Game & Map Screenshots 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimblefizz

Nimblefizz Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @somenick Thank you! It's tough to tell in the screenshot but it's meant to be dirt/mud, and there's six farming plots that are the lighter brown patches throughout. I actually finished the game for it and it's on itch.io now!

2. Constance

Constance The Fool Member

First Language:
    Uh.. English?
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Made an account just to ask for feedback~

Anyway, first time trying to use parallax mapping here...

This is one small part of a map called Valstein Forest in my game 'Memoria Fantasia'. I'm trying to create an area that the player could use as a camping ground for their party. It also contains a hint on the location of a collectible that will let you access a side quest + optional boss. Pretty sure that it is still missing something. Would also appreciate it if someone can point me to some tree tileset with similar style and size~

Let me know if you had any feedback...
    Just... try to be gentle...

Credit goes to:
    • Avery (Tileset)
    • Cyanide (Tileset)
    • Pandamaru (Tileset)
    • Whtdragon (Tileset)
    • FSM - Woods and Cave (Tileset)
    Valstein Forest - Map 6 (Dawn Light).png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Agarest, Lost_Soul, Oswald and 6 others like this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Constance Your image is not working. It doesn't show up here and when I click the 'view image' option, it takes me to an error page.

4. thepsyche

thepsyche Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi everyone.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a forest map I'm working on feel more "enclosed". This, at least for me, is trickier than it sounds.

My inspiration was the Evil Forest from FF9, however it didn't really turn out that way. I admit I dropped the ball with geographic design, and perhaps my tree placement was not selective and carefully thought through enough. The same may be true for the diversity of the types of trees I've used also. Although the map is very large, you can get a general idea of what it looks like here:

[​IMG]

Ground textures and tree colors have been fleshed out, however nothing else is done yet (no shadows, other visual assets like bushes and flowers, etc).

I digress a bit - let me try and describe my problem.

Often, when playing RPGMaker games that feature forest maps, they use the "tree wall" tiles that align the edges of the forest with a barricade of trees, the foreground leaves of which are visible but quickly fade into black. This creates a very nice forested feel, like you're looking between the trees. Unfortunately - I've tried it with my maps but it just doesn't work with the "rules" of my particular style. Objects and walls have to be real, not pseudo-walls, or it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The alternative is to shroud the corners of the map with clusters of close together trees (which I still may try) but with the amount of space I want the player to utilize on this particular map, the becomes very impractical. Also, I didn't want the trees that are currently on the map to be too close together, lest the player can't figure out where they are or where they're going.

Ideally, I'm looking for some kind of overlay / parallax option that isn't just a picture stuck on top of the gameplay that frames the player within much bigger / closer trees and remains stationary.

I played Octopath Traveler recently, and although from a completely different perspective, I really liked the effect of the almost transparent foreground trees in the forests that makes the player feel like they're really surrounded by the forest. I'm striving to find an alternative here, and I'm just not really happy with what I've got. It still feels like we can see the top of the forest and it's not particularly dense or large.

Sorry for waffling. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @thepsyche For a more enclosed feel having at least some more tree parts on the edges is almost a must I think, especially in the bottom but have you considered playing around with the lighting yet? Making it all a bit darker and more shaded can also do a lot in giving that enclosed feel to a place, more so if you throw in the odd lighter area where the sun does hit.

6. thepsyche

thepsyche Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you @Finnuval

No lighting and shadows yet, I've deliberately held off but perhaps it's inevitable that I'll need to mess with that first before knowing what the whole thing will look like.

The problem with adding tree parts to the edges, is that the map is huge, and I already have added trees edges to the sides. However, the player spends most of their time on the map somewhere in the middle - and most of the middle is utilized for the player to be able to walk on. If I'd had better foresight, perhaps I would have limited where the player could go a bit more.

Finnuval likes this.
  7. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @thepsyche hmm yeah with that being the case I think Lighting is your only option left (short of redoing the whole thing).

Thing is there is no real way of faking a dense forest without making it dense. A lot of walk room means a more open forest. Only thing you can do is fiddle with the atmosphere and thats done with the lighting.

Sorry if that isn't real helpful :)

8. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @thepsyche
    The best way to make a forest feel enclosed imo is to use those tree autotiles where you only see the edges of the leaves and the rest is black, or something similar, and to make it actually enclosed. From the pic, your forest is pretty open.

Otherwise I think the easiest thing to do is to have a black overlay image that's transparent in the middle, like some games do in caves.

9. ekhartpl

ekhartpl Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not exactly a screenshot, but I pretty much finished character creation in my project. There still will be a few tweaks to it, and I have to modify few things, ie. you can see arrows with Q and W on them, which change the "pages" of description from stats to starting equipment. While the arrows work, I haven't decided on starting equipment for different attributes so they're currently blank. Also I'll have to change the texture on the buttons (Gender/Attribute/etc), because it doesn't look too well imo.

10. DarlesLSF

DarlesLSF Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Starting a new project on rm2k:
    [​IMG]

Lycanimuss, Marquise* and atoms like this.
  11. AsuranFish

AsuranFish Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I posted a far less completed version of this a while back - but... progress!

This is actually four separate maps, but one of my goals is to have all my maps "fit" together. Not using an actual world map, except as a reference to where stuff should go.

Kurch_6-9-19.png

Bottom Half, Left Third: Starting Village
    Bottom Half, Middle Third: First Field area you can explore.
    Top Half, Middle Third: This is an area that requires a quest item to access. Here, you fight... the Rabbit from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail... and it's a brutal, optional fight...
    Entire Right Third: Second Field area, it's a mountain with a camp near the base, so you can rest/buy stuff. Caves near the top lead to the first dungeon.

Maps need further decorating, but are pretty much done structurally, aside from some minor touchups.

Chaos Avian, atoms, Henryetha and 3 others like this.
  12. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @AsuranFish As a whole it does seem to fit together as you intend though the beach areas (at least i think that's what they are) seem a bit out of place because the transition is a little to harsh, imo.
    I would suggest you also post the individual maps though so you can get good feedback on them too (unless you're not looking for that of course)

13. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lycanimuss, atoms and Finnuval like this.
  14. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mathmaster74 okay so I can see a few things not 'right' with this map...
    62222730_347865655925805_7796142868111818752_n.jpg

Green circle : I would move this tree down a bit, it sticks out a bit weird to me.
    Puple & dark purple : the shadows don't match... some go East while others fall more North East which gives a weird overall visual. (okay I might be the only one that thinks this)
    Red : these houses are way to small in comparison with the other buildings and their angle is to symmetrical and sharp, imo.

Also the maps is pretty dayum empty. It could do with a lot more detailing especially in the grassy areas and around the edges of the map. Oh and the outhouse needs to be moved a bit to the back of the house, no one wants one of those near their front door ;)

On the positive side : I like your town lay-out with most of the buildings centered around the fountain and the little bridge and the dirt where ppl walk though i think you could ad some more of that as there are still paths ppl would logically take that have no wear & tear now.

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  15. CheekyChelldos

CheekyChelldos NPC Member

New York, but not the part you're thinking of
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So I think im just about finished with my magicshop/apothecary, does anyone have any thoughts? I'm especially not sure about the shadows. theres the ground floor shop, the upstairs living area, and the garden.

Attached Files:

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  16. Constance

Constance The Fool Member

First Language:
    Uh.. English?
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @CheekyChelldos This is just my personal opinion, so feel free to ignore it~
    La la la~.png

The one in the red rectangle is where I found the shadows to be weird. It doesn't really correspond with the light source that you put in the room. I find the placement of the object in the blue rectangle to be... hmm... out of place? It also somewhat limits the space for the player to move. I think it is better to remove it entirely. Also, I think it would be better if you put some windows on the second floor as well. Unless there are some side windows that won't show in the map. If there are, then the placement of the shadow will be different altogether.

I'll edit my post later and try to go into more detail once I got home...

Agarest, Lost_Soul, Oswald and 4 others like this.
  17. CheekyChelldos

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    thank you, I think I may replace the stone candle holders with windows. I'll move some things around and update

edit: is there any trick to making a side window? im trying different things but nothing looks right

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  18. CheekyChelldos

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    how's this?

Attached Files:

Marquise* likes this.
  19. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @CheekyChelldos I'd remove the shadows on the walls in the small corridor. They look odd.
    The rest looks fine, as far as the shadow tool can go.

20. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just wanted to post the new title screen for the game I'm working on:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.