Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faherya

Faherya The Knight of the Sad Figure Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SoSick. Great. The picture fits the atmosphere of the map very well. There are not many details to comment on, perhaps the chandelier is very bright, but it's the most I can identify. The glow that the candles reflect on the objects is very strong, considering that they are, well... candles.
    @Marcial I quite like the style, the simple textures are very good. But beware of the colors. There are some shades on the grass, on the ground and on the wall very similar to the other shades of the same object. They become difficult to recognize and almost imperceptible at a quick glance. In these cases I would choose to remove them, but this it is with you. o/

Forget everything I said. I commented without seeing the second image. ._.

@Cranky Construct Great. Visual clean, clean design, details in the right measure. For you only compliments.
    @Caitlin Nice. I suggest you take a close look at the edges of the cracks. You were able to notice very well the effect you wanted to go through with the clearest details, but I imagine the environment to be dark, correct? Would it not be better to substitute these shades for darker than wood, but lighter than the bottom? On the plus side, I loved the details in the fabric, beautiful map!

Well, a few months ago I'm developing a project using @Sharm resources. I've made some modifications, created add-ons for the package, and have made slow progress - due to lack of time. Now, with a few more modifications ready, I'm redoing the maps. In the video below you can see - almost - everything that was already ready and that was discarded:

Here are three pictures that explain a little of my motivation for redoing everything. The first two are to illustrate the recollors of the graphs and the third is a comparison of the old world map with the new one - which is not yet complete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also making my iconset, you can see a few in the video. As for interfaace, yeah, I'm still using the default menus. But they will also be completely redone, just like the battle system. I'm thinking of something tactical, but I have not decided yet.

Rabosion, jonthefox, Kvothe and 5 others like this.
  2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Eeee! I'm always pleased to see my resources used, especially when it's done well. This is looking good. The mapping reminds me of early Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games, in a good way. The king having random jewels on the floor in his bedroom was really funny. I also think it's funny how you smashed almost every pot in the video. It's so satisfying isn't it? I remember testing the animation the first time and giggling like crazy. There were a few too big rooms, but even though that's usually a bad thing, I don't think you should change them here. It doesn't look like it's making moving around too annoying and the big rooms suits the style of the game you're making. The menus were really bland, but I don't think being default is the big problem here. I am just not loving the skin you're using for the windows. It needs a little something, just a touch of character. It's looking good! I look forward to seeing more as you progress.

atoms and Faherya like this.
  3. Zabu

Zabu Prince of light Veteran

First Language:
    Fran├žais
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey everyone!
    I used to make a "Pack" for RPG MAKER and i wanted you to give me some advice for changing some things, or upgrade some.
    I already had a lot of advices from Sharm, but i want to have a lot advices for seeing how to improve myself :)
    Thanks !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone! :)

(Technically, except the last screens they're map screenshots so i think i can post them here, if not sorry guys!)

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Posting them here will get you critique on your mapping ability, your presentation and so on. Posting them in Resource WIP Thread will get you critique on the actual artwork and how to improve it.

For the maps: The outside maps could use a little more clumping. If you look at nature, things don't grow completely randomly, the tend to clump up a bit here and there. Don't fill in the space with random things, start with the reason for your map, add a little extra organic flare to the shape of things, then go in with the details. Use them to draw the eye to important places. Since these are maps made to show off your tiles, make up a fake reason for the room, something in line with what people would really be using them for. For things like branches, abandoned tools, fallen rocks, and so on, think about where they were dropped from. With clumps of growing things, think about why it would be more advantageous to grow in that spot vs. somewhere else. For the inside maps, some of the same things apply, but your rooms are too big and too square. Make rooms the size of the big things you're putting in them, don't make a space and then randomly try to fill it up with stuff. Divide them up a bit and show other rooms too.

Zabu likes this.
  5. Cranky Construct

Cranky Construct Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I also managed to finish a battle background today too, so now I can show this off.

It's starting to look like an actual game now

[​IMG]

6. Mystic_Enigma

Mystic_Enigma The Doofiest of Dorks Veteran

In MY world, you are not welcome in my world!
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oooh, that background is incredible! That's some insanely pro work right there, friend!

7. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Faherya I used Tiny16 for my first released game a while back and man, they're so good! Your use of them is just excellent, the seasonal changes read really well and I get a mix of Dragon Quest and Harvest Moon vibes looking at them. Excited to see this develop!

Sharm and Faherya like this.
  8. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just an average Saturday night in the city.

Rabosion, atoms, Marquise* and 7 others like this.
  9. TakeHomeTheCup

TakeHomeTheCup Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So, I'm trying to make the RTP look more... "interesting", since I can't draw or purchase DLC:
    [​IMG]

Rabosion, atoms, Marquise* and 7 others like this.
  10. Marcial

Marcial Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Today I got some time to spend on my game, so this should be the overall feeling of the maps, It get a little laggy cause the map is pretty long and the same with the picture, maybe the rest of the maps will be the half of this one. Comments on how to improve are welcome!

@TakeHomeTheCup In the highest rock wall you got a line of rock tiles that are brighter than the rest, it correspond to a top of the wall tile I guess, and the entrance of the cave seems to shiny, unleast the interior of the cave is shiny it should be darker I think. Apart of that is looking good.

Rabosion, atoms, Marquise* and 2 others like this.
  11. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Try using more layers and events. Also there is "shift Mapping" techniques and there are some layer scripts too.

TakeHomeTheCup likes this.
  12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @TakeHomeTheCup A couple of general things.
    The entrance to the cave uses the tile which normally signals 'daylight' to the player i.e. it is used when you are inside a cave/tunnel to signal that there is daylight beyond that point and so is your exit. On an exterior map you would normally use the dark entrance to indicate that there is a lack of sunlight beyond this point, so it's your entrance.

I would suggest that you find a couple of empty tiles somewhere on your B-E tile sheets and put your single trees there in addition to their normal location. Put them, say, half a tile up. They will now take 2 tiles on the sheet. You can then use the 'moved up' version in 2 important ways. First, when you want to put a tree near to the edge of a cliff. The default position means that the tree's roots are hanging on the very edge of the cliff, which doesn't look good and no tree in that position would last long. Second, you can use one occasionally to vary the dead straight line nature of the default position. Having a bit of irregularity will make the map seem more natural, and a bit more visually interesting. Use an event graphic for the top bit if you want it to overlap another tree.

Another way to add visual interest is to take your default tree and do a slight hue/colour/brightness/whatever edit on it so that it looks a bit different from the others but not so much as to clash. Put it somewhere on your B-E tile sheets. Then scatter a few of them on the map to add variety.

I personally would have had a few more levels in a couple of places, so that it might take 2 ledges to reach the same height as the top level instead of a uniform one.

jonthefox and TakeHomeTheCup like this.
  13. Muk adel heid

Muk adel heid Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    hey. how are you guys?

This time im trying to do something special.

WIP battle system
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Rabosion, Chaos Avian, atoms and 5 others like this.
  14. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@Faherya omggg that looks so good and nostalgic style, love it.

Marquise* and Faherya like this.
  15. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Game Jam map in progress. Working on a transition from beach to forest. That's a really hard one to try and blend together. I went heavy on the lighting and shadows because in game it's going to have Terrax Lighting.
    MAP040.jpg

Tw0Face, Marquise* and atoms like this.
  16. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @OnslaughtSupply While I am not arguing for full realism (which would be foolish) I do think you are trying to make the transition too quickly. There should be a reasonable depth of much sparser trees because thick woods do not grow on sand, and you still have sand as your ground. I would do sand, giving way to sparse grass and scrubland, followed by a few trees as the ground changed from sand to soil and only then a forest.

OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  17. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    @Kes: Hmm, sometimes the transition from beach to forest happens very suddenly though:

[​IMG]

18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @gRaViJa You're right! It is more abrupt that instances I've seen. The only thing I would say is that at the line of transition, there are fewer tall trees and more low level scrub/shrubs than in your example, so maybe switch a couple around?

atoms and OnslaughtSupply like this.
  19. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes see I put a good amount of small patches of grass and faded it real gradually but most is covered by the canopy of trees and small bushes, hmm... I think your right. Thanks.

20. Lee Sang

Lee Sang Sang Hendrix Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A screenshot from my project.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.