Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, HUD-time again, I guess. According to what @Finnuval said, I tried to increase the visibility of the HUD. This time I made it completely new to blend more with my system colors. I think it looks slightly better during night time. What do you think?

Yeah, direction indicators are new as well...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I need to test my event animations, music etc. & decided to video it.
Location - one of a series of linked islands on a foggy day (it's always foggy there).
What is being shown - you walk into an outdoor classroom for aspiring magic users.
All character names can be changed by the player, what you see are the defaults.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay so I'm trying to make a mountain pass that starts off slightly snowy and, with each screen change, gets more and more so as the party transitions from the temperate region to the cold northern region. And I hate how it's turning out so far:

The walkable parts should be fine after a bit of fine turning, but any advice for what to put in the "empty" parts that aren't walkable? (the large empty green areas) Caves are easy because I can just black those parts out, and if I was going up the mountain I could just abuse some background parallax thing, but since it's through a mountain range, I can't do either. Any thoughts on how to approach those empty spots in a way that sort of...de-emphasizes them?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Aesica There's not a lot that you can do. They will have to be filled with the same sort of trees etc. that you have on the main pathway. One thing that does occur to me - going north makes it colder & more snowy, but logically, so should going higher. Those higher levels would have snow on them as well, possibly more snow that the Pass itself. So you could start introducing snow covered trees, logs, rocks etc. Snowy grass would also help. Which reminds me, there doesn't appear to be any long grass in the Pass. I think that the lack of ground variation is one reason why it looks a bit bland at the moment.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aesica One thing to keep in mind is that a player isn't going to see all of that empty space so you don't need to fill all of it in. Focus on the space you know the player will see with a block or two beyond that. Mountain passes often have ravines and little valleys nearby as well as boulders, large rocks and even pillar like shapes.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If it's a mountain pass then add more cliffs to the bare bits to give the impression that the moutains are rising on each side. that takes up the 'empty space'. I know how annoying it can be to look at a map and be all "No, it doesn't look right" I personally usually decorate the whole map, even places the player will probably not see because i will see it and I enjoy it.

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dezue love the color palette! Awesome job!

8bitBartabas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah I like your tiles and palette! Nice work

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Kes Wow you got a nice faceset. (apart the nice map effects and mage effects when they study.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*Violent ball of 80's TV electricity* "Oww!! Stupid @ImaginaryVillain and his plugin, he didn't say time travel hurts! And why am I naked??"
It was at 3am Pacific May 25 that Skynet was created. And it came in the form of a messenger plugin so powerful it now runs my randomizer and does it better than the randomizer itself did. What have I created? :kaoback:
Found out someone took one of my artist's commissions, edited it and claimed it as their own. Called them out on Twitter, got blocked. Not sure whether to feel irritated or honored.
Im so glad that im into 16/32bit games because i'd never be able to create any assets for something more complex :p
I was thinking of MAYBE (a big maybe) starting an soundtrack resource thread where I would post one track per week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Constantine