Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @karraymalek When you have a lot or big maps, please put your maps inside of a spoiler, that's a lot of images to try and load all at once. They're very pretty and well done, but I do wonder if the mottled look would get tiring on the eyes after a while.

2. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been working on a church/chapel map, using an amazing prebuilt tileset from Haydeos. I couldn't really think of any decent ways to use the bottom half of the map, and I was struggling to fit any more custom tilesets for this map in, so I decided to cut it out and I think it looks a lot better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finnuval, atoms and Marquise* like this.
  3. shadefoundry

shadefoundry Is Sinistar Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ksi You were right, adding some more houses really improved the overall look of the map. I messed around with the paths as well, but I'm not sure if it looks better or not. Thoughts are appreciated. :)
    [​IMG]

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  4. professorbeej

professorbeej Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of our steampunk novel, Nimbus. So my partner and I released the first screenshot (still mega-early) of the follow-up RPG that we're working on. Here's an airship dock on the skyport Winglet.

[​IMG]

5. SOC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Decided to work on the inside of my new chapel. The first version felt really off, but I transformed it to better match the outside structure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

atoms, Marquise* and shadefoundry like this.
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @karraymalek People are asked to use spoilers when there are a lot of images, especially if they are large. I have put your images into a spoiler for you this time, but please keep this in mind for future posts.
    Thanks.

7. Benevolentwanderer

Benevolentwanderer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SOC Oh, I like that layout! The walltop tile looks a little out of place though... Do you have room in the tileset for that map to add anything? A matching stone half-pipe or a bevel would frame the room better, although to have it match the lighting you'd need to have a mirror image pair of tilesets.

I'm working on battlebacks and can't decide what pattern to put on the wall in this indoor scene:
    battleback potato quality.png
    The other tile type in the overworld is:
    fancy 2.png (...But uh, square?)

...so I'm trying to decide between using the floor tile, using the presented alt tile, or some third geometric pattern and just wing it.

Marquise*, atoms and SOC like this.
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Benevolentwanderer When transforming your floor to make a vanishing point, you need to take care how you have done the original tile. At the moment, not only do you have the tiles reducing to the vanishing point (fine, that's what they're supposed to do), the way the horizontal lines go, I get the visual impression that they form a shallow valley. Maybe it's the way you have made the side tiles longer than they are wide? Dunno, I'm not an artist. All I know is that the floor looks convex.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Benevolentwanderer to add on what @Kes says : it indeed looks like you're walking in a convex.
    If you look at the far point (red circle) you can see the pattern forming a near perfect circle and the floor angles in the start (green lines) are angled up rather strong. So the middle 3 lines are the 'flat' surface and the rest is more of a shallow, or that's the impression it leaves anyway.
    Of course this can be intentional in which case never mind :)

battleback potato quality.png

rue669, Marquise* and atoms like this.
  10. Benevolentwanderer

Benevolentwanderer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes @Finnuval Oh yeah, haha, that was totally intentional. It's supposed to be a trippy location in a game that's already a little trippy to start with; geometric insanity is just par for the course. It's based on the effect you get with a fisheye lens, modified to be even a little bit more unnatural looking.

(Besides, who cares about realism when you're coming up with funky geometric patterns? Not me, apparently :LZYwink: )

Marquise* and Finnuval like this.
  11. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Benevolentwanderer well in that case mission succesful lol
    But if you want to truly give it that trippy feel you might want to consider bending the pillars too :)

Benevolentwanderer likes this.
  12. kaine

kaine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Testing the new chipset/tileset making some map!
    [​IMG]

13. miani

miani Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Looks very nice, the tileset and the map itself. Made me want to see more of these.

14. SOC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On to the residential area! I think the different style roofs may make me need to replace those houses with the standard MV ones, but they're just too pretty not to use.

[​IMG]

Marquise* and atoms like this.
  15. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SOC honestly I think the different housing styles clash to much but that's personal preference so... yeah.

The path though does have a flaw : You have the wall all the way up to the pavement on all places except the exit to the left where the lower wall is actually one tile removed from the path where it should cut into the path to be the same as the wall above it.

16. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    What's better than having an animated title screen?
    Having two!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Hyouryuu-Na, Lycanimuss and rue669 like this.
  17. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

not finished yet. but I'm not sure what else to add. any suggestions?

18. Tw0Face

Tw0Face Chief Executive Officer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My game got some fresh buildings.

[​IMG]

Sharm and Marquise* like this.
  19. shadefoundry

shadefoundry Is Sinistar Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Looks like you've got a good start there. You've got a few places where shadows are missing/inconsistent, mainly around the castle and the buildings that have shadows going into the walls, so if you're not using a script to do them, I would fix those. Additionally, what I think you're really missing is greater detail. Things like broken bricks, cracked roads and especially plants and nature things around the more natural parts of the city. Also, it may just be me but I feel like the wooden fences inside the city walls are a bit off, I'd replace them with one of the other ones. Overall I really like the layout you've got going on, you just gotta fill in all the empty space with detail so the map really pops. :)

Completely unrelated, this is part of the hills that surrounds a town I've been working on. I'm pretty happy with how it looks but I'm a bit concerned that there's too much going on at any given time. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Chaos Avian, Marquise* and atoms like this.
  20. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @shadefoundry That looks good, although a couple of things stand out. Firstly, all your ground is 0, 4, 7 or 11 tiles above the lowest level -- nothing in between. That would be an "acceptable break from reality" if each tier of the hill was a place you needed to walk, but when it's just for looking at, I'd expect many more ledges and steps at intermediate levels. Secondly, there are too many trees for such steep terrain, and especially the tree stump and fallen log tiles are overused. Why would your lumberjack climb a four-metre rockface to cut down wood when there are perfectly good trees on the lowest level?

atoms and shadefoundry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.