Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm, I don't think I see any issue then! Be a sweetheart and get us a char builder demo soonish? :biggrin: :wub :wub
Oh, if it's just the char builder is enough for a demo, then I could whip that up in like a week! I'm going to make that my new near-term goal, lol.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've long thought that map-making is the most underappreciated art in the world of RPG Maker. Lately I have been trying out new ideas for how maps might look, just to see if I can land on a style that helps make up for my lack of natural ability as far as map-making goes. To that end, I'll post a few attempts here, and I would love to see others post their maps if they are willing to share.

1645987602220.png
1645987685999.png

1645987730238.png

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I LOVE how you did the church map! The transition from stone wall up to arch ceiling is fantastic, and I love the subtle color variations of the floor too. Definitely my favorite of these three!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks, that's probably my favorite experiment so far too -- will try other room types with that technique. Maybe a library?

Lunesis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not really a confident mapper, but once I get started with one element it seems like the others sort of fall into place. Sometimes the best motivation is knowing that you will need to do it eventually, and even though it might not be perfect it's better than nothing and can always be revised later.

1645989687766.png1645989732116.png1645989773350.png1645989804896.png1645989828300.png1645989856478.png

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Every now and then, I make a random map just because I want to :3
This has been lying around as wip forever, but today I tied the loose ends up^^
Castle_Avery.png
Resources by: Avery, Candacis, Guardinthena, Hiddeone, PandaMaru, Vix90, Wecoc
All avaiable on this board ;3

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
A library would be incredible with a technique like that! Anything that benefits from the grandeur of a vaulted ceiling--a castle throne room or great hall, perhaps? Or maybe in a wood building with a loft on one side and open rafters around a grand fireplace on the other?
I suppose it might lose its dramatic punch if it appeared in too many places, but brainstorming is great fun.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1645993718059.png

This is a great example of a little thing that I would never think to do that produces a great result! And in general I really like the sense of depth and separateness in the rooms of your buildings -- thank you for sharing! Also, your second map has such a natural feel in the way the beaches have different depth depending on their relative locations -- adds so much realism with such a small detail.

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Avery

Looks great!

I do notice the top of the stone platform tiles blend in with surface ones. I would suggest editing the top to have a stronger border to help differentiate the different levels on the top sides.

HexMozart88

One of these days...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looking really nice, all of you. I'm pretty bad at filling up my maps. My only real saving grace is nice effects and that I can hand draw a lot of stuff.

eienno house.png
This is one of my favourite maps, using entirely XP graphics with my personal touch.

Screenshot (778).png
Just threw in a library map because the lighting looked cool, LOL.

Screenshot (1260).png
This one is entirely drawn by me, excluding the character.

antega34

Anthony
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone, looking for feedback on my battle screen. I know its a lil empty, planning on potentially adding more, that aside I'm having trouble deciding what looks better as far as the battle background. Does using a map as a background work better or using artwork battlebacks to go with the chibi style?

Attached photos of the two (first pic is with the default rtp, second is the custom map).

Credit: Yota's Pop Fantasy DLC, Visustella Tilesets, Avery Iconset, MV + MZ RTP

PS: I believe this was the correct place to post since its not resources but battle feedback, If i am wrong please let me know!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.png
    2.png
    717.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

tammie

7 years with RM | ️‍⚧️
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone, looking for feedback on my battle screen. I know its a lil empty, planning on potentially adding more, that aside I'm having trouble deciding what looks better as far as the battle background. Does using a map as a background work better or using artwork battlebacks to go with the chibi style?

Attached photos of the two (first pic is with the default rtp, second is the custom map).

Credit: Yota's Pop Fantasy DLC, Visustella Tilesets, Avery Iconset, MV + MZ RTP

PS: I believe this was the correct place to post since its not resources but battle feedback, If i am wrong please let me know!
I prefer the first

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@antega34, I usually don't like maps as battlebacks, I'm more into proper artwork battlebacks... BUT, your map battleback fits soooo well! :wub I dunno if it fits better than the artwork battleback, but if ya wanted to stick with maps as battlebacks, ya covered! :kaoluv:

@StrawberryFlower, mebbe put some accumulated junk in the main factory area, esp. to the right? I got zero idea about what all a peanut butter factory s'posta have, and I know a neat and tidy place wudn't have junk, but, like, for the sake of a nicer map, maybe summat to fill up the area around the conveyors a bit? :kaoswt:

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm finally finished with all the maps for the first town and I wanted to show it off a bit. It took me a long time, but I think it was worth the work.
This is just one room of several, but it's the one I spend the most time on. What do you think?

View attachment 218633
Looking realy good.
Only 'critisism' I have is it lacks shading on the floor from the upper balcony so I'd personally pull the floor shading a little into the room to create that extra sense of depth.

Other then that it's really good. Lot of work went into it and it shows :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

oneOfUs.jpg
Streaming more Poppet Quest game even in about 12 minutes.
Some dog owners really impress me. I'm pushing 2-3 metric tons of garbage containers that destroy everything they hit. What do you think is going to happen to your tiny dog when I run it over? And why are you crossing my path to argue with me? Have you never been hit by 200kgs of garbage?

Lesson for you folks. Never mess with an angry garbage container. Or its driver.
I didn't dispose of a file properly and now my whole game won't start: I get a script error in the Scene Manager stage of game launch. What to do? Transfer it all to a new project? That's going to be tedious. Fortunately I am only nine workdays into it.
>< IMGUR!!!! *clenches fist*
I swear it looked better in my head. But this ain't bad. Had to experiment to make the characters stand out and not blend too much with the background.

Also, before anyone say this. Yes, she is holding a winrar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
filfes