Idiot

save early, save often, save versions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, so I've decided for my 6 temples in my game I'm going to make them basically the same, but with different decor and different ways to get through. eg, this is the forest temple underground
And this is the swamp temple underground.
So I need some help figuring out what else should go into this temple to make it more posion swamp like (the swamp has broken inside the temple, like nature has taken over the other one.
I think it'd be really interesting if there were more swampiness added to the walls: maybe some poison overflowing from the ceiling, dripping down from cracks in the walls. Maybe some statues or other enviromental items that have been eroded/cracked/stained by the poison would be interesting, too!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Idiot hmmm. Ii'd have to do some massive editing for all of that... and I'm rubbish at making broken things! lol. I'll have to see what I can do, but thanks for the ideas!

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@TakeHomeTheCup for me, the biggest thing that stands out is how much open space there is. it doesn't really feel like a cave other than the tiles used...i would consider making the pathways and areas a bit less wide, and also more irregularities with the bordering walls.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TakeHomeTheCup If you hadn't told me that this was a cave I would never have known. It's not just the amount of wide open space and regularity of everything, it is also that if this is a cave, then you cannot have heaps on stones on your upper level. That is supposed to be the roof of your cave, not an open space. I think caves in particular can benefit from using the ceiling tile which is a black 'void', so giving the impression that the rock just goes up and up.

Maybe that is not clear from how I've worded it. Here is an example of what I mean. Sorry it's so big, but I can't quickly find a smaller one.
Mapshot 60 Index [0, 0].png

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Kes isn't black or darker stone color a wee bit nicer to the eyes? (Or is that me with the color of the forum's edges who kinda find this looking from an image editing program?)

Lorenze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@VisitorsFromDreams - Always impressed by your work, it's so cute!
@Dusttt - I really like the overall atmosphere, gives me a classic feel. I'd change the font in your battle screen, but that's just me.
@zimzim - I love the aesthetic and overall room design, but I feel like the character size in relation to the room is a little off.

WIP of a new battle background, still gotta fix the tiling though.

zimzim

Yamatcha Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lorenze I've discussed with my team about that actually. I have an art advisor in my team (yes, I'm so bad with art that I need an advisor!), and he said that it's most likely fine since the character sprite is chibi, and that chibi by nature is super-deformed. He said that it's a valid stylistic choice, where the environment doesn't always necessarily need to fit the character sprite. However, I'd love to hear others' opinion on this justification.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Marquise* It is also a function of not being able to show this with lighting and screen tinting which changes things enormously. With those I find black a bit too much, and using the stone colour leaves the problem that the 'void' is trying to solve i.e. how to you imply visually that that is not 'ground' in some sense.

Dankovsky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
RU
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Couple of updated images from my current game project. Feedback is always welcome! <3

You are awesome :) always a joy to see your screenshots. great color palette, especially the "gentle black" or w/e.
my only concern would be small square resolution but I suppose it is unavoidable if you're using ace..
it's also just a bit weird for me to see enemies above the background border (the black triangle thingie) - it just feels wrong somehow, although I understand it's hard to fit everything in such a little space (maybe make the borders smaller?)
Hi everyone feedbacks are welcome !

Lovely SV battle sprites and mapping (although I can't imagine how long this map took you to make?). the UI looks a bit too SciFi for a fantasy setting, I think
@Dusttt - I really like the overall atmosphere, gives me a classic feel. I'd change the font in your battle screen, but that's just me.
@zimzim - I love the aesthetic and overall room design, but I feel like the character size in relation to the room is a little off.

looks very interesting, were you inspired by OFF?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dankovsky Please note that people are asked not to quote images in their replies, but to use the @ plus username to indicate who they are replying to.
Thanks.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some windowskin progress...again, 2 damn years and this thing still bugs me a lot.
The idea is to use the windows generated instead of custom backgrounds, that's something that not many people can pull and still look good.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are awesome :) always a joy to see your screenshots. great color palette, especially the "gentle black" or w/e.
my only concern would be small square resolution but I suppose it is unavoidable if you're using ace..
it's also just a bit weird for me to see enemies above the background border (the black triangle thingie) - it just feels wrong somehow, although I understand it's hard to fit everything in such a little space (maybe make the borders smaller?)
I do what I can! My game is actually made in MV, the game runs at 3x the Gameboys resolution (and all exploration assets were done at 16x16 and blown up 300%), the battle sprites are also designed within those same limitations. Breaking the engine to work at such a small resolution wasnt easy ha ha. Basically the game is made to replicate the original Gameboy Color hardware almost one for one, or as close as you can with the engine. Its been an interesting challenge trying to design around so little space.

I can understand why people might not like the sprites sitting ontop of the backgrounds (it looks better in motion as both background layers move in opposite directions, but the frame is at that height so as to not have the battle commands on the colored backgrounds which makes them unreadable. Hopefully as development goes on I can tidy it up a bit. Thanks for the feedback! :D

Your one to talk, your game is looking slick as! Love it!

Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Heya, I was thinking about starting my new project soon, but I just have the title screen ready. There are no "new game" etc. stuff on the image yet, though. Any suggestions for improvements? Is there something you like about it and something that would need fixing? All critique will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I could see the image before. It just looks a little smaller now. Maybe it's a browser-related thing?
As for the title screen itself, the stained-glass aesthetic of the picture next to the title is interesting. The font for the title is a touch hard to read, at first glance I wasn't sure if the first letter was an H or an N. (Could also just be a me thing though.)
Personally I'd switch out the clouds background for maybe a glimpse of the world the game takes place in, once I'd gotten some maps made (or even make a map specifically for the title screen), just so the player can get an idea of what kind of world it is.
Just my 2¢ though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Social distancing extended for another week. Personally I'm cool, but this is depressing.
GOOOOD MOOORNING!
APRIL WILL BE BETTER!
First time I've seen the shelves full in my local shop in a while. Still no soap, though.
RachelTheSeeker wrote on StormyRange's profile.
Hey! Haven't I seen you before? :p Good to see you on a RPG Maker site; am pleasantly surprised. :)
When you really think about it, the Trolley Problem is pretty dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimsonBlack