Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The boys should also have toilets. They're usually half and half.

I quite like that. Looks sizeable for a 500-700 kid school.

Marquise* and atoms like this.
  2. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't exactly go into mens bathrooms, but I don't think urinals are in stalls usually. Also they need toilets too.

Marquise* and Finnuval like this.
  3. CheekyChelldos

CheekyChelldos NPC Member

New York, but not the part you're thinking of
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Awesome! yeah that looks pretty good to me :)
    maybe you could just move down the rows of tables by one so theres more room to move? other wise thats cool

Pamela_Rooseveth likes this.
  4. Pamela_Rooseveth

Pamela_Rooseveth Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, I didn't even think about that. :kaoswt2:
    But you are right, I will fix that, even if it's not that important.

Marquise* and Ryisunique like this.
  5. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Pamela_Rooseveth The cafeteria/canteen : I would move the two lower tables on either sides to be level with the central ones (as is more common in RL and looks less chaotic) leaving a larger space between the top tables and the lower ones as a walk-way. I'm also missing trash-cans in the bottom part of the room if you're aiming for realism ;) Other then that it looks pretty convincing.

As for the restrooms : The girl's looks fine (yet missing a bin). The boy's is as some already mentioned : urinals are usually not in stalls (they may or may not have a partition though) and they would also need toilets not just urinals. about 50% of each'll do fine. I would also consider using tiles as a floor as in RL.

6. mylafter

mylafter Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Pamela_Rooseveth They look great. I agree when everyone says, boys' restrooms have less stalls for their toilets. Also, growing up in a jungle high school I can definitely vouch that School boys' restrooms are NEVER clean! They've always grossed me out so much to the point where I almost considered using the girls'. So maybe adding in some trash on the ground in the boys' room will make the map feel even more alive. But other than that, it looks cute!

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Pamela_Rooseveth I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. I do not think that you should have a staggered wall at the bottom of the canteen map. Buildings are very seldom constructed like that (just think of what you'd have to have on the other side to conform with the shape) and schools are fairly utilitarian in their design. I know that it can be good to avoid box shaped rooms - but only where that is an appropriate choice. I don't believe that is the case here.

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Nicke

Nicke Fortune seeker Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right now I've been working on a previous map and improving it. I feel like this version is a better one:
    [​IMG]

9. CheekyChelldos

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I agree. Save that for more elegant builds. I imagined my own example continuing on for maybe one more row and then having 2 entrance/exits in the blank space between the tables.
    Consider how the player will move through the space. its much better to have open space at an entrance than be walking straight into a long table and have to walk all the way around. Entrances should never be blocked off like that except in some specific case. Thanks for pointing that out Kes!

10. Blackwolf89

Blackwolf89 Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finished my first castle-map today. still missing are details like banners, decorations, etc. but i would be interested, what you guys think about the general design of the map, before I go into details. thank you! :)

https://ibb.co/THTzFPn
    [​IMG]

11. CheekyChelldos

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think the colors and the style of it is pretty solid, but I'm confused on why its so asymmetrical? It seems like its on purpose, but is there some story reason or anything? because otherwise it just seems odd. Castle forts and big stone walls like that are usually quite planned out so its weird so see one so "messy." maybe just make it more square and have the gate line up.
    Besides that, I'd suggest either making the castle and walls a lot bigger, or making the buildings on the ground smaller. possibly both, because that tall house on the right looks like its about 2/3rds the size of the entire castle, and I'm assuming thats not quite accurate. The castle should be the centerpiece of the map. A big stone castle usually towers over little houses and taverns and stuff like that.
    Also, you should mix up your color pallets a bit. the castle itself can all be stone, but maybe the smaller buildings can have some wood or plants around them. That also makes the castle stand out.

Again, im quite new, so please correct me if im wrong!
    edit: also the two towers at the bottom are different styles and its driving me mad lmaoo

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Pamela_Rooseveth likes this.
  12. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with CheekyChelldos that the shape looks weird. But I'd move in the cliff at the left side to make it more realistic that the walls are shaped the way they are rather than make it more square.
    Also yeah that one house is really tall, like, it goes over the walls. That's not very good from a defensive standpoint since it's, right next to the walls. And 8 (9?) tiles is a bit much anyway imo unless you're planning on it having like, 4 floors. Which I don't think you're going for with those windows.
    The size of the main building seems fine to me though, i've been on a historical-architecture-youtube bingewatch for a bit and iirc the walls and everything in them is the castle, and iirc the main building wasn't actually all that large all the time in the medieval period....
    Though if this is supposed to be where the king lives or something, you might wanna make it a bit bigger...

