overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Welp I think I have made quite a bit of progress in parallax mapping although I am less than satisfied with the trees. I like the foliage effect (I used a lovely tile by whtdragon) but the trees still look kinda awkward.

Also my shading could probably use some work. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like it to be presentable.

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Am I the only person in the world, who almost never likes the own creations?
I want to give an example based on my first town, which uses FSM Town of Beginnings Tiles by REFMAP:

My first version has a lot of empty space:
upload_2019-10-28_9-51-5.png

And my new version now has trees growing out of asphalt just to cover a bit of the empty space:
upload_2019-10-28_9-52-29.png

Filling up empty space while still making it look natural is quite a big task.

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks OK for me, no need more to do. Don't be so harsh for yourself.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You might want to make some changes to the wall below the fence surrounding your upper building some parts are 1 tile high and others 2 tiles high.

Hyouryuu-Na

1/2ded
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new version doesn’t look bad to me. But maybe have trees growing out of the soil?

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do you live in a city where the buildings are side to side with no space inbetween? *Shudders*

It may be that i grew up in a medium sized town (about 150k people) but i feel like if you fill any more space, it will look to crowded and loud. Don't fear empty space. Use empty space strategicly. Empty space in the right places can really accent youur game well

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is a nice image how to use stairs more nicelook, to make them 1x longer depending on the hight of the cliffs.
liket his image, but it also really depends on the user side of view:

stairs.png

there are some dev's, creators that change it maps often, maybe more than 5x :) while people inprove,
so does the maps as well.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BurningOrca 'General Discussion' is never about giving feedback for individual projects, it is meant to be looking at broad themes which affect the making of games in general.

We do, however, have a thread specifically for feedback on maps, and I am merging this thread with that one.

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You might want to make some changes to the wall below the fence surrounding your upper building some parts are 1 tile high and others 2 tiles high.
Does this seem odd, cause I wanted it that way?
@TWings

Do you live in a city where the buildings are side to side with no space inbetween? *Shudders*

@Oddball: It may be that i grew up in a medium sized town (about 150k people) but i feel like if you fill any more space, it will look to crowded and loud. Don't fear empty space. Use empty space strategicly. Empty space in the right places can really accent youur game well
I grew up in a town with just 6 or 7k people, so no the buildings are not side by side with no space in between. I just thought the first version looks a litte boring, but the second version has trees growing out of asphalt, which I tried to avoid in the first version.

@BurningOrca 'General Discussion' is never about giving feedback for individual projects, it is meant to be looking at broad themes which affect the making of games in general.

@Kes: We do, however, have a thread specifically for feedback on maps, and I am merging this thread with that one.
Thank you. It is sometimes hard to find the correct thread for something. Maybe next time I'll start a conversation with you or another moderator and ask beforehand which thread would be correct.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does this seem odd, cause I wanted it that way?
It's physically impossible, so yeah, it's a bit odd when you look at it. You'd need to either scale down the front part of the wall to 1 tile high or scale up the rear part to 2 tiles high to make it right.
But if you like it that way I guess it's fine.

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TWings: I've now cut it down to one.
@ShadowDragon: I've now extended it just a little bit, but not all stairs on all of my maps, because at some of them I thought it looks weird.
And I've shrinked one house in size, because it felt a little ackward.
@Hyouryuu-Na: Using soil instead of the asphalt also seems to not look good on this map. So I sticked with the asphalt. That's a minor problem and I realized that it is a game, so it mustn't be realistic.
upload_2019-10-28_19-44-14.png

@Oddball: I guess my fear of empty space just comes from watching too many BenderWaffles videos. But actually I don't like his maps either as they always contain too many trees in order to close the space.
I've now also looked at a bunch of maps from this thread and realized that they always contain space. Realife towns also contain a lot of space.
So it is nothing I have to worry about and nothing that makes my maps look boring.

Thank you all for your feedback. I got a lot more confident from this. Thank you very much.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the cliff side looks better, but I love the map also in general. Keep up the nice work.

Maybe I play your demo if it comes out (love bugtesting) :D

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@BurningOrca

I think your town looks fine. Remember that you’ll be populating it with NPCs so it’ll get pretty crowded if you had to many buildings and things there.

As to the trees not set in a green area, why not edit them and add a pot below. I’m sure there must be large pots in resources somewhere, people do that all the time in real life so I don’t see why they couldn’t do it in game as well! Or replace the trees with statues or Collins, or something man made that someone in the town has made or something. Some slight tile set editing can work wonders!

Last edited:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tw0Face I like the overall feel of it. The floating head cursor...hmmm I dunno, not my cup-o-tea I guess. It's done well, but not my taste. I would prolly replace it with just a crown or something but that's totally my personal take on it xD Other then that I like the mapping and colors. Only other thing is the mini-map/radar thing ; it could be a little brighter as I didn't even see it at first glance. it kinda falls away to the background.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tw0Face map is oke, road at the right could be low while the intrance is there (if you look at the building) also, horizontal/vertical
roads seems a bit off, but you can try to make a bit more curve in it though.

Im bad at mapping, but I try to inprove to look at other maps to see where I can do better (but im not a pro at it)
because there are so many ways to inprove it.

During that time, I see what I can see and how to build a nice map :)

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Finnuval & @ShadowDragon: Thanks for the feedback.

I adjusted the day-and-night-circle to appear a little brighter. I hope it leads to better visibility. In addition, I gave the cursor a shiny outline.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

1. I finally got around to (attempting) a custom window skin, and soon the color scheme will be customizable by the player as well.
2. Sometimes, there just isn't enough space in the skill description window. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Apparently my brain took a holiday today, so far I've stared blankly at the maker for 3 hours. Duuuuuuuuh.
*Violent ball of 80's TV electricity* "Oww!! Stupid @ImaginaryVillain and his plugin, he didn't say time travel hurts! And why am I naked??"
It was at 3am Pacific May 25 that Skynet was created. And it came in the form of a messenger plugin so powerful it now runs my randomizer and does it better than the randomizer itself did. What have I created? :kaoback:
Found out someone took one of my artist's commissions, edited it and claimed it as their own. Called them out on Twitter, got blocked. Not sure whether to feel irritated or honored.
Im so glad that im into 16/32bit games because i'd never be able to create any assets for something more complex :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allisnone