Game & Map Screenshots 11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Swafer

Swafer Gremlin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is my world map concept

(to those who can't see it, you would have to have your mouse click on the line until it changes to like a pointer. I do not know why the picture is acting up. My apologies for the inconvenience)

I'm still thinking of the purpose of the islands would be specifically. but all I know is that the floating island is where the ruler is.
    And you can take a boat or train to get to each island.

Sunjean and Marquise* like this.
  2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Archeia o_O More than that and it would be almost a photography. Neat~!

@Swafer I like it. Tsk tsk that site posting your pics that way XD

Archeia likes this.
  3. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    sarah.jpg

Sarah tells the heroes about her vision.

4. overlordmikey

overlordmikey BroCo. Gaming Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I'm trying to perfect my Parallax Mapping. The game I'm making is supposed to have a pretty simplistic style choice (like the houses as you can see in the picture), but I was having issues with the shadow on normal trees - for some reason one half of the trees shadow was darker than the other half. Anywho I had this cute idea where instead of the traditional tree I'd just have tree tops hang over you that you can walk through if they're transparent (which also leads to potential for hidden paths).
    What do you think of this simple map - particularly the trees. (it's not complete, I haven't added flowers and such yet).

Edit: Deleted the thumbnail.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  5. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Merging with Game & Map Screenshots thread.

@overlordmikey Personally I don't see a reason to parallax map that simple of a map. Because of how the trees are shaded, it looks less like tree tops to me and more like there are fields of soybeans around the house, so I think if you want to use that method you'll need to find a different tree to use.

6. overlordmikey

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm mostly just practicing parralax-ing so yeah it's not super needed for everything except maybe making the non-standard lake (which looks quite nice in it's in game form with water).
    Thanks - I'll find a better tree top.

Edit: Although now if I ever want to I guess I can repeat this method to create fields of soybeans. ^_^

Marquise* likes this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @overlordmikey I think you might want to look again at your path. Grass is worn away only where people actually tread. If you look at how the path meets the house, the shape of it implies that people regualarly miss the door and walk slap into the walls on either side. You need to taper the path so that it only meets the door.

overlordmikey likes this.
  8. overlordmikey

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Bah, of course - that was super dopey of me! Thanks. I will take that into account when I'm fixing stuff on my path to perfecting my mapping.
    So it's not perfect yet (lot's of edges to smooth, the path obviously, ect.) but do the trees look better this way?

Edit: Okay I changed the pic to a more updated one that I think looks much better!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  9. Noobk

Noobk Boo-Boo'Da'Foo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Happy Thursday y'all, I hope the coffee was good. I'm more or less just posting a progress screenshot, there are plenty of issues within the screenshot itself, but I have been working towards density with the buildings and it's starting to feel like I finally found something that works within the set itself.

[​IMG]

10. SpicyNoodleStudios

SpicyNoodleStudios Aspiring Vigilante Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Noobk What issues do you see, yourself? It looks pretty good to me, but then again, that's not my main skill.

@overlordmikey Hey, looks good! You could use a little more shading, maybe on the tree trunk itself, to make things appear less flat. Keep it up!

@Tuomo L Wow, it looks amazing. You went all out! I'm not sure what else I could say except, maybe you can decorate a bit more around each of the houses. Could give them each a bit of personality, make them distinct from each other beyond their sign. Other than that, idk, it looks amazing!

Here's a clip of my current combat system progress. Kes has already informed me of the dangers of flashing lights, thank you Kes. Anyone have any other critiques/suggestions? For anything too advanced/artistic, I am hoping to eventually find the assistance of programmers and artists.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  11. Noobk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @SpicyNoodleStudios the general inconsistency with the buildings, the truck is bare bones artistically speaking, lot's more small things that I know are there.

12. SpicyNoodleStudios

SpicyNoodleStudios Aspiring Vigilante Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Noobk You're right, it looked so clean that I didn't even realize that I don't actually know what any of those buildings are.

13. OniLink24

OniLink24 Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone, I am new at this forum. I recently started working on my own game. It is still in early stages. I am not so good in mapping. Maybe you can help me out. Here is a map of a village I am working on. I used the standard RTP from MV.
    Ankar.png

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  14. Noobk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @OniLink24 I would really have to say that's very nice. Rather than critiquing the work, my advice is challenge yourself to take the next step and do small edits to the RTP tileset in a graphics editor, so you can fix some of the imperfections that come with the set. Like pushing the trees up so that they don't line up directly on the cliffs. That would be your first challenge to take on! Very nice work though!

Starbird_Resources likes this.
  15. Starbird_Resources

Starbird_Resources Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just a quick note on how water works. You have a large pond emptying into a small pond via waterfall. How does the waterfall keep flowing? The pond up top lacks a source. You could add a small stream that runs down through the village and then maybe have a bridge over the stream. Then the pond at the bottom also needs an outlet, or else the water would overflow the pond because it is constantly being filled by the waterfall.

If for some reason you don't want a stream running up top that goes into the big pond, you could decide that the pond is fed by a spring, but in that case you might want to indicate it somehow on the map. The little pond below will still need an outlet though.

16. OniLink24

OniLink24 Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Noobk I am glad that you like it. I never seem to be satisfied with my own maps so I am always self-critical. But you are right I should focus on how to build on this foundation and to challenge myself to make this map even better.

@Starbird_Resources I didn't think about it much, I only wanted to have a small pond. I thought it would also look nice to have a little waterfall. And my idea is to let the player enter a little cave behind the waterfall. The water will be flowing inside the cave as well. But you are right, I doesn't make much sense that the large pond emptying in a small pond. I have an idea how to fix this. I think I will transform my little pond to a stream.

And thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate it.

17. Starbird_Resources

Starbird_Resources Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually like the idea of a big pond emptying into a small one without overflowing the small one, but there has to be some reason for it. It looks "unnatural" but there could be a very interesting reason for it in your game. Just make sure that it's not an oversight :)

18. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @OniLink24 persobally I think you should add a stream or river to the top pond and then add an event for you characters when they first go past the waterfall to go

“oh what a pretty waterfall! But that pond is sobsmall how is all that water not flooding the road? Oh! I think I can see a sort of shadow behind there? Wanna investigate?”

or something. Or leav E it as a compl telly secret area and if people comment on how weird your mapping is you could just be like, did you investigate the stars he waterfall and pond? Your loss. You would have gotten an awesome item/weapon/price of armour.

19. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  20. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Lorenze Your image is not visible to me unless I agree to all manner of cookies etc. Could you please upload it via a different site or directly here? I'm sure I'm not the only one who just wants to see what the image is.