Castle Design, I finally have one to show!

A few rooms need to be tweaked slightly, and all the NPC's need to be added (Aside from the ones at the throne room and at the towers in the four corners), which I plan on having all of them interact-able, but this is what I managed to come up with thanks to everyone's input in my last post, and inspiration. Feedback would be awesome!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok, so I've decided for my 6 temples in my game I'm going to make them basically the same, but with different decor and different ways to get through. eg, this is the forest temple underground
And this is the swamp temple underground.
So I need some help figuring out what else should go into this temple to make it more posion swamp like (the swamp has broken inside the temple, like nature has taken over the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Pft... people think the moon landing is fake. Nonsense. The moon doesnt even exist in the first place, it's just the reflection of the earth on the surface of space.
I don't know if anyone will get my old pop culture references. Item: Empty Basket. Description: Don't worry. Yogi Bear won't try to steal it.
My second childrens book is finally uploaded and approved and available to buy! I am so happy!
I just realized I passed 1,000 likes. I'm amazed you people actually like this crap. It's no surprise you'd like my high quality content. :kaopride:
Running on a creative high right now. Expanding my Redwood tile D with doors, windows, and some other odds and ends today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Etawaha