Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Bananabelle

Princess Bananabelle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @cabfe It's been abandoned for about 5 years, and near a forest, so that might excuse being overrun by spiders. I see what you mean about the table, I'll probably remove. I will remove the moss though, I can't think of any real reason to keep it. Thank you so much for your input.

2. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Instead of the moss, you could liven up the map with a lot more cracks and holes in the floorboards. You've already done a good job showing decay with the walls and furniture, but the floor is too clean.

Princess Bananabelle likes this.
  3. Princess Bananabelle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aoi Ninami Thanks for the advice.

So I took what I learned here and tried again, does this look better? I need to make sure the player has access to the beds, so I tried to put cracks where I couldn't put holes.
    Map121.png

Marquise* likes this.
  4. Cranky Construct

Cranky Construct Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Putting together a new battle system for my game and thought I'd share it here, even though it's still in the early stages.

I hope you guys like it ^^/
    [​IMG]

5. karraymalek

karraymalek Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    some screen from my forest map

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dargor91

Dargor91 Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm really fascinated by your maps guys, you are all great!

I hope to learn parallax mapping one day, for now I'm trying to stick to RTP resources to master the basics and really get the feeling of the program (I started using it less than 2 weeks ago).

I will post 2 maps here, from the same zone, which represented the first mapping challenge to me. I really like doing indoor maps and I'm pretty satisfied with the results, but then I wanted to try making a big outdoor map and I regret that decision.

They are ugly but I'm interested to know if they "make sense" to you, regarding the perspective, the feeling of heigth etc.

Image 1: I tried my best to give it a certain triangle-ness, to make it feel like a mountain top:
    Map056.png

Image 2: Wanted to make a winding path that circles down to the center:
    Map060.png

Any suggestion will be much appreciated!

7. Princess Bananabelle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dargor91 I noticed a few shadow issues that you'll want to look at. They may not be wrong, and just be me not recognizing the sloping in your map. Overall your maps look very nice, and I like the way you handled the sloping.

I've circled and numbered the shadow issues in the spoiler below
    1. It looks to me like the floor needs shadows
    2. You may want to shift-click a curved edge to that tile.
    3. I'm not sure if this is your sloping or not, but I feel like the shadow should go further down.
    4. This should be two wide to follow the rest of the map's pattern

You'll also want to remove the shadows around the bridge, it doesn't make sense for the bridge to cast a shadow onto air.
    Finally, whenever you're making multi-elevation maps always keep in mind passability. Because the ground is all the same tile, when you have two elevations next to each other, by default the player can just walk right over the edge. I pointed out such an area at 5. I didn't see any issues in the second map, it looks good.
    map edit.png

SrOscuro likes this.
  8. Dargor91

Dargor91 Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Princess Bananabelle Thank you so much for your feedback, I corrected all the things you pointed out!
    Regarding the shadows around the bridge, I've been trying to remove them for quite a while before giving up, they are added automatically by the fence-type tiles on top of the bridge, as well as by the tiles I used on the bottom; I've taken the latters from page B of the Outside tileset, I guess they are not meant to be used on page A's bridge (but rather page B's small bridges) but I liked how they "framed" the structure without being too large. If there isn't any other secret method like shift-clicking that could come in handy in this situation, I guess I will just put a wooden wall tile.
    Thank you again, really appreciated!

Princess Bananabelle likes this.
  9. Princess Bananabelle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dargor91 If you have gimp (or just about any other image editing software) you can easily edit the tiles to remove the shadow with the help of the color selection tool. Just select and erase. You'll want to create a new tileset with it, incase you want to use those parts somewhere else with the shadows.

10. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Part of the hub.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    SrOscuro, Rabosion, dsiver144 and 5 others like this.
  11. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    ...now I don't want to post my screenshot because your is so cursing pretty, Lorenze. XD
    I really like your style, and that scrolling background behind the door is pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    It's a cave, fairly bog standard, but I liked what I've done to is. I'm wondering if I should go a touch darker for the lighting, though - not fully dark because what's the use of mapping nicely if you're just going to shove black over the top so people can't see, but just... a touch.

