Zyphli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kvothe The effects work very well. The effect as you move through the different light sources are very natural, to the point I didn't really notice them the first time because it just looked right. And with that background music, I was just feeling the mood of the setting.

@Davekron I'm glad to see what others are doing with new resources from @Jesse - PVGames. I do have to agree with the previous comment that the sunbeams overpower it, and actually distract from seeing what is actually a nice map.

So far, I have been playing more with the buildings, and not so much the cliffs. I have so much love for these new resources.

Outside The House

Built with lots of layers being changed out through player touch events using @Galv 's layers plugin.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Zyphli - I am glad you are enjoying the resources! You have done some great things with them :)

Question though, why do the characters (the sitting lady and the shirtless guy) look so blurry? Also, looks like some of the objects are a bit blurry, too (which I know all of these things are not, so maybe some sort of editing made them blurry, or perhaps image compression or something?)

And a minor bit of feedback: Since you are already using Galv's layer plugin, why not use that for the water layer too and animate it? If you use two layers of the water, one on the bottom moving one direction, and a second layer atop that one one moving in another and at a lower opacity, you can create a really neat moving water effect. I think you know how to do that since you already have the clouds moving :)

Zyphli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for pointing out the blurriness. I had image compression set to max in the GIMP exports, that was making them blurry. Wasn't really noticeable in game on my small laptop.
- Actually, I re-exported with no compression, and no change. But when I re-downloaded from Web, it had been converted to jpg, and comparing the two, the web copy is more blurry than what I originally exported to imgur.

I hadn't done anything I liked for animating the water yet. I'll go try that out. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Zyphli I just looked at the settings I used for water in The Last Journey, maybe give them a try and see if you like the effect?

LAYER 0 PVWater -0.25 0 255 0 0 0 0
LAYER 1 PVWater 0.25 .25 80 0 0 0 0

Zyphli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks @Jesse - PVGames , I love it.
Including a quick clip of the results for anyone that wants to see the effect.

Nimblefizz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, first time posting as I've been lurking around these forums for quite some time and soaking in all the terrific knowledge, but never actually jumping in...here goes!

This is a map for a Weekly Game Jam project I'm working on this week. The theme is "Strange Garden". All the assets are from incredible artists like Cyanide, PandaMaru, and others. There's an interior house map as well. The game will of course have full credit to all the artists and will be free to play. It's basically a thematic/narrative-driven game with a small farming system. It's due in like, uh, a couple days, so cross your fingers that I finish in time!!

D.L. Yomegami

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
After 7 hecking tries at this world map, I think I have something I'm fairly satisfied with:
upload_2019-5-21_12-20-20.png

Some more backstory: each of the four dungeons (ruined castle, forest, desert, and mountain) host one of the world's four crystals, built by the local civilization to beat back the flood that ruined the world to begin with. In light of that, I tried to place the dungeons so that each of the four crystals covered a reasonable part of the world. The forest and ruins look a little close to each other, but for the latter the big tree is the entrance, while I imagine the actual crystal is somewhere in the forest's bottom-left part.

Those dirt mountains surrounding the forest are "fake" mountains, created when the flood uprooted all that dirt and dumped it elsewhere. I imagine something similar happened with those rock hills in the mountain area and those hills between the temple area, the hills behind the temple, and the hills between the temple and the city.

Once again this is more a layout thing than anything else. Mostly putting this here for some last-minute feedback before moving on to the graphics editing part of things.

Apologies for not commenting on anything else anyone's posted up until now; I just can't think of anything to say other than a generic, unhelpful "looks good, guis!!!1"

miani

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
After 7 hecking tries at this world map, I think I have something I'm fairly satisfied with:
I think it's fine but I feel that you need more empty space, all the locations are very close to each other. Usually you want the player to travel a bit before reaching in a new place of the world map.

---------------------------

edits-escada.gif

I'm making a 3 floors apartments building but Pop Horror only comes with a front side ladder, so I made some edits in the original tiles and tried to make everything fit together.

Nimblefizz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'm making a 3 floors apartments building but Pop Horror only comes with a front side ladder, so I made some edits in the original tiles and tried to make everything fit together.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE this. The color palette is great and the tiles look fantastic.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there people, long time without posting anything again, been really busy learning how to code and recently started experimenting with javascript, so im making an old school dungeon crawler/pen and paper rpg system and its a lot of fun!
Think of dwarf fortress + wizardry.

Nimblefizz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there people, long time without posting anything again, been really busy learning how to code and recently started experimenting with javascript, so im making an old school dungeon crawler/pen and paper rpg system and its a lot of fun!
Think of dwarf fortress + wizardry.
Are you making this in MV? This looks absolutely incredible. The customization is stunning.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nimblefizz yeah on MV, the amount of stuff you can do is amazing, though i still lack a lot of knowledge about how rpg maker handles things so i still need to mix my coding with light eventing, but yeah you can do pretty much anything you want!

dsiver144

Peaceful Days Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
After a long time not working on my own project. Today, I have the chance to work on it again. Sucessfully upgrading the resolution to 1080p but still remains a good FPS. (Using RGD)
This is a gameplay video of my game.

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@dsiver144 This thread is not for giving feedback on aspects of game play. It is concerned solely with the visuals. If you don't already have a game thread, I suggest you open one in Game Ideas and Prototypes or Games in Development, depending on how far along your game is.

dsiver144

Peaceful Days Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Drifter92 Oh thank you! :D
@Kes I'm so sorry for this mistake. I will consider about your advice.

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@dsiver144 Quick note: In your game when ever you talk with an NPC, there is this beep. I think it will grow annoying fast. Hope this helps.

@Nimblefizz Your map looks nice. But I'm not sure what the dark ish area in the middle is?

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Had to get the snow on the building..
(edits, using Ancient Dungeon Winter Tileset + Fantastic Buildings Medieval)

For compairism, the original building is in the lower left corner of the third picture on its steam website.

I feel like I'd need to add something on the right side of the house.. I tried with more trees but it looked weird.. might play around abit with ambient lights.

EDIT
Put some accents on the floor next to the house, maybe that will do it..

Last edited:

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@miani: eh! Liking that.
@Amarok: heh, gotta love old-school dungeon crawler. I don't know, but I'm very fond of those old, 'clunky' types of gameplay. If you permit me an opinion, I'd say character's art kind of clash with overall style. If you see the font, the GUI and even the background, it looks like a serious, even 'shady' game. Yet character art is bright, even anime-y. Even so, I like them both separately.
@Zyphli: you know what the second pic reminded me of? The Sims 2: Castaway lmao.

MV's RTP heavily bombarded with shaders and bloom to make 'em a bit more interesting. Map made for a "for funsies" game.
Maybe light too bright :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)
In medieval times, a common way to eat food was upon edible plates, which were made of bread, called trenchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fjen