Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @jonthefox I think you should choose based on the feeling you want the player to have while in the cave. Do you want it to feel oppressive and dangerous? Larger than life and adventurous? Neither is right so pick what works best in that dungeon. You could mix it up too, I've seen both on one map before and it worked to make that room look unusually tall and huge, like something narrow and low that just opened up.

jonthefox likes this.
  2. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Lost Dog Woods
    [​IMG]

Shhwonk, lianderson, Lorenze and 2 others like this.
  3. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I always love it when people use non-standard art. Original pixel art is also always a win! For the mapping though, the forest is still too stiff. It feels carved out haphazardly, not organically grown. Part of the problem is that everything is a little too structured and clumped together. Corners too square, all the trees in a line like they've been planted, ect. When you put that together with the random nature of the path forward and the odd placement of some things, like the cobbles that aren't on the direct path, then the map feels like it's got an identity crisis. Some parts looking like a cultured garden, some looking like it was once a garden and got overgrown, some looking like a wild forest that was cut back, some looking like no one had ever walked that way before (even though it's the only way to get to the next cultured path). I think this would be a better map if you think about how these opening are made and how things are used to figure out where to place things and why. Use the map to tell the story about the place.

sleepy_sealion likes this.
  4. dupedful

dupedful Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys, it's me again. I've just finished my graveyard for my little village, but I'm unsure about some spots (black circles). I want to add something to theses to spots since they look very empty for me. Any ideas or feedback? General feedbacks or more ideas are welcome too :)

upload_2018-10-2_18-46-14.png

Marquise* and GolfHacker like this.
  5. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @dupedful Empty space isn't a bad thing, if you use it well. Personally I don't think you need anything in the smaller circle. For the bigger circle, if people still enter that building you could have a small path. And if it's completely abandoned? Then an overgrown path or a makeshift barrier to keep people out of the building would work well.

6. kaine

kaine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    working on interiors
    [​IMG]

7. Milksteeve

Milksteeve Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, it's my first interior mapping, could someone give me some tips about how to make it better? (it's a little tavern) Sem título.png

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Milksteeve That's a nice start, you have a good size and layout, but I think it could do with a bit of tweaking.

I'd move the right hand table further to the right so that there is a clearer path for the customer to get to the bar. If you also move the top left table up and over a tile, you would have room to move the middle table up and left as well, so making a proper path to the bar.

You have gone for a basically rustic place, with simple tables and stools etc. However, you appear to have 3 rather elaborate tables forming the bar itself. The finely turned legs, and the inlay in the top indicate that these are good quality, probably expensive, items. No way would they be the bar in a tavern. I suggest you use a wooden/slated counter tile for that. For the same reason the expensive looking banner seems out of place here. Finally, given the amount of beer that's likely to get spilled from the tankards, I don't think any tavern keeper would put an animal skin on the floor next to the bar.

@kaine That interior is excellent - apart from one thing which initially caused me some confusion.
    Top left section appears to have an L-shaped cupboard with various items on it. It took me a while to work out that the carpet wasn't also on top of it as well, and that it was L-shaped and not rectangular. I think all it needs is for you to shift click the carpet so that it too looks like it runs on to meet the 'real' bottom of that cupboard out of the viewer's sight.

9. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    <--snip--> content removed by Moderator.

Released a little teaser scene for my game. It's an early look into one of the cutscenes, which means it's subject to change eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2018
    SoSick. likes this.
  10. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last month I finally finished my "lore world map", so I have a visual representation of where everything is that isn't happening, has happened, or will happen "on screen" as it were, positions relative to each other as well as to the setting of the first game.

However, I forgot to put it up on the monthly progress thread, so I'll post it here since September is already over. Especially since I decided to turn it into the title screen, complete with image scrolling "east to west" to simulate planetary rotation, & a secondary "weather layer" about eight times the size, that scrolls at a different rate "west to east", to simulate changing weather patterns; using one of moghunters plugins.

Here is my "Lore World Map" as it were. As well as where the actual story take place in the world, in my current project, note the red marker.

upload_2018-10-3_22-34-34.png

Here it is changed into a title screen.

upload_2018-10-3_22-35-6.png

I think I am going to replace the usual drawn on title with something that has a bit more personality though. I am just not certain what style I want though, I'll probably have to experiment with different text fonts, color schemes, & detailing, until I get what I need.

11. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    It's not the best lighting I've ever done but for an event game I think it will do... unless you guys see something that stands out super badly?

[​IMG]
    Might as well post another of my DQ-inspired game.

12. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ksi The light source being almost at ground level, the shadows from the "stools" should be longer. And consequently, the bottom-left stool cannot have light behind it.
    Also, the shadow angle for the left tent (top-left shadow) doesn't match the position of the light source.
    And if you want to be even more accurate (at the cost of more work) the shadows for the ropes of the bridge should let bits of light between them, instead of a solid shadow. Given the distance and the small size of the ropes, the shadow should be less opaque than the wooden pillar of the bridge.
    Finally, there cannot be shadows cast for the lower part of the bridge, since the light source is at the same Y position.

Ksi likes this.
  13. kaine

kaine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    @Kes Oh yes!
    I forgot to fix it :rswt

14. Milksteeve

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any tips of how can i improve it? rigby.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
    Marquise* and Chaos Avian like this.
  15. Milksteeve

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    WhatsApp Image 2018-10-04 at 23.58.25.jpeg closer look in one of the areas.

16. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just at a quick glance, I would work on that shore line. It's going to look like a near straight line ingame as it is.

17. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

Milksteeve, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

18. Milksteeve

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ok, sorry.

19. seryphi

seryphi Spoonie Artist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    holy crap yall have amazing stuff going...
    I've been editing the RTP as I go in mine, so far mostly bits and pieces of wall decor.

[​IMG]

20. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

I have been making some alternate costumes for the main character in my game Shooty and the Catfish. You can unlock them by finding tokens in treasure chests hidden around the game world. From left to right we have Heart and Soul from Soma Spirits, Elmer from Lone Star, The Batter from Off, Edmund from Three Ghostly Roses, Phillip from Space Funeral, Lime from Flatwoods and Hazmat from... well Hazmat. I thought having hidden costumes would be a neat collectable to help encourage exploration!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.