Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

1. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Finished another GUI :D

[​IMG]
    Sadly Gyazo made the text a bit fuzzy. Normal size is 2560 x 1440.

2. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Emanzi I like the first UI better than the second. It's always better to have explicit text for menu items than just an obscure icon. Oftentimes an icon isn't sufficient by itself, unless it is an extremely well known icon (like the copy/paste icons in almost every MS program). The UI in the first pic also looks cleaner to me.

@BCj SWEET!! That looks really nice!

BCj likes this.
  3. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd like to share this screenshot of Owlbert who is coming for the rescue of a bunny that got stuck on top of a tree:

[​IMG]

4. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    @GolfHacker OK, ill avoid using obscure icons and as a bonus Galvs Bust Menu works with Yanflys Job Points and Status Core plugins. SRD has a few hiccups like not showing the face set for the first time when using Yanflys Status Core and not displaying Job Points.

Screenshot 2019-01-05 16.46.57.png

@Phenax
    Awsome tiles! Are you using Moghunters weather EX? I like the blowing brown leaves.

mobiusclimber and Phenax like this.
  5. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Emanzi Thank you! Credit for the tiles really goes to Avery (edited her cliffs), PandaMaru (trees) and whtdragon (animal sprites). Yes, it's Moghunter's Weather EX but I replaced the standard leaves with leaves that I thought fit better for the map. The tileset really is mostly a mix of edited RTP and free for use assets.

Emanzi likes this.
  6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Makayta I don't think world maps for games should be looked at as a whole, or at least, it shouldn't be very important compared to other things. It looks fine as a world, but it doesn't look like it'd be any fun to play a game in. Some of the land masses are good, but others have large stretches of traveling to get to the next map point, with nothing much to see on the way, and everything is divided up by large stretches of water. A world map that's fun to play in probably won't look realistic at all, but it'll fulfill it's purpose for being in a game a lot better. Try mapping from the perspective of the player, in small sections, and be sure to test how it feels to travel in. Make sure to include playing through any of the random battles you intend to have, since that can make small distances feel larger. The second map is very pretty.

7. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Phenax How did you do the puzzle game? Never thought RPGM could do that! :D

Phenax likes this.
  8. Makayta

Makayta Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That is a good point, I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

9. Ziyan

Ziyan The Holy Sword Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Makayta Oof I'm loving that forest clearing map!

Makayta likes this.
  10. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marquise*

It all works with show picture and conditional branches. All of the pictures have respective variables, including the selection frame. You can move the selection frame with the arrow keys, close the puzzle with the escape button (it just erases all pictures, tints the screen back to normal and fades in the sunlight) and pick up a piece by pressing enter. There are conditional branches for the user's input. For example, if up is pressed -> reduce selection frame y variable by 96. A switch goes on when the selection frame is above a puzzle piece and enter is pressed and the selection frame picture gets swapped to one with a different colour to indicate that a piece is selected. Each of the 20 puzzle pieces have a switch too. When the switch of a puzzle piece is on, the variables for the tile always get set equal to the variables of the selection frame after the selection frame is moved. Then there is a switch for each possible position that checks if that place is occupied so that the player can't break the puzzle by stacking pieces onto each other. By pressing ok again the respective switches get turned off again and the piece is dropped, unless the player is trying to drop it above an occupied space. We've also made it so that if the selection frame is at the border, it jumps right to the other side if the player is trying to go beyond the border. This allows the player to save a bit of time when moving around the selection frame. Then there's a parallel process running with a string of 40 conditional branches, checking if the puzzle pieces are at their correct position (its 20x2 because x and y variable for each piece). The game is still running normally in the background while all of this happens which is why you can see the leaves falling and the bunny hopping around, the only difference is that the screen is tinted and pictures are shown. I hope this explanation somewhat makes sense.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  11. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Phenax Will try that someday (if I can figure it out XD )

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    _elvenheart likes this.
  12. FiercestPixel

FiercestPixel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Emanzi
    Looks good, I also like SRDs a little more!

Wait, so the annoying face graphic glitch is caused by the SRD bust plugin with yanflys status core??

13. hyuugacln

hyuugacln Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I could use some help and ideas with my battle screen layout. You see, there's a lot of information to be displayed, and I don't want it to be messy.

At the bottom there's the order of the current and the next turn. Above that there's the stats of your current monsters. At the top of the screen the name of the currently selected skill is displayed, along with its hit and crit chances. A huge arrow indicates which target the skill is going to hit. I think this layout is kinda good so far.

But heck, I have no idea where to put the enemy data. For the moment I put name, level and HP bar right under the according enemy, but that doesn't look too great. Also, I'd like the HP to be visible all the time. Any idea how to do that? I mean, not technically, but from a design standpoint.

[​IMG]

Lornsteyn, SoSick. and Marquise* like this.
  14. _elvenheart

_elvenheart The Vintage Tiger Cub Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Makayta That's a nice forest clearing you got there. But putting extra vegetation wouldn't hurt either. Random leaves, flowers, etc. would do, and add a more natural feel to it. Other than that, that's a great map!

It's been so long (maybe years) since I last posted something, so here's something that I am working on. Not much, but it's kinda fun to be back!
    upload_2019-1-9_23-27-19.png
    I'm using CP Battle Engine, with the DS+ battlers I edited to look like the Sengoku Heroes included in that pack.

15. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Tweaked the main menu for OHMIC. Not perfect, I suppose, though it's a lot more organized and polished, I think <3

16. doodlebound

doodlebound Freelance artist and newbie game dev! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    A little village map... Some things are still subject to change.

17. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I really like the shapes you've given stuff like the plants and water and animals. Just... really nicely done. >.<)b
    I will say, though, that the lilypads could be a little... better in that aspect. They seem to be flat instead of 3/4 view. The wall vine could also seem less like it's in front of the wall and more part of it. Maybe if it followed the bricks a bit and perhaps some shadows on the wall could show it being further and closer at some points?

zacheatscrackers likes this.
  18. CrowStorm

CrowStorm Check my résumé, your residence is residue Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Phenax: that map is gorgeous and owlbert is adorable! I <3 owls.

@doodlebound: normally black and white is not my thing, but very stylish use of it here (and your screenie has crows <3). If you're looking for nitpicks: the light cast by the two lamps on either side of the door looks very awkward and just plain wrong, the way it stops midway down the building wall. The light should extend at least to the top of the planters. Also it's not immediately clear that the pond is a pond, at least not to me. I had to look at it for 15-20 seconds and then I was like "oh, it's a pond, I see it now, that's cool". But that's just if you WANTED critique. That screenshot meets or exceeds all my screenshot standards ;)

Phenax likes this.
  19. Lee Sang

Lee Sang Sang Hendrix Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another screenshot from the project I'm working on.
    [​IMG]

20. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hyuugacln I've moved your post to Game Maps and Screenshots, as that is the best place to get that sort of feedback.