Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Juanita Star I agree with Finnuval, the rooms are too large. Assuming the bed = 6 feet length, the bedroom alone is about 20 feet long. Measure your own bedroom and see how big that is! I would make that room about half the size it is, and only give it a one tile wide entrance so that it has some privacy. Few people have an open plan bedroom.
I also think your front hall is wasted space. It also creates the problem of where people get natural light for that room. All walls appear to be internal.
If you are going for a more realistic look to your maps, you could use the space freed up from the bedroom to drop an internal bathroom between it and the living room.

QuikInk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@QuikInk In your first screen shot you have what appears to be a floating town, in so far as the background looks like sky. If that is correct, then the external town walls on the right cannot throw a shadow - what is the shadow landing on? You will need to use the shadow pen on the editor tool bar and remove them.
Thanks for the feedback - it's actually a port town surrounded by the sea. I have a parallax showing through the transparent water tile to look like a reflection. It's more obvious when the map is full size but I take your point, maybe I should up the opacity of the sea tiles.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Juanita Star I agree it looks a bit empty. Two reasons for this I think are :
it's a little to big for what it needs to be. Especially the bedroom and hallway.

It's to symetrical. Even if a house/home is symetrical in its base lay-out (which usually it isn't) it is rare to find it being decorated and furnished so symetrical.

I do like the feel of the interior though, it just needs to be cut to size a little.
This however is just my personal opinion ad as always we are all wrong anyway xD
@Juanita Star I agree with Finnuval, the rooms are too large. Assuming the bed = 6 feet length, the bedroom alone is about 20 feet long. Measure your own bedroom and see how big that is! I would make that room about half the size it is, and only give it a one tile wide entrance so that it has some privacy. Few people have an open plan bedroom.
I also think your front hall is wasted space. It also creates the problem of where people get natural light for that room. All walls appear to be internal.
If you are going for a more realistic look to your maps, you could use the space freed up from the bedroom to drop an internal bathroom between it and the living room.
Thank you both for your sugestions!

The symetrical thing was something a friend told me too.

I also was thinking about that front hall and I agree, is just unnecesary (for light there was two lamps as events and they still are there but still).

Im going for the fantasy one were there are no bathrooms for some reason xD

Here is the updated version.

Attachments

Last edited:

ThyNexus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Juanita Star I do think that this map is an improvement from the previous, though I still think that the shape of the rooms are still a bit strange, especially the front room on the right with the "staircase" looking wall. If you imagine how that would look from the outside of a house, it would be pretty funky. Indented walls like that are typically because another room intersects it, or a closet, so having a corner of the room cut out and ends up feeling strange. Might I suggest reducing the front room to half the size (so a similar size to the other 2 rooms, maybe a bit larger) to create an upside down "L" shaped house? It would create a more dynamic view of the house overall without the symmetry and also make it seem less like there's unnecessary space scattered about!

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Juanita Star I do think that this map is an improvement from the previous, though I still think that the shape of the rooms are still a bit strange, especially the front room on the right with the "staircase" looking wall. If you imagine how that would look from the outside of a house, it would be pretty funky. Indented walls like that are typically because another room intersects it, or a closet, so having a corner of the room cut out and ends up feeling strange. Might I suggest reducing the front room to half the size (so a similar size to the other 2 rooms, maybe a bit larger) to create an upside down "L" shaped house? It would create a more dynamic view of the house overall without the symmetry and also make it seem less like there's unnecessary space scattered about!
Sorry, english is my second and I didnt really get the entire sugestion xD In any case, I did cut off more space.

Attachments

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got tired of square rivers and shores. So here's my first attempt at a parallax world map. But man, that headache I had to go through to get animated water over the rivers. I also need to spruce up the mountains, forests, add beaches, and all that fun stuff, but so far, just glad to look at my world in game. The mountain and makeshift forest textures are a slightly modified tile from either the Ancient Dungeons or the First Seed Material; Caves and Woods tilesets. I forget already. The rest are from the standard RPT, with some textures and bevels thrown over them for good measure. Very bare bones thus far, so I'm open for suggestions.

