Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    The RTP tiles work better since the amount of pixels in the sprites fit better with them than the retro tiles, since they're very flat. Really don't like the filter or whatever you did to the RTP tiles, though. They look all kinds of messed up for some reason.

2. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They kind of look like they were resized with Waifu2x or something similar to that...

3. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  4. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Oki, so I got some help from fomi to get this working. Behold! Double item menus with different categories. oooh~
    It's for a crafty game for RMN's Seasons event. Using le RTP because I can, but I still need to fix the window skin to make it opaque and prettier. Still, at least it works!

Excuse the colour weirdness. Blaming ScreentoGif for that.

mobiusclimber, Tw0Face, Dama and 3 others like this.
  5. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    @Ksi I'm also wondering how to make the window skin opaque. I tried sliding the colours in the systems tab to -255-255-255 and 255,255,255 for the window skin but it doesn't work out. If you find a way please share.

@Arcmagik I used a .bat made by RyanBram found here (https://rpgmakermv.co/threads/the-best-re-sizer-possible-mostly-for-vx-ace-to-mv-with-tut.337/) and resized resources from the 2k3 nostalgia pit found here (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/the-2k3-nostalgia-pit.77835/). I used smooth not detailed, it might be better detailed with no antialiasing.

@FluffexStudios Really impressive art piece. I like the water colouring style.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  6. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    I tend to edit my actual scripts instead of making dupes, but it's a pretty easy thing to do. Make a copy of Window_Base and at line 13, add a new line and add: self.back_opacity = 255
    Bam. Fixed.

Emanzi likes this.
  7. Rabosion

Rabosion Retro Pixlr Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I made a simple splash screen for a game that went unused. Might as well use it to wish you all happy holidays!
    Christmas.png

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ksi I really like your menu setup. I still have to get into making a custom menu myself, though I don't know anything about JS. Dodged that task by working on other things, but I think your video has motivated to finally look into it.

9. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

quick little forest town i made. thoughts?
    Map014.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Marquise* likes this.
  10. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jonthefox At first it was weird looking at the roofs, then I realized that they are flat. Personally, I wouldn't make the roofs flat. Maybe add a little variety to the elevation, you could make it a real valley by having the outside even higher. I think you're doing a good job spreading out the vegetation and having darker and lighter grass. Probably it would make sense if the path wasn't interrupted by grass. For the waterfalls you can make an event that shows animated white water, it's RTP actually you can find it in the !Other2 sheet. In my opinion it would also make sense not to have the dark water right next to the islands because the dark water indicates depth and it would make more sense for the deep parts of the lake to not be right next to land. Maybe events aren't shown on your screenshot (?) but you could add actual doors to the entrances of the houses. Also I'd personally add windows to the building on the right, the overall shape of that building looks a bit weird to me to be honest. It could potentially look better if the entrance was 1 tile further up, so that the yard in the middle is a bit bigger and the parts on the side stand out more. Back to the waterfalls: Their elevation doesn't make sense because the tiles next to them are flat grass. As I said I'd add a bit more elevation in general, it would make sense for the waterfalls at least. Especially for the part on the upper left - if it can't be accessed by the player anyway, you could add more layers of elevation there. You could also add some more details, right now I believe you don't have any stones or rocks and there is nothing manmande outside the houses. Maybe there could be a well in the middle of the village? And some barrels outside the houses? And maybe there's a grave or two somewhere where the inhabitants burried someone who has passed?

I know I just listed a lot of things that - in my opinion - could be improved, but I don't think any of that would be too complex to implement which is really good for your map because the basic layout of your map follows a solid idea.

I'd also like to share a screenshot, though I'm not sure I'd be willing to make any substantial changes to the map shown:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Chaos Avian and jonthefox like this.
  11. Sleepy Kitten Games

Sleepy Kitten Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jonthefox In addition, that roof tile doesn't seem to be one of the ones that's meant to be flat. (Usually A4 roof tiles are meant to look flat, but the A3 ones are usually for looking like an angled roof that's standing up.) That's why it looks fine for the left house and the middle one, but not quite for the right house.
    And yeah, don't be afraid to make the differences between elevations a bit more dramatic. Maybe 3-5 tiles of the rock wall, depending on how you want the valley to look. With taller rock walls, you can also add other details to the walls - rocks jutting out, vines crawling up, maybe stairs if you want the player to access some places outside of where the houses are.
    If you want, you can also have some animals wandering/flying around the map. Some birds, maybe some rabbits, maybe even a deer or two.
    You could also do something to show a kind of gradient from village into forest. Have some more trees sprinkled around the area (if you don't wanna dabble in non-grid mapping/parallax mapping, then you could do as I've seen recommended on this site and edit a handful of trees into one tile and use that as one of the tileset graphics so you aren't limited in terms of layers; ditto for rocks/grass/flowers and such), grass getting thicker as you go further towards the forest, maybe even more animals wandering around as you get to the "forest" part.

jonthefox likes this.
  12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @FluffexStudios This thread is for game and map screenshots only. Please do not post your artwork here. If you want feedback on it, post in the WIP thread in Resource Support.

13. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    @Ksi I'm using MV, so would window_base be the same as rpg_windows.js?

14. Ksi

First Language:
    English
    Sorry I have no idea. I can edit scripts, I can't script stuff. I ended up getting help from a friend to fix my mistakes. ^.^;
    That said, I used google to do a quick search of "changing window opacity in mv" and found some stuff in the first few hits. Google is your friend.

Emanzi likes this.
  15. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

@Phenax thank you so much for your comments. i am a HUGE fan of your mapping and i stare at the screenshots from dragon's hope all day for inspiration, so it really means a lot to get your advice. i always have trouble with roofs because i know in the past i've made my houses too square-samey and boring boxes, so i try to make different shapes even though the RTP roof tiles aren't really meant for that. I guess I should try using some of the angled roof edits people have made. Your point about the deep water in lake makes sense, and i also realized the elevation error with the waterfalls. ditto for the event with the waterfalls. i'll try making those changes and post again. thank you!

your map is gorgeous by the way, though that one tree sitting on the cliff bothers me. would love for you to considering doing some mapping tutorials, i feel like there aren't many good editor-mapping tutorials for MV.

@GameFire thank you yeah, i realized after making the map that only using one layer of elevation is kind of meh. towns are such a struggle for me...thank you for your comments, i'll try to work on it!

Phenax likes this.
  16. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jonthefox That's just too much praise but thank you, reading that made my day :) I agree with the tree in my picture, I replaced it with some flowers. I'm really looking forward to seeing your updated map!

17. karraymalek

karraymalek Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hello , this is my first post here, I hope you like it
    [​IMG]

the base
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  18. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    @karraymalek The lighting and shadows looks so real, I'm guessing this must be parallax mapped. Theres so much detail and texture. Amazing.

karraymalek likes this.
  19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @karraymalek You need to make your shadows a bit more consistent. Almost everything has a shadow except the block at the top with skulls on. Sure, it has a light over it, but it would still throw a small'ish shadow forwards. Notice the angles of your shadows. The gates, for example, have an almost vertical shadow, the cauldron and rectangular table have shadows which imply a light source more top left - and given the position of the cauldron, I'm not sure why it has such a deep shadow anyway, as no light source would reach it because of the bit of wall sticking out behind it.

I prefer the top version, I find the lighting in the second one a bit harsh, and too white

karraymalek likes this.
  20. kenjivn14

kenjivn14 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ready to be farmers yet!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.