Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @dsiver144 ah ok haha... Those birds really go like they ate rocket-fuel lol glad that isn't intentional ;)
    one more thing : maybe you could look for/make birds that are actually pointed diagonally? (don't even know if that's possible though) That way the look even better. But, again I really love the colors here!

dsiver144 likes this.
  2. dsiver144

dsiver144 Peaceful Days Dev Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Finnuval Yea, thank you. And I can make birds point diagonally. Just need to redraw bird sprite. :D

Finnuval likes this.
  3. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You make it sound easy! haha

4. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Got my first real dungeon (i.e. first after the tutorial dungeon) finished! :) The blockiness is intentional; the setting is a school for adventurers, so it's an artificially constructed dungeon, complete with bridges and ladders deliberately placed to form a 3D maze, and switches at the opposite end of the room from what they affect. You start at the top-left, and exit under the large arch after pulling the lever in the top-right. The blue door leads to a bonus room. Along the way, there are six stationary, ten ground-based, and two airborne monsters you can either encounter or avoid.

RPGMaker Dungeon 1.png

5. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aoi Ninami Seeing as the blockiness is intentional it's looking good :) Good matching of colors to which makes it easy on the eyes (overlooked often ). I would however put the windows 1 step up so the align with the upper door (which to me makes more sense). Other then that well done!

6. Saboera

Saboera Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's the encoding method you use that causes this, some methods make the gifs smaller that way but weirdly sped up. I ran into the same issue recording my gifs. Depending on your recording software, you can try changing the encoder and see what works for you in term of quality/size.

Finnuval and dsiver144 like this.
  7. Nighthawkies

Nighthawkies Villager Member

First Language:
    Estonian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I am just starting out and used a tutorial to help me with my first map.
    I know it looks ugly as heck.
    But still how bad is it for a first map.
    And what could i do to improve it.

Attached Files:

Rabosion and Marquise* like this.
  8. Deletrius

Deletrius Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Yep, I have one
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I can see two slight errors in the cliffs, one below your strawman in the middle, on on the other side of the steps where you included the farn at the bottom of the cliff. In both cases, the cliff is 3 tiles high, it should only be 2 tiles.

Since I parallax, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but it may be possible to use the shadow marker in the editor below the bridges to give them some depth.

Edit: also, the rocky bed in the water should be either on all produding bits, or on none;

9. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Aoi Ninami , I really like this map. I tend to like simple and effective mapping, so this checks the boxes for me! The only suggestions I would have are:
    - The "Bridge/Wall" in the upper left corner could probably be moved down a block. The way it is now, it implies there is something going on behind that bridge/wall, so a little more space (even for a dark alley merchant etc.) would make it look like its a space that can be occupied.
    - The stone construct archway in the upper right could probably be moved one or two blocks down. In it's current position, it looks to be right up against the perimeter wall.. I just think it would look more appropriate with a little space between it and the wall (personally).

Great work either way! :)
    -MIA

10. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @M.I.A. The wall in the upper left has exactly one walkable tile behind it, so that (after you go through the arch) you are forced to fight the stationary encounter to reach the chest. Note that this is the only encounter in the room with the "green slime" instead of "blue slime" icon -- one of the tablets explains this is an indicator of a stronger troop than usual for the current dungeon.

The ledge supported by the stone arch is indeed meant to touch the back wall.

M.I.A. likes this.
  11. Nighthawkies

First Language:
    Estonian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    2018-12-07 (5).png 2018-12-07 (3).png
    So i fixed the errors and improved the shading?
    Does it look better with a rocky or non rocky bottom?
    Is it too wild?
    And are there any good tilesets that i could use to improve my project or anything else i could use?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  12. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Nighthawkies What you call a rocky bottom is not one. It's a tile used to give depth to underwater cliffs.
    Here is an example I've found on the Internet:
    [​IMG]

Nighthawkies and Marquise* like this.
  13. Deletrius

Deletrius Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Yep, I have one
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    You solved the cliff height problems I pointed out, and I would say that the shadow below the bridges indeed adds depth.

What I meant with the Rock Water Tile is marked in the Screenshot below: if you have the tile marked in red, than you should definitely use it in spaces like the yellow ones as well. The tiles marked out in pink are slight problems with the cliff I hadn't noticed before. The one below the house you've already fixed by yourself :)

Sample.JPG

Nighthawkies and Marquise* like this.
  14. ABandit

ABandit Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Nighthawkies , in the same sheet as the animations you used for the bottom part of the waterfall, there should be ones for the top part as well. They'll make it look much nicer, without the abrupt cut between still water and falling water :)

I spent hours editing the First Seed rocky cave to blend nicely with the RTP lava, and I put together events for the lava waterfall as well.
    This is not really a map I'll be using in the game, it's more of a test to see if the animations work and the events are correctly placed—but I'm pretty proud of the result, so here it is!
    map.png

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  15. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ABandit Thanks, but it's not my map. I only displayed it to show what the "rocky underwater bottom" was actually to Nighthawkies. :)

Nighthawkies likes this.
  16. ABandit

ABandit Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @cabfe , whoops, sorry! Edited the post :D

Nighthawkies likes this.
  17. Nighthawkies

First Language:
    Estonian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually am currently trying out the lite version to see if it is worth buying and the lite version does not have those animations i think

18. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Any feedback? :) I'm trying to find something better to use than the road. Like a carpet/pathway or something that matches better.

[​IMG]

Marquise* likes this.
  19. Nighthawkies

First Language:
    Estonian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay i have completed this part of the map
    It may look disgusting but i want to know if it has any flaws
    2018-12-09.png 2018-12-09 (2).png 2018-12-09 (3).png 2018-12-09 (4).png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  20. ABandit

ABandit Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Helladen , it looks great!
    I would lower the vines on the square pillars. Since they are designed to spurt from the ground, they end very abruptly at the bottom. As for the road, maybe some grass/mold?

@Nighthawkies , good job on all the maps :D
    I would put a chair behind the library table in the elder's house. I would also use a less modern-looking floor for the kitchen.
    The second floor looks a bit barren--maybe a carpet would help?

Nighthawkies and Helladen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.