MadRamDesigns

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Oddball I didn't even notice the alter until you said there was one.
Part of the problem is that the blood is just a flat floating smear, it doesn't conform to the surfaces.
Try making the blood on the top surface slighting lighter than the side.
I'd also use a different floor tile, the checkered pattern is a bit busy and pulls attention away from the main elements of the scene.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Oddball It's not so much the quantity of blood that is a problem, it's just that it doesn't look realistic. It looks like a splodge that has been laid on top, rather than blood which has been spilt on the flat surface and then run down the vertical one. Even more so with the pillar (??? not sure what it is) that is in front. Maybe if someone had thrown a bucket of blood at it, it might have gone over to the side without fully running down, but otherwise there is no way that such an even distribution in those directions could have happened. If I have time, I'll do a quick edit to show what I mean.

EDIT
Just seen your second shot. Roots of what?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Oddball tbh, I would never have guessed and even though you've now told me I still don't see a tree. I think you need to find different tiles. Avery made some nice ones for Ace, but I don't know if she redid them for MV.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Oddball - it reminds me of early final fantasy towns. I like it. Think it's good use of the RTP, though of course the default RTP tends to be rather blocky (did you purposely you use the A5 tile for the dirt path, instead of the A2 tile, to give it a more retro style?). The brown shrub tiles you use on the top left kind of sticks out for me, not sure if that's the best way to use them.

MadRamDesigns

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kouske, the scene is too dark to appreciate any creepy props one might see.

@Oddball, it does have a tranquil laid back vibe to it.
As for harmony, I guess it depends on how the relationship between people and environment is explained in game. My impression would be that unless they have some "Giving Tree" arrangement they used a lot of wood to build stuff.

World building considerations: What's the purpose for the surrounding fence? If they don't keep livestock, is it for protection from outside forces, animals, etc? Is it just a map framing device?
Why cut trees down to make fence when they could instead nurture dense tree lines, and/or stone walls. Similar to their buildings, use more stone in construction, or perhaps even have structures built into the cliff face?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finally getting into my remake of Storm Twins. Was playing with some different tilesets, Celiannas ancient dungeons and Candacis Orc military tiles, because I needed something that would make my village more barbarian like as it is populated by Cannibal Cattai, a race of dragonlike beings that have a taste for only flesh.
I'm rather enjoying getting back into mapping. Love mapping so much, and really enjoying going back to update an old unfinished game!

Attachments

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok. Revision
Edit: After posting this, i added more trees around the river, I was like "Oh crap! flooding!"

Map.png

Last edited:

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Okay, first things first, it's far too large. You could make a map 1/4 of the size and still have everything in it that you have in the current one. The paths are missing the proper edting. There are dead bushes in the river. The cliffs are all straight lines. With the chimney, I'd recommend having a small cliff that's up higher. The fence makes no sense for existing since it seems not at all like a town. Is there really enough people living there to require a smithy, inn and item shop? There's only three houses.

I recommend taking a look at some other towns people have made. Googling 'rpgmaker town map' will come up with all kinds of results for you to look at. Also, here's a useful video.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Ksi
1. Map too large? I'll add more gardens
2. Paths are missing editing? What do you mean?
3. The "Dead bushes" were supposed to be aquatic plants. It's the grass-like tile with the feathery tops. You think i should remove them? What should i put in it's place? The stream looks empty without them
Dead bush.png
4. I agree with you on the cliffs
5. The fence doesn't make sense? If i add a large garden it could look like a farm. Then it would make sense
6. I could make the town a series of tunnles underground and the three "houses" could be entrances to those tunnles. I only made maps for the Shop, the Smithy and the INN so far anyway

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Oddball

I agree with @Ksi , your map is too large. If making town area I always limit myself to a 20x20 map. (If you look at the map above yours it’s one of mine and 20x20.) I have a lot in there but it isn’t overcrowded, and if a player walked in they could see where everything in the area is pretty quick.

with your map it’s very spread out, and speaking from a players POV I wouldn’t want to be traipsing all over the place to reach the other side of the town. I would suggest you make your map size smaller instead of trying to fill dead space.

that’s my two cents anyway!

Kentaro_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
@MadRamDesigns
It's not too dark in the game . Unfortunately this comes from the screenshot quality.
But we can use a Flashlight ingame, so it's no problem.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Happy Friday y'all. I have been working on some party and weapons interfaces and menus today as a byproduct of working on the combat system. I'm to the point of combat so it was time to install the guns... Still some bugs too v_v But it's all in its infancy right now.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do gifs count? :ahappy:

These are from Chapter III of my game, which I've just announced as in development (now that the racing sub-game is practically finished, so I can be sure it's do-able). It's mostly done with regular eventing, though Blizzard's UltraMode7 plugin helps a lot!

There's more info here if anyone's interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...
How do you do when you want to work on projects but the game companies make so many games available for free because of the quarantine?
Kes
I have just stepped down from being a Mod, so please don't send me any more pm's with Mod questions. Thanks
Made a brief video showcasing early game play... Got a copyright claim by BIG UP! (https://big-up.style/) for using music I bought from here (Future Steam Punk Pack). Now I wonder if I should strip any purchased music from here out of my game. :LZSskeptic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elender