You are currently looking upon the northern highlands of Edren, a part of one in 33 countries currently on the map. Probably won't be seeing it in the final game, but its close to your home in the united kingdoms of Falamore directly to the east. To the north, you have Scarlough, and to the south at the tip of the Edrish Peninsula, the tiny kingdom of Tolland. Further north past the northern seas, the Venrir Kingdoms lay scattered across the icy shores. And should you see them stray from home, you better get a weapon ready just in case they need to supplement their coffers for the season. When they aren't pillaging seashore villages, one could bet they're busy mounting their defenses for the winter. For the Ice Elves of Kul'Moris have been looking to drive the Vanard men from the north for centuries. For all lands bathed under the Auroras are theres, according to the Frostwald Psalms. None of this has anything to do with my game's plot of course... Cept that ice elf part.
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 11.16.12 PM copy.png

Last edited:

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been hard at work on the map of Estellon, once again. Another small corner of the map is a tiny mageocracy of Asmia. Basically just been working on getting the mountains and hills to look a little less hand chiseled, particularly on the edges. Some rivers have been expanded, as now the grasslands have a border, and it was blacking out a few of the thinner rivers. Hilly forests are now present, though I could still use some ideas on the forests in general. A few placeholder landmarks and city locations have been placed, but nothing is finalized as of yet. As usual, if you have ideas on how to spruce up the world map, I'd love to hear them. How are your world maps progressing? (If your game even has one)

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 9.22.25 PM.png

Okay, might as well leave the usual lore tidbit here. This one is about the peoples that inhabit the country of Asmia.

Asmian.png
Common Ethnic Traits

• Hair Color: Any Pastel Colors
  • Eye Colors: Green, Blue, Yellow
  • Complexion: Light skin, burns easily, rarely tans.
  • Height Average: Asmians stand shorter than most other human races, with full grown adult males standing at about 165.6 cm (5 ft 5 in) and females at around 147 cm (4 ft 10 in). Taller Asmians exist, but are rare.
  • Youthful Appearance: Asmians age about 2/3rds the rate of a half elf, and thus tend to keep their youthful traits well into their adulthood.
  • Intuitive Magical Affinity: Asmians are said to be able to use magic as naturally as the high elves do.
  • Potential Sorcerer Bloodlines: Arcane, Celestial, Elemental (Any), Esmari, Fey

Synopsis:

When the kingdoms of Falamore united under one high king, there was one magocratic society who wanted no part of the world beyond their lands. When the surrounding territories sought to push Asmia out of their self isolation from the outside world, they responded with one very clear and self exclamatory message. Around the entire reaches of the small country’s lands, a massive barrier was erected to keep the meddling mundane folks out. And for several generations, life inside that barrier was a complete mystery to the outside world. The Asmians had successfully escaped the world, bringing their entire country with them as they secured a safe place in the realm between realms. The world of the fey. Generation after generation, the longterm exposure to the timeless and dreamlike energies of the fairy world they dwelled in had conditioned the humans of Asmia, altering them, both mentally and physically. Life was but a poetic song in the fantasia. One that they thought would never end. Then one day, it did. To the surprise of the former neighboring kingdoms, one day without warning or reason, the barrier disappeared. And the inhabitants from within emerged. Brightly saturated eyes and unnaturally vibrant hair colors. Uncanny youthfulness and beauty. Were it not for their rounded ears and slightly shortened statures, the people who interacted with the returning Asmians would have thought them to be elves. The changed Asmians didn’t seem to share the disdain for the mundane mortals that their ancestors did. A life where many didn’t have access to magic? This fascinated them. And it didn’t take long before Asmians began to spill into the world. Not as conquerers or refugees, but as explorers, adventurers, scholars, anthropologists. They wanted to study this world and its people. For you see, the Asmians had lost part of their history in the world of the fey. The lore of the world they came from.

