Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@karraymalek When you have a lot or big maps, please put your maps inside of a spoiler, that's a lot of images to try and load all at once. They're very pretty and well done, but I do wonder if the mottled look would get tiring on the eyes after a while.

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been working on a church/chapel map, using an amazing prebuilt tileset from Haydeos. I couldn't really think of any decent ways to use the bottom half of the map, and I was struggling to fit any more custom tilesets for this map in, so I decided to cut it out and I think it looks a lot better.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ksi You were right, adding some more houses really improved the overall look of the map. I messed around with the paths as well, but I'm not sure if it looks better or not. Thoughts are appreciated. :)

professorbeej

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of our steampunk novel, Nimbus. So my partner and I released the first screenshot (still mega-early) of the follow-up RPG that we're working on. Here's an airship dock on the skyport Winglet.

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Decided to work on the inside of my new chapel. The first version felt really off, but I transformed it to better match the outside structure.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@karraymalek People are asked to use spoilers when there are a lot of images, especially if they are large. I have put your images into a spoiler for you this time, but please keep this in mind for future posts.
Thanks.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SOC Oh, I like that layout! The walltop tile looks a little out of place though... Do you have room in the tileset for that map to add anything? A matching stone half-pipe or a bevel would frame the room better, although to have it match the lighting you'd need to have a mirror image pair of tilesets.

I'm working on battlebacks and can't decide what pattern to put on the wall in this indoor scene:
battleback potato quality.png
The other tile type in the overworld is:
fancy 2.png(...But uh, square?)

...so I'm trying to decide between using the floor tile, using the presented alt tile, or some third geometric pattern and just wing it.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Benevolentwanderer When transforming your floor to make a vanishing point, you need to take care how you have done the original tile. At the moment, not only do you have the tiles reducing to the vanishing point (fine, that's what they're supposed to do), the way the horizontal lines go, I get the visual impression that they form a shallow valley. Maybe it's the way you have made the side tiles longer than they are wide? Dunno, I'm not an artist. All I know is that the floor looks convex.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Benevolentwanderer to add on what @Kes says : it indeed looks like you're walking in a convex.
If you look at the far point (red circle) you can see the pattern forming a near perfect circle and the floor angles in the start (green lines) are angled up rather strong. So the middle 3 lines are the 'flat' surface and the rest is more of a shallow, or that's the impression it leaves anyway.
Of course this can be intentional in which case never mind :)

battleback potato quality.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes @Finnuval Oh yeah, haha, that was totally intentional. It's supposed to be a trippy location in a game that's already a little trippy to start with; geometric insanity is just par for the course. It's based on the effect you get with a fisheye lens, modified to be even a little bit more unnatural looking.

(Besides, who cares about realism when you're coming up with funky geometric patterns? Not me, apparently :LZYwink: )

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Benevolentwanderer well in that case mission succesful lol
But if you want to truly give it that trippy feel you might want to consider bending the pillars too :)

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On to the residential area! I think the different style roofs may make me need to replace those houses with the standard MV ones, but they're just too pretty not to use.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SOC honestly I think the different housing styles clash to much but that's personal preference so... yeah.

The path though does have a flaw : You have the wall all the way up to the pavement on all places except the exit to the left where the lower wall is actually one tile removed from the path where it should cut into the path to be the same as the wall above it.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Looks like you've got a good start there. You've got a few places where shadows are missing/inconsistent, mainly around the castle and the buildings that have shadows going into the walls, so if you're not using a script to do them, I would fix those. Additionally, what I think you're really missing is greater detail. Things like broken bricks, cracked roads and especially plants and nature things around the more natural parts of the city. Also, it may just be me but I feel like the wooden fences inside the city walls are a bit off, I'd replace them with one of the other ones. Overall I really like the layout you've got going on, you just gotta fill in all the empty space with detail so the map really pops. :)

Completely unrelated, this is part of the hills that surrounds a town I've been working on. I'm pretty happy with how it looks but I'm a bit concerned that there's too much going on at any given time. Thoughts?

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@shadefoundry That looks good, although a couple of things stand out. Firstly, all your ground is 0, 4, 7 or 11 tiles above the lowest level -- nothing in between. That would be an "acceptable break from reality" if each tier of the hill was a place you needed to walk, but when it's just for looking at, I'd expect many more ledges and steps at intermediate levels. Secondly, there are too many trees for such steep terrain, and especially the tree stump and fallen log tiles are overused. Why would your lumberjack climb a four-metre rockface to cut down wood when there are perfectly good trees on the lowest level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I like Iron Maiden.
Benku wrote on Magnus0808's profile.
Hey man you helped me out a long time ago with a plugin i was wondering if you can help me out one more time since its literally the last thing i need help with if not is cool but id figured id ask you one more soild.
Stream will be live shortly with a guest stream! Tonight, a new guest joins~ Feel free to drop by!
Finally told my boss I need a day off. Tomorrow will be my first in 23 days.
Kind of a goofy question but has the pandemic inspired you in any way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magidonsa