Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Been forever since I've posted anything here. Not much but some custom scripts to give the characters sprite effects - that was pretty much inspired by moghunters scripts. I like when the characters are all woobly.

Also just messing around with laying out the menus to be no-intrusive to the battlers.
    [​IMG]

Marquise*, Bonkers, Leanne and 3 others like this.
  2. CallMeKerrigan

CallMeKerrigan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @sleepy_sealion

The animation looks great! The drawings are also really good and super cute. I love puppies and racoons haha :D
    Are you leaving the menu that way? Or is it just a placeholder?

I made a youtube video showing how I made a map and someone told me it looked really sloppy and bad. I was wondering how I could improve it? I intended for the house to look ugly and quite sloppy however it is for an emotional scene, so I don't want to make people laugh at my bad mapping during an impactful scene haha.

help.PNG
    help2.PNG
    help3.PNG

3. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcisistic narcoleptic Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    a lot of them are just landmarks and arent the actual size that they are on the map. there is a lot of empty space that gets skipped over when traveling around the place, so thats why some things may be spaced out in weird ways. also, i didnt want to talk about every single thing thats on this map since i felt that not all of it was important. i will ,however, answer any questions about landmarks in zones that ive already talked about if you have any.

4. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gigaswardblade I think almost everything you have going is good, it's just when it's mashed together on the world map it seems a bit cluttered and messy to me, that's the only thing I am trying to say. But I'd prefer it if you had another opinion since I'm not sure if that's just my own.

Here is an example of a world map I made just for fun a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

I don't think this is really a good world map, because some things are in very odd places, so I don't recommend you copy my style with where objects have been placed here, but yet it is still an example of how things are not as cluttered together as much, to help explain what I'm trying to say.

Note. I still think this map could have longer gaps and lengths between places, but it's more spead out, which is what I'm thinking is a good idea.

You can still keep all your locations together without having gaps of sea and still spread it out more.

Marquise* likes this.
  5. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    The dog game looks adorable!

Anyhow. I've been busy on odds and ends. Thinking of doing something for the release something event. Figure it would be a fun milestone. Here is a tileset test run. tileset_testdrive.jpg

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Weremole There's something very Chrono Trigger about that map. I think with it being that rocky it needs a few rocks that aren't part of the mountain side, if you have them. It's also not clear what this area is for. Can you exit on the left or the top right or is this a dead end? If you're supposed to walk up the top right, it might be a little cramped to traverse.

atoms likes this.
  7. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Has to be the leaves. =)
    I have loose rock tiles. The paths also goes nowhere, it's just a test run made so I can implement things like functioning slopes and elevation. Speaking of slopes do you think they would benefit from their own graphic or would context clues suffice?

8. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm, I don't think it's that. I've been seeing that exact style of drawing foliage a little too often lately, and I'm not a fan. It's reminding me of one of the maps you fight lavos spawn, plus a little mystic mountain. Palette and layout maybe.

Yes to both questions. The context is sufficient, it looks like you'd be climbing up, but it could still benefit from it's own graphic. A different texture on the snow at least, the one you've got really only belongs someplace flat.

9. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Alrighty then. Different graphic it is. Thank you for your input!

10. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i just wanna clear something up here. you know my map isnt the overworld, right? my game isnt gonna have an overworld. thats just the world map.

11. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm going to redraw it. But the layout is kind of experimental - but it kind of gets what I want, a clean view of the battlers. I do need to figure out how to optimize the script and get rid of the overlapping menu's.

12. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A Overworld Map that I was working on using RTP and community resources. There is no water there because it is an image that will overlay the RTP water so that the water will be animated.

[​IMG]

Leanne and atoms like this.
  13. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gigaswardblade Are you saying the image is only used to show what the world map looks like, or are you planning to use it to select different places?

My comments remain the same though, it looks good in many ways but it's still cluttered all together in a way that looks slightly messy, maybe that's just my opinion but what I think at least.

@Weremole I agree with @Sharm on that map having a Chrono Trigger feel/style to it, I like a lot actually if I'm honest. Keep taking good advice and keep going! I'm sure your mapping will turn out well because the pixel art is really nice.

14. DJK1NG_Gaming

DJK1NG_Gaming Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A desert in my game. Location: Opari Desert. This Pyramid I made myself.
    [​IMG]

Marquise*, atoms and SoSick. like this.
  15. AmieLK

AmieLK Tired Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Newww bases to post! 4, in fact. They're still ugly flat colours only so that I can edit them quicker, but all comments and critique are welcome!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (excuse the yellow path tile markers. it's for my own reference on where to center the path)

16. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  17. AmieLK

AmieLK Tired Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lorenze I adore the harsh contrasts and gradients. my only complaint would be that the pavement brick and the building bricks are both horizonally oriented, so they kinda mesh a little. It throws the perspective a little bit, but. that'd be if I was being absurdly finicky. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to try your game out.

Lorenze likes this.
  18. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    kinda both. almost all important locations have travel rods near them so you can quickly move across the world.

atoms likes this.
  19. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gigaswardblade I still stand by my comment that, to me, the overworld still feels as if different sections and all the locations are all cluttered together, but the travelling ideas all sound neat to me. Best of luck with the directions you take your game.

Arcmagik likes this.
  20. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @AmieLK I think the fact that you have lots of likes and no comments on your maps proves that you're doing fantastic. I'm so happy that you've switched to drawing these, they're so pretty!

@Lorenze I see what AmieLK is talking about. I think if you make the base of the brick buildings solid and bigger it helps the buildings stand on their own a little better. The mapping is solid though. If you want to make it look a little more vibrant, a few more neon signs would add to the party atmosphere, but it doesn't need them to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.