Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine Artist/ Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Thanks! Might be editing the font a bit then. Does anyone else think the font should be simpler, or that I should change the first letter "N"? The game has an apocalyptic thing going on, hence the red sky. Would adding some destroyed environment background from the world help? Or would it make the image look too full?
    Edit: The "new game" box or something like that probably goes below the Nerubis text, maybe not on the very center but on the line with the "N" of Nerubis. Any ideas about this?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. Dusttt

Dusttt Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dankovsky Thank you for your feedback my friend told me the same i will change the UI. It doesnt take time to map this because i worked a lot on the tileset so it is easy to map so i can save time.

3. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    @TakeHomeTheCup
    Try to add as much details as you can in the cave map, especially on the walls. Make them look irregular, no two side-by side of similar cracks or vegetation on the wall for example. You could also edit the size of different objects somehow, like rocks with various sizes, and avoid square forms on the map. You could make the corners of the walls with more varying depressions. This should make it look more natural.
    Hopefully this helps at least a bit. Also, remember. Mapping is not everything! Just try to do your best but don't waste all the time just polishing the maps forever. Some people never complete their games because of this.

TakeHomeTheCup likes this.
  4. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There's not a whole lot linking this elements. If you want to go for the apocalyptic look while keeping the stain glass image something that might be cool would be having the ruins of something like an old church, with this image as a stain glass window, shattered as part of it. That would bring the background and character together.

As for the logo, its a little bland and the lens flair on the sword makes it a little harder to read (something thats tricky already due to the fact I dont know how to pronounce Nerubis, something I think would affect most people who see it). The sword for an I is a nice touch though.

5. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought the sword was a T. Now I'm confused.

6. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    It is just that some of your stones have darker if not black details in it... ^^ So... yeah. I think instead of grey I would had got a dark brown if I didn't want black. It would had been intuitive for me. But yeah it kinda intrigued me.

7. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    Thanks, I changed the sword a bit, thinning the "T" area so that it looks more like an "I". Also made the logo look just slightly less flat. Do you think it's better now? I also changed the image to my original post in the previous page of this thread, but for the comparison, the original is still in the quote 3 posts up this one.
    [​IMG]

8. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The lens flares have to go, they're an artifact of the filming/photography process and hardly ever look good when digitally recreated on a still image. That's the big one that immediately stops it from looking professional. They need to go. There's not enough contrast between the background and the pink text, and the picture frame has a blur to it that makes me wonder if you found a PNG of a vector file and upscaled that. The text looks alright, I think the border needs to be much darker for contrast reasons, and I think you should extend the gradient and border to the sword as well for reasons of visual cohesion.

9. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    @onipunk
    In other words, I should start the entire thing from the scratch, since I have made a mistake of combining the layers :S At any rate, I'll think about all you said. Maybe I'll start it over then, or at least fix something like the gradient, the border and the contrast on the smaller text. Maybe I could find a way to edit the lens flare to not look like a normal lens flare...
    @VisitorsFromDreams
    The crumbled building with the iconography sounds like a good idea. Gotta see if I could still do that somehow.

10. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    At the end of the day, everything I said is my opinion and you don't have to take it on board. I'm not a graphic designer by profession, though I have taken paid graphic design jobs, so I'm not coming at this from a perspective of "we'd never do this in the industry" because I don't count myself as part of it. How much credence you lend my critique is up to you. No-one else seems to have mentioned the lens flares, so maybe they're not as bad to others but to my personal sense of aesthetics, I dislike them in nearly all circumstances. If you learn one thing from this, though, it's to ALWAYS save a layered file, and save a new version every time you make changes. You almost certainly will need them.

11. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    I changed my reply to you a bit. I think you have some good points there, after all, which I might be able to fix without starting it all over. I'll be asking around other opinions, though. I've noticed people here have a lot higher standards than your everyday gamer.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  12. TakeHomeTheCup

TakeHomeTheCup Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Here's another (hopefully better) attempt at making a cave.
    [​IMG]

13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Labyrinthine From the opening post which sets the rules for this thread
    Would you please, therefore, post the next iteration of your logo in the WIP thread.
    Thanks.

14. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    Ack, sorry. Didn't think about that at all.

15. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @zimzim I think more games should have an art advisor, even if the person making the game isn't horrible at it. But I think your art advisor is oversimplifying. It can work, but it should be an active choice, not a passive one. Your art is part of the story telling, so dissonance between the character and her environment says things. You should be desiring a meaning and making that choice to fit the meaning, not making art and then deciding a meaning.

In a game situation I think that if a character is made chibi adjustments should be made so that the environment is also chibi. Either that or the chibiness should be done only for a short moment, for an exaggerated emotional effect. If you look at other games, you should see that the environmental adjustment is usually made in RPGs with chibi sprites, but the deformation is often not as obvious as the change in the character. Look at the default graphics that come with your RPG Maker, for example, you should be able to see some of these changes. Doors that are square instead of rectangular. Tables with very short legs. Stuff like that. It's just not super obvious, partially because the point of view is uncommon in real life, but also because the environment and character match.

Unfortunately in the case of yours, the difference in character and the environment is not just because of her chibi proportions. She's just literally too small for the space. Here, check out how much better it looks when she's scaled up by 150%

sizeup.png
    By scaling her up like this all you'd have to do is adjust the bed to be smaller and she'd fit in just fine.

zimzim, Marquise* and Kyuukon like this.
  16. Marcial

Marcial Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone! It's been a long time since my last post in this forum. Currently I'm working on a side scrolling pixel art game.
    Here´s a picture, still on the work, I'll probably make some more parallax images, some trees, props, been thinking of using animated doodads.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Idiot likes this.
  17. Idiot

Idiot save early, save often, save versions Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

One of my first finished maps...I'll probably clean it up or even end up remaking it completely further down the pipeline, but I'm happy with how it turned out for how inexperienced I am.

18. TakeHomeTheCup

TakeHomeTheCup Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Idiot Very nice! I like it.

19. IguanaGuy

IguanaGuy Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mission Select Maps Beta (2 min Vid)
    I would like to know if I should keep the music the same throughout all selection maps or switch it up based on region. I have a few set up that way already, but is it too much top change BGM so much in one aspect of the game? Plus any observations on the maps in general is good too.

Marquise* likes this.
  20. IguanaGuy

IguanaGuy Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Paladin-Cleric of Awesome - I like the thought of similar structures in various regions. Gives that familiar feel of layout but adds a different challenge in each area ( I assume?) One thought I had was adding some more plant life to the swamp temple - maybe some passages completely overgrown with vines for example? Or maybe carnivorous plants in the hallways that have to be killed in order to pass through their vines?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.