[​IMG]
    Fowest. I've yet to get the anti-autoshadow script, but it's coming.

12. BitBrosGames

BitBrosGames *Keeps ruminating* Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    They look impressive! It's a great use of parallax!
    Where can I see more of your game?

Looks really good. ^^

Here's a couple of screenshots of my game, Monigote Fantasy.
    The style is very simple like the one in 8-bit games. The graphics are fully custom made.
    Hope you like them:

Monigote Fantasy 01.png Monigote Fantasy 02.png Monigote Fantasy 03.png Monigote Fantasy 04.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  13. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Ah, not parallax, actually. All just default mapping with tile edits. Thanks! I do have a gamepage on RMN for the game. I should probably make a topic here eventually, though.

A really like your stuff too. That Kraken looks terrifying!

BitBrosGames likes this.
  14. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ksi: That looks great! I especially like the forest, it's very cozy and serene.

@BitBrosGames: The only gripe I have is the inconsistent pixel sizes, it looks really off in that first battle screen. Otherwise I like the style, I'm a sucker for anything NES-inspired. :)

Redid the overall look for my (space) forest area - thoughts?
    [​IMG]

15. BitBrosGames

BitBrosGames *Keeps ruminating* Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    The issue you mention is exclusive to that map. It's like a Gulliver world, that's why you fight chess pieces. :p

By the way, I like the style of the forest map, especially the animations. :)

Lorenze likes this.
  16. Blackwolf89

Blackwolf89 Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello guys!

I bought MV in January, read up a few things, and thought I share the first draft of my "starting village" in here, and I'd be glad to get some feedback about it. :)

Addition: I didn't add any shadows and light effects yet, as I found some more stuff to edit on the parallax map such as overlays etc.

most recent version.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  17. SrOscuro

SrOscuro oO Member

First Language:
    spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Look great and very old-style, especially on the use of colors. The only small (very small) issue I noticed it's about the sphere sprites moving around, the small ones I think are using higher resolution sprites (smaller -non duplicated?- pixels), and on the big ones the low res screen effect is lost because are rotating (and rotation engine uses smaller pixels too).

Anyway it's not a big issue, probably related to the engine itself, and I probably just ignore that if working on that resolution.
    I specially like the trees that feels nice with only two colors.

Lorenze likes this.
  18. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Blackwolf89 Very impressive that you're already getting into parallax mapping considering you've bought the engine just this month! Already liking your mapping, especially the houses. I do think there's quite a clash of styles going on with your assets though. The houses, the floor and the trees all don't go too well with each other. I'd suggest trying to apply filters to the trees that make them look less realistic. I also believe that the grass, stone pavement and river could use some warmer colours to match the style of the houses. The map generally could use some flowers and bushes. Maybe also stones and rocks which in my opinion make most sense to be near cliffs or in the river. It's easy to have great looking partly-underwater-rocks by lowering the opacity of the part that's underwater. The paving leading up to the houses is a bit thin and inconsistent because for the house on the right side, the paving doesn't touch the house but on the left side it does. The last suggestion I have might be a bit nitpicky, but I'm not sure how much sense it makes to have a well right next to a river. Your mapping is really solid considering you've only just started using the engine! I personally don't do any parallax mapping because it's very time consuming.

I'd like to share a screenshot myself. We've extended the mountain in our game by 5 tiles on the y-axis. That way the camera doesn't stop moving along with the player on the southern parts of the mountain, further adding to the feeling that there are no artifical borders, only natural ones for the player.

[​IMG]

This is a part of the southern end of the map. Only the northwestern and northeastern levels can be accessed by the player. The rest is to create the illusion that the world doesn't end here but extends endlessly.

Marquise* likes this.
  19. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First attempt at making a forest in a couple of years, made some mistakes designing the map, but it's done for the most part aside from some touching up.

[​IMG]

Lemonrice, lianderson and Marquise* like this.
  20. JoelMarler

JoelMarler Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The intro cutscene to my game. The movement of the camera is shaky because I'm recording the screen, which impacted the sound quality and timing of the scene changes too. Any advice for how to improve it?

Marquise* likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.