Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Alexander Hawksmoor

Wow, that GUI looks quite beautiful. ^^ And I am a fan of brownish colors so it is extra good-looking to me. XD

If I have any comments, I would suggest pushing the three middle windows a little downward so that it is more centered? And maybe widen the distance between the character window and the equipment window a little bit? So that there are less empty spaces around the menu. Oh, and it should be "Information" with a capital I? XD

2. Alexander Hawksmoor

Alexander Hawksmoor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Miss Nile I'm toying about with the layout atm, I absolutely agree about filling out some of the space, just unsure how much space to leave incase I decide I want a coder to add some things. If I decide to leave as is, I'll probs just space them apart like you said. As for the information bit, I haven't edited that bit yet, primarily cause I'd forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me XD.

3. Alexander Hawksmoor

Alexander Hawksmoor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Miss Nile For example, this is mog's scene status plugin. I can customise it and make it look as beautiful as I can,but the one thing it lacks is how much it offers. If you compare it to yanfly's status plugin, it offers you extra scenes for parameters, state resistance and so forth, where as this is all you get with Mog's. So once again, there's alot of free space in between the boxes and the bust which means once again, I'll probably hire a scripter to either make an extension to this plugin so I can fill something in that gap, or have them make an extension scene like with yanfly's plugin.And I know about the information bit at the bottom, I'll do it later XD Example1.png
    Just incase anyone is wondering, no I'm not Mog bashing lol.

4. gigaswardblade

gigaswardblade narcissistic narcoleptic

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lemme guess, make it smaller?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @gigaswardblade Yep, you guessed it. Pull the houses nearer together. Also bear in mind that the extra detail you put in the left bottom corner won't be visible to the player, so it's wasted. I can't work out what it's meant to be, but you've used the same thing top right and it goes straight up a vertical cliff.

Some specifics, but at that scale I'm not sure what the smaller details are.
    The building with the tower goes right against the cliff wall. People rarely build like that, so I suggest it comes a tile or so down. The same with buildings that have no space between them and the trees. People would have had to cut down more trees so that they had the space to build the walls.
    You have no chimneys. How do people heat their homes without central heating? I am assuming that they don't have it, because how would they get the fuel there?
    I would suggest breaking up the line of the cliff. To have such a straight, undeviating cliff looks poor.
    Forests don't go from zero to 100% infill immediately. Try taking a few out to make little glades (the player doesn't need to be able to access them) to add some visual interest.
    At the moment your stairs are totally vertical, like a ladder, not like steps. To get round that, use a corner piece either side, put in an edge piece next, so that you have an inverted U. Take your steps to the top of that, and now you have steps with more tiles than the cliffs, giving the impression that they slope a bit.

Canini likes this.
  6. Skyquake

Skyquake Villager

First Language:
    Romanian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @gigaswardblade My suggestion would be, if you really wanna use those roofs, don't use them as standalone ones.Something like what I did in the next picture. Either make another floor for the house on top of it, or leave some space as you would have a terrace.
    house.jpg
    If you know photoshop you can use the skew option to make the standard vertical RTP roofs look diagonal. Here's a tutorial https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...-editing-for-dummies-with-photoshop-cs.51201/

You can also make buildings at a smaller scale. In my opinion VX RTP buildings aren't made for a 1:1 scale. XP RTP was more suited for that. Some houses look more like barns to me if you make them that big. The wooden house at the left also has a huge roof.
    As for the trees, Kes probably means something like this:
    forest.jpg

7. Canini

Canini Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    @gigaswardblade
    Is there some way for the player to enter/see the forested part of the map? What is the purpose of the area down to the left? I think the basic design is nice but it seems like the map is mainly taken up with trees. The same effect with thick woods could still be created on a smaller area.

8. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ill be completely honest here, i have no idea how to fix it. can someone else take what i did and apply all that stuff to it? i am horrible at making any kind of setting at all. it would make my headache a little less painful. just take the map i made and re create it with all the stuff that everyone has said to change in it.

9. mlogan

mlogan I am not sir, mr., dude or bro

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gigaswardblade I actually was just coming to post a sample map with some things pointed out already and some tips of things I like to do when mapping. So, first, here's the image.

samplemap.png

A personal preference of mine is to lay down an area of longer grass before putting the forest down. It just adds interest and then you can add things like fallen logs, tree stumps, flowers, etc, to add even more details. I forgot to fix it with the building at the top, but I wouldn't have the forest come right up to bulidings. There should be space, unless it's like, a neglected area where the forest has reclaimed it.

