Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gigaswardblade taking on the same opinion as @Miss Nile, you still need to reduce the size of village even more. There is a lot of big spaces that are no use for the player, and unless you plan on adding more tiles like more houses or trees I suggest that you try to condense the buildings more. Don't be afraid of small maps, be afraid of giant ones ^^ About the cliff, nature isn't so perfect like that, and unless it is man made, maybe you could play around with shapes (retaining the same size of tiles) to create a more visual appealing cliff.
The road is a lot better now in my opinion.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
My contribution is not the best at displaying the quality of the map, or lack there of, but after some tinkering with some plugins I created a hilarious end result, I hope you like it!

Puruiro

Artist and wannabe Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@KanaX Wow, that looks so cool! The part with the picture gave me little goosebumps, I love that idea. I'm looking foward what you can do more with this^^

acirnep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian,English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX wow, that looks great!

I'm taking a break from sprites and working on the map. It is meant to be simple and repetitive, and it still needs work, but I'd appreciate some opinions on the general feels and details

Screenshot 2018-02-07 15.49.33.png

gigaswardblade

narcisistic narcoleptic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX wow, that looks great!

I'm taking a break from sprites and working on the map. It is meant to be simple and repetitive, and it still needs work, but I'd appreciate some opinions on the general feels and details

welcome to diamond city. population: surprisingly nobody.

Kristhor84

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi guys!

I made a town to go with my forest map (page 2 of this thread). What do you guys think? See anything disturbing?

Credits for the materials used:
Grass and flowers: XxJapoZeroxX and Lunarea
Houses (roofs): Candacis
Trees: PandaMaru
Some of the grass: whtdragon
Cliffs: MrPyramidHead an Kadokawa
Underwater plants: Candacis

Town South.jpg

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kristhor84 A forest town might well have a fence all round as protection from forest animals.

The basic map is fine, but there are a few points.
The path going up the stairs top right simply does not work. Use shift+click mapping to take the path right up to the edges of the stairs (and also peoples' doors - do they jump that last foot or so, that there is such a noticeable gap?) and leave the stairs without extra wear and tear unless you can edit them yourself.

The large public area is wasted space at the moment. You have the notice board pushed right to the edge and a couple of benches staring at a lamp post and a pot of flowers. You could make this more compact and more interesting by moving things in from the edges. Does the village need a well? Could it do with some more potted plants? Think of others things which might reasonably be there.

The 2 red roofed houses in the row of 4 have windows that are well above the height of the door. Think about how the people inside will be unable to look out unless they go upstairs.

This final point is totally personal preference. I have never understood why people put very urban lamp posts in basically rural settings. Where does the power supply come from? You could easily make (or request) simple wooden lamp posts with a lantern hanging down from a little cross piece. Just a suggestion.

Kristhor84

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes , thank you very much for your tips and points of improvement!

Now that I look to the stairs, it indeed doesn't look right, I'll try to fix that.
I'm going to use the large square for festivals and other events like markets, however that doesn't mean I can't fill it up a bit when there's no event at the square. I do have to make sure I fill it with 'movable' objects though, but that will work. Potted plants are a good idea.
And the windows, lol. I see what you mean. I will lower them, and maybe add a second row of windows. Something like that. I'll figure out how to best place them to avoid the idea of giants living in the house...
I do not like the idea of a fence around the town though, as I want it to be 'open'. There won't be very dangerous animals and the town will have a guardian in case anything nasty does pop up.
And you make a very good point with those lamps, I didn't think about that. There will be electricity in this town (lamps in houses), however I agree these lanterns do not fit well with the environment. I'll find better ones.
Thank you!

Kristhor84

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Been working on a gas station area for a small rural U.S. town. I think the parking lot is too clean, lol. I need to make some more stains and some cracks maybe.

View attachment 82421

That looks very nice! I do think the stripes of the parking lot are too bright though. When I look at the map, those stripes draw a lot of attention.
I don't mind that the parking lot is quite empty. They are supposed to be like that right?

Puruiro

Artist and wannabe Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@mlogan I agree with kristhor84, they are too bright and look too clean for a rural gas station. You could make the colors more fading and/or decaying.
Else looks very good!

gigaswardblade

narcisistic narcoleptic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so i found out that the mystery tile on the overworld tileset is apparently supposed to be a paved road. i looked in the tilesets folder and read the txt file.

flashbax

Just some dude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
27849503_10154951573441152_889009910_n.png

A 150 x 150 map I did for a customer (took about 2-3 hours with some communication; based off a drawing he wanted, $25, VX Ace). This was a quick map that he can retool later. It was the first time I had to match anyones specifications and proved to have several challenges. Overall he was really happy with it.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@flashbax

As he should, it is a really nice map! World maps is a particular favorite of mine and this one is really well made. Here is map I have made for my own game (it is shown as a image when the player clicks a button). It works kinda like the GameBoy Zelda games where one square of the map corresponds to one screen in the game.
5NwBkOW.jpg

I don´t actually remember if I have posted this one here before. If I have, I apologize.

acirnep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian,English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
welcome to diamond city. population: surprisingly nobody.

lol, I had no idea what you meant but a quick google search fixed that. The game is meant for an event and that shade of green is the main official color. I am not sure whether I should keep the sidewalk and road as they are, or make them greener.

flashbax

Just some dude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@flashbax

As he should, it is a really nice map! World maps is a particular favorite of mine and this one is really well made. Here is map I have made for my own game (it is shown as a image when the player clicks a button). It works kinda like the GameBoy Zelda games where one square of the map corresponds to one screen in the game.
5NwBkOW.jpg

I don´t actually remember if I have posted this one here before. If I have, I apologize.

Thank you! Your map is really sweet looking? Is that a plug in or custom?

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@flashbax
It is done with a (free) program called Inkarnate. In-game it is just showed as an image via a event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:
It's a common thing to forget eating &drinking while you are working concentrated, right?
If I had discovered RPG-Maker before moving together with my girlfriend, I'd have died of dehydration a long time ago.
Ami
trying to change my picture & got screwed up...
I've been busy working on my next music pack, and I've also been busy composing some personal compositions. Depending on the type of mood and setting, sometimes I just really love the sound of music created in lofi mono. It has its charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruce16montez144