As a more magical human race than most, Asmians age a little differently than humans. Though their adolescence is not extended, their aging seems to slow somewhere in the early twenties, resulting in their youthful appearance, as well as their lifespans lasting longer than that of a normal human. Of course they are easily mistaken for younger than humans of most races, due to their short statures and soft, healthy skin, which seems to always retain its moisture, even in the driest of conditions. Asmians have a childlike nature in their demeanor. They seem to romanticize the world around them more than most humans. And they typically carry themselves almost as if they are living in a dreamlike state, drifting from one experience to the next. They are by nature an affable sort, making friends about as easily as the Mezzoramians. However, while not prone to boredom as easily as most mortals, their love for excitement tends to land them quite a few enemies as well. Asmians don't view certain things quite as personally as their victims in pranks might. They also aren't known to feel the weight of life as much as most mortals, including their own. Though this does not mean they can't form deeply empathic bonds with others. Most good Asmians find themselves more drawn to the happiness of an individual rather than living their life based on platitudes. As such, Asmians take life's problems as they come, choosing to let the little problems sort themselves out, while they find something more worth their attention. They may be less conscious of some of the minor gripes they cause, but good aligned Asmians tend to be able to read what people really want as opposed to the frivolous things they think they desire. Asmians are observed to be rather nosy, often breaking into the mundane lives of those around them in hopes of finding something emotionally inspiring to sink their minds into. They are just as comfortable living life vicariously through other people as they are being the one with the rapier in hand, gracefully swaying from the ropes, and springing onto unsuspecting pirates. Though despite this, they aren’t easy to deceive or to manipulate. For their time in the fey world has led to the Asmians to be weary of tricks, illusions, pranks, and bargains that only seem fair on the surface.

Introverted Asmians are not as common as they tend to draw their energy from the exciting world around them. But they certainly do exist. After all even the most extraverted Asmians may see the appeal toward the beauty they can find within their own souls. The world of their imaginations is perhaps more familiar to them. It’s just that most Asmians choose to bring as much of that world out into the real world as possible. For example, Asmian males and females are more often than not pushing the boundaries of fashion. Were a modern adventurer to travel back even a week before they returned to the mortal world, they may be shocked at just how conservative everyone's manner of dress was, or how scandalous their own outfit might be considered. This is all thanks to the many changes influential Asmians have had. Asmians are actually a minority race in comparison to the other Estelonian races. After all, they've only been around for about three hundred years, and due to their 120 average yearly lifespan, they tend to space out their reproduction with their mates. And speaking of which, due to their magical aptitude, Asmians are often idealized and sought after by noble families with magic bloodlines who are seeking to stock pile power. Asmians lured by such arrangements by choice are often quick to take high positions in such families, and are treated with value in magical courtly society. But Asmians are very stubbornly protective of their right to choose whether or not they will allow themselves to be constrained, even among the more lawful Asmians. They are prospectors by nature. And an Asmian will only allow his/herself to settle in when they are sure they have found their place in life. This perhaps is the reason why so many are drawn to the life of an adventurer.

Tayruu

・ ゚*。・゚(幸)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Meanwhile in my XP project, I implemented a ripple effect to shallow water. It even happens at different rates for walking/running, since strictly speaking you take bigger steps, not more, when running.

It was an interesting (frustrating and confusing) experience learning how to work with display_x/y and the like so the ripples weren't just generating in the corner of the map, ahaha. But I'm proud of how it turned out. It does ripple over into the grass at angled corners, but unless I can somehow generate a mask for water tiles for an entire map and bind the Sprites to that mask, I don't think I can fix it.

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Took a break from the world map to practice with Celianna's medieval city set with some AD clutter and ground tiles thrown in for good measure. I wanted to see if I could replicate that iconic medieval look where the buildings are smashed against each other. This one was entirely done in parallax, because that damn "Save as Picture" feature keeps blurring and shrinking them. But at the very least I learned a few painting tricks for the floor tiles, at least. Makes the place feel more dirty and lived in. Think I'll call it... Cobbleton. In no part because it was cobbled together. There are two districts. The upper being the craftsman's district, and the mirroring lower district dedicated to housing and a church to the Foster God, Sol. And of course the small, center district between the two is dedicated to the Bailiff and administration, with one humble apothecary sneaking its way in. No nobles live here. It's a freehold, owned, operated, and administrated by a joint guild of craft-men. merchants, adventurers, and artisans. A testament to the rising yeomen class across Estellon. Of course they need to pay dues to the local lord in order to use the land, but I digress.