Edit: ...I dunno why I wrote this much? Maybe all those videos are getting to me a bit much lol.
    Edit2: (The white tower of London was one of the biggest castles in the early/mid medieval period iirc was only 4 floors high. And only had 1 single room for the king and his family.
    Here's a video talking about it, and also about smaller castles and what was in them; and Imma stop making edits to this post now byeee!

13. CheekyChelldos

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You're right about the size of the building in real life, I was thinking more of the fantasy, RPGs castles i've seen. Its up to OP I suppose.

Elissiaro likes this.
  14. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Screenshots of game I'm helping make. I've put a base saturation to run for each map. Wanting to see if some advice can be given to help spruce up our color scheme and if you have any techniques that could benefit any of the maps below. Thanks

**Note that we are aiming for a FFIII - FFV look with sharper tilesets. So we cannot get too carried away with parallax and lighting unless in cutscenes. Later in game stages/maps would be more appropriate for that style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. miani

miani Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    The overall tinting is very nice, I like of this low saturation scheme, it's perfect in my opinion.

All the maps are very pleasing, the balance between details and empty space is a good point.

I don't like the use of the "editor shadow" in some places, I think you want that clean aspect without much lighting and shadow effects, but it would be better to use some pictures here and there with smooth shadow transitions.

16. Pamela_Rooseveth

Pamela_Rooseveth Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with @miani , these maps are amazing! The use of the "editor shadow" looks a bit weird, though. But they are great.

17. Blackwolf89

Blackwolf89 Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    to put it in context: this castle is built on a mountain, so the shape of the wall is like that because of the shape of the mountain. (it was quite late last night when I posted, I forgot to mention that and I didn't edit the cliff shapes yet, as Elissario said.). You're right about the "tall building", I wanted to make it 2 floors high, and because I had overall higher walls etc. at first, it looks weird now, because I didn't edit the height of the barracks yet. About the keep, I put it on purpose at the end of the castle, why? Because there its the safest place, it goes down a few hundred meters so its impossible to storm the castle from this side. The floor height of the keep is 3 tiles, so its 3 floors high. You think thats too high? :) I could certainly make it smaller. But I wanted the keep to stand out. However, the "inner" wall, I will make square, because there is no reason to make it assymmetrical.

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Edit:

Yes, I did the 2 towers on the front on purpose differently ;)

Also: I will increase the height of the walls and tower by 1-2 tiles, possibly also the height of the keep, and decrease the height of the barracks drastically, then I will start with the details, such as shadows, lightning, decorations, etc. Then each building should look differently. :) I used stone walls on purpose for the castle buildings, because wooden buidings burn easily. :)

18. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Switz Is it random battles? It sounds like it will be random battles from the FFV comment, but still just asking because the cave and dungeon temple maps are a bit narrow if it's going to be on-screen encounters.

19. CircleDrain

CircleDrain Villager Member

First Language:
    german
    I upgraded my old Screenshot a bit.
    [​IMG]

And I made a new Map. A old foggy bathroom.
    [​IMG]

Marquise* likes this.
  20. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @miani and @Pamela_Rooseveth

Thank you for replying. I'm relieved the saturation is not off-putting or out of place for the type of game/look we are going for.

That is a great recommendation on the shadowing and will definitely make those changes. I had no idea it was that out of place so great to know.

Please if anyone sees anything else or any other techniques that can be used, we would be very grateful

@atoms Random battles all the way of course. We have lowered encounter rates a lot to promote searching every nook and cranny without wanting to bash your head on your desk.

Not to get off topic, but in your opinion, do you feel on screen enemies is held in high enough esteem to implent it. We have some scenerio scenes where if caught or touched a battle initiates, but wondering if it's a popular enough item to increase times we use on screen enemies.

atoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.