I varied up the cliff. I used the A5 cliff tiles for it. If you use the autotile cliff, you will need to use the shift-click method to place everything. Again, I used the pencil to randomly draw a squiggly line with the long grass as a guide for placement. If I were to continue working on this map, I would use shift-click to adjust the grass along the base of the cliff to make it look like it grows right up next to it.

For long buildings, use the flat roofs, like the one on the left. Those roof autotiles are not meant to be used long like that and make it appear that the building has an insanely high roof.

With the blue roof building, I used shift click to just vary up the shape a bit. And you can see how I brought that big building you had on the lower right down to where you would have had all that expanse of forest that the player would never get to. This reduces unneeded space.

I'd also settle on a standard for the height of one floor of a building. If you want a single story building to be 2 tiles tall, make sure a 2 story building is 4, etc. But, you also need to show this on the face of the building by having two rows of windows or something.

If you're not sure what shift-clicking is, it's a technique used to help circumvent some of the issues using autotiles can present. You can use the right mouse button to click and drag to select a portion of tiles. Then to copy those tiles elsewhere, you hold shift while clicking the left mouse button. Just make sure you are on the pencil mode - anything else will not copy the full selection.

I hope this helps.

Canini and Skyquake like this.
  10. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
    The project is cooming soon

11. gigaswardblade

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hows this?

[​IMG]

i also cant help but find it weird that you guys think that those random scribbles mean something. i did that when i was frustrated about not knowing what to do about making the town look better. i left it there kuz nobody was ever gonna see it.

Attached Files:

12. Skyquake

Skyquake Villager

First Language:
    Romanian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @gigaswardblade Much, much better! I still have some suggestions though. Your houses could get some more windows and you should stick to either 1 square window or 2 squares window not both. Those roofs are still weird to me. I have yet to see a house with a flat roof and a border around it. You can also add some more detail on the green area (flowers, rocks, bushes etc.). Finally you can try making some clearings in that dense forest like Kes said. At least in the portion that can be seen by the player.

Canini likes this.
  13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @gigaswardblade Consider the house top right. The trees go right up to the very walls of the house. Please put at least one tile of grass between the trees and the sides and back of the house so that light can get it. Who has trees touching every inch of 3 walls of their house? The same applies to the other 2 houses on that level, though to a slightly lower extent.

14. Canini

Canini Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    @RocketKnight

Looks great! Very beautful artstyle. It would be great to see it in motion, I feel the main character may look a little bit rigid in comparision to the naturalistic and detailed environment.

Well, usually stuff like that is there for a reason. Not that it will bog down your game or anything but it does take up more resources for no reason.

15. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran

First Language:
    English

There will be voice over material added near the beginning. I view that as the final layer and would like to finalize the other portions before adding this.

Any critiques are welcome, even if its taking a huge dump on any portion of the trailer.

Thank you in advance,

GEA

Marquise* likes this.
  16. mlogan

mlogan I am not sir, mr., dude or bro

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Grunwave I've merged your post with this one.

17. KDS

KDS Swaglord

First Language:
    Swedish
    Just finnished a cave map for a cutscene i have been working on. Let me know what you think :)

Edit: The picture being very dark was a small misstake I made , on my screen it looked just as it should , but I have special settings which explains the quality you guys saw lol.

Ps: It looks WAAAY better in motion, with smoke emanating from the lava , small fiery particles flying around and a tiny Haze animation that makes the cave feel very hot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 4:32 AM
  18. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades Villager

First Language:
    English
    @Alexander Hawksmoor: Really nice looking menu! I love the character portrait, is that an original?

@KDS: I really love the detail; my only criticism is how dark some of the cave is. It took me a minute to realize there was a character sprite at the bottom of the screen.

Here's an early build of a project I've been working on. First few weeks were spent getting the movement mechanics down; now I'm moving onto map design. Any feedback is welcome!

19. A-Moonless-Night

A-Moonless-Night WINTER IS COMING

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Ace of Spades Wow, that looks very cool! I can only imagine how much work that must have been.

20. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ace of Spades - That is dope as hell.
    @KDS - I like it, very atmospheric. I think it's a tad too dark, though - took me a sec to find the character.

Main stage of a theatre level where you perform in a play (which is set on a beach).
    [​IMG]

Chaos Avian and KDS like this.