I'm starting to get a feel for creating smaller, more concise town maps. Something I've struggled with since the VX days. But necessary when drawing inspiration from medieval urban centers.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.51.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 3.20.04 PM.png
Cobbleton3.png

Last edited:

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Meanwhile in my XP project, I implemented a ripple effect to shallow water. It even happens at different rates for walking/running, since strictly speaking you take bigger steps, not more, when running.

It was an interesting (frustrating and confusing) experience learning how to work with display_x/y and the like so the ripples weren't just generating in the corner of the map, ahaha. But I'm proud of how it turned out. It does ripple over into the grass at angled corners, but unless I can somehow generate a mask for water tiles for an entire map and bind the Sprites to that mask, I don't think I can fix it.

Love the riple efect and reflections!

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Chocopyro , I have to say.. for my personal tastes, I don't dig overly complicated or overly decorated maps.. and I tend to find most maps folks post here to be one or the other (again, just my personal taste), however, I gotta say.. I REALLY like your maps!! They are detailed, but simple. Wide open space, yet also compact structures.
Fantastic job! :)

-MIA

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@M.I.A. Simplicity is kinda a lost art style, isn't it? I see a lot of RTP vanilla maps that blow me away. Still, no amount of pretty details (or lack there of) could cover up bad level design. My first rendition of Cobblton left me with the fear of NPCs blocking the players in every nook and cranny, because I forgot that one commodity urban planners would try to account for in densely populated areas. Room to fit the people. And of course from there, it was a matter of taking things away that didn't need to be there, till I ended up with a U shaped town. Still, I'm pretty touched. Makes me happy to know I'm shifting my mapping in the right direction.

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, that is pretty nifty! And certainly logical, too. Death from above and behind. Certainly effective! I know from experience, they never seem to look up. And if they do, they aren't paying much attention to anything else. So it's cool that there's a slight delay between the lancer character and the rogue. It's like the rogue is counting on them diverting their alarm to the lancer, then exploiting that gap in human perception.

(My twin brother plays a rogue in larp, and since we actually have real world stealth abilities from playing HVZ, we tend to do a lot of team based maneuvers to overwhelm enemies like that.)

You've a keen eye for the little details! XD

Reactions: Low

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Chez: The maps have a nice use of space, and do everything retro pixel maps should. The tipped over booze by the piano does add quite a bit of context in displaying what kinda place the player is walking into, though it could use a slight bit more contrast to draw the player's eye. (Only if it's there for enviornmental story telling reasons of course.) I'm not as familiar with the 8 bit era, though, so someone who is more versed in that might be able to give better imput than I could. Does that UI shift from room to room to avoid blocking any details? If so, that's pretty nifty.

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Spent some time looking at some of those Japanese resource pages, to look at how they do things. After seeing this thread here, I learned that one can add a hell of a lot of character to the SV sheets by adding a pixel here and there. So I felt a little inspired to make Pamula less serious looking all the time. This is more like how a 12 year old witch with a big head and a few screws loose would be in a fight.
1-3.gif7-9.gif10-20.gif20-28.gif

And of course, Roads and Location names are now in.

Last edited:

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Profile.png
Designing a own status menu from scratch actually is a lot more work then I thought. Consumed 4 hours today and
the parameters page is still empty.
Even I had to use a static battler image, because I wasn't able to use the animated sprite I still like this over the default or Yanfly. With all those dark rects it still has a little Yanfly touch, but I didn't like it without them.
The measurements are in metric system and I still think about whether I should include imperial measurement system aswell.
What are your thoughts about this?

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BurningOrca
Metric: Anytime I deal with the imperial system, I have to remember that only a small part of the world uses it, so I generally add metric in parentheses. It's not required, its just kinda a gesture of kindness to the rest of the world. But I mean, there's less of us than there are anyone else, so I don't really expect the same in return.

Menu feedback: So far, I like how the menu is coming along. There are two slight grammar issues in Katrina's profile you might want to fix.
In line 3, I'd make a slight tense change to "or where she came from"

And with line 5 the "Yet" in a strange place. You could either remove it like "but couldn't stay anywhere long enough to call it home."

Or maybe just move it to the front, and change it to "and yet, so far she couldn't stay anywhere long enough to call it home."

Thus far, like I said, it's quite nice to look at. It breaks the info down pretty well, and gives a lot of detail in the space that's used. The brackets are divided pