Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Dusttt

Dusttt Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone worked on new interface for the battle system of my game feedbacks are welcome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dustt nice HUD mate, nice, fresh and clear...i like the font too!

i just finished my last map of shinra mansion! finally.. lol wanted some feedback on this one..i need to darker the potions on the back wall shelfs i think..going to put some materia in one of the mako tanks aswell.
    Capture.PNG

3. IguanaGuy

IguanaGuy Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SoSick. - One neat thought I had for the potions. If you made them event images rather than tile ones, could you vary their opacity so they appear to be catching the light off of the candle, as if they reflect the flicker? (parallel event with opacity changes) Have not tired it but that would be a neat effect and better than them just being dark like rest of room.

SoSick. likes this.
  4. Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine Artist/ Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Death Camp sections from the Earth World of Labyronia Elements. I spent a few months researching Nazi Germany concentration camps (especially Auschwitzch) to create a semi-accurate depiction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Stranger likes this.
  5. Marcial

Marcial Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, in my last post the perspective of the fort looks kinda weird so I decided to add a couple more tiles of grass, so it would still gonna be a sidescroller, but with a little more perspective.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Stranger and SoSick. like this.
  6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This one does look better than the last, though the fort still looks tilted more forward than the rest. The mixed pixel sizes and blurry brushes mixed in with the hard pixels are both just driving me crazy though!

Marcial and Arcmagik like this.
  7. zimzim

zimzim Yamatcha Game Studio Veteran

First Language:
    Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm Thank you so much for your wise and detailed advice! Your words on choosing the art style to fit the overall feel of the game is something that didn't really cross my mind in a way that makes me aware of it. However, I'm set on finishing my game despite the design imperfections, as long as the game is playable and free of technical and writing errors. For now, I will keep your advice in mind for my future projects. :)

8. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Idiot
    One of your first maps? You must be a natural talent then! You should've seen the mess I called map in my first attempt, years ago.

9. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    @VisitorsFromDreams
    Looks like a nice and solid work aesthetically, although this kind of style doesn't really take too much effort in this day and age. It also reminds me of Undertale too much, which I'm kind of full of to be honest, but that's just my personal thing.
    Despite these things, everything you've presented seem to blend together well, so I haven't got any negative things to say about the images, technically. Looking like it was made with Atari 2600 is luckily not a bad thing today. It would be nice to see some short video about the gameplay.

10. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Labyrinthine - I like the general atmosphere, though some of your art assets are a bit mismatched and the ground in the first shot could use a bit more detail. Also, is there some way you could toggle the HUD on/off? It clashes with the tone you're going for (at least with this area), and I'm sure you wouldn't want all that hard work disturbed by such a little detail.

Here's a rough cut of a fake commercial for my game. There's still some VFX and sound work to be done, and the battle shots are placeholders, but the general structure is there. I'm also thinking about adding some kind of narration, but I'm not sure yet.

Marquise* and VisitorsFromDreams like this.
  11. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Cant make an 8bit game without being compared to Undertale anymore, ha ha (I still havent played it). Making pixel art isnt hard no, but making good pixel art (mines average at best) isnt particularly easy. My games designed to replicate the limitations of the Gameboy Color (mainly sourcing inspiration from Pokemon Gen 2 and Links Awakening) so its not something im expecting people outside of a small niche to particularly be interested in.

If you want to see some gameplay you can find the trailer for the demo which was made a fair while back, designed to look like the original Gameboy. The games obviously been moved to color along with a bunch of other features since then.

12. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Lorenze
    Pretty cool video. Not that I'd understand what's going on, but it's very well made nevertheless. Looks like you put effort to it.
    As for my images, the hud for changing between the two characters exists only in this one world. It can't be turned off, but it's not gonna bother after a couple of minutes of playing. The area is late-game content for its world, so the player should have gotten accustomed to it by then. Is the mismatched art asset the flame on the pipe? It's probably ' cause I drew it myself and I think it looks a bit better in-game since it's animated.

13. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Labyrinthine I agree with @Lorenze that the HUD is a tonal mismatch for the setting it's being used in. Like...you have actual concentration camps, which are a very serious subject, to put it lightly, and then in the corner you've got something that screams "Press Q to videogame!". It'll kill any sort of immersion you might be trying to create and it'll draw people away from the narrative by having a constant reminder of the mechanic on-screen. It's almost like that Call of Duty thing from a few years back. You're at a funeral, mourning fallen comrades, it's all very serious and dramatic and sad and then a button prompt shows up that says "Press E to pay respects" and it's one of the funniest things I've seen because it's so out of place and completely unnecessary. You can't take the scene seriously after that (granted you can barely take CoD's stories seriously anyway) and I worry this will have the same effect. I can't see why you couldn't explain the mechanic at the start of the segment if it's only present in this one part of the story - "Q for bunny, W for green dwarf" is not the most complex thing for a player to wrap their head around, I don't think they'll need the HUD reminding them.

14. Labyrinthine

First Language:
    Finnish
    Well, yeah. it may have been a mistake to leave it there for the entirety of the Earth World. But based on my feedback, people haven't really complained about it at that point of the game. So, I could've handled it better but I don't see this as a "world ending issue" : -P Also, the HUD disappears for the duration of the cutscenes (if I remember right).
    So, if you'd get a scene where people get dragged into gas chambers, the HUD wouldn't be there. It also vanishes when you read diaries and stuff, to get out of the field of vision.

15. Marcial

Marcial Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm for sure you are right, still trying to get the look right. Did some changes so I hope now it has more consistency between all the drawings. Also I remove one tile of grass and adjust the re-made fort angle. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

[​IMG]

16. Cranky Construct

Cranky Construct Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's been a long time since I posted anything here, but here's a few screenshots from what I've been slaving away at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    You've been making cuteness and it's adorabu. Being ultra picky here but two things stand out in the top screen - the red line at the top of the walls is weird and makes no sense being there, and the lack of a wooden bar at the edge of the desk where the gold part is - since there's one at the other gold part it would make sense for there to be a piece at the other.

That said, I'm being super duper picky pointing those things out because otherwise all I can say is "wowza".

18. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Cranky Construct I like what I see! =^_^= I always look forward to seeing what you're working on.. I love that style.
    Anyway, here's what I'm working on and it's part practice.. part showing off graphics. lol It's more practice than anything. I'm working on Halloween tiles, horror, because you can never have too many. Oh, I am in the middle of trying to learn how to animate those skull lights thing, with a bit of editing, as the base doesn't look exactly right.

Horror_graphics_UPDATE2.PNG

19. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Marcial Oh, that's loads better! Stronger color choices too.

@Cranky Construct That's so lovely! The art is this calm refreshingly clean style and I just love it! Every bit of the art is just so good! It's a good map too, very visually appealing. There are two fiddly bits that are ignorable but bothered me a tiny bit. First off, it seems odd to see the shed like that. You've got a separate entrance that looks like goes to the outside. That feels like it shouldn't be showing up in this shot since with no way to get in, it's pretty much a separate building. Showing it is also at odds with the back room, which we can't see. I can think of loads of good reasons why to keep it, so it's not necessarily a huge deal, but it did seem off. The second thing was the tiled bit under the display. Visually, I get it, it's very appealing. Logically though, I'm not getting it. Switching between materials in flooring like that seems odd and expensive and harder to clean. For the doorway it makes sense, it keeps out the mud and rain or whatever from tracking in all the way as easily, but other than worrying about caustic chemical spills if what's being sold is more dangerous, I can't think of a reason to do that. Especially since it doesn't extend as far on the other side. If it's caustic, why not have all the floor done with stone? Why would you have carpet? Er, so yeah, I'm really just being picky, it's wonderful and I love it.

@Caitlin Yep, that's pretty creepy. That room is humongous, what was even in that huge now very empty corner? I especially like the drawers, so much that I almost mentioned it twice. I think the texture of the doily top on the side thing is pretty clever, though it feels a bit odd. It seems like it's trying to be filet crochet but without any design, which is opposite of the point of the style. Over all nicely done. You've been improving!

Caitlin and Marcial like this.
  20. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Caitlin lol. I was convinced the bed was levitating on first glance at your map! That’s how good you Meade it look creepy. Even now when I look at it I can’t get that out of my head. Just thought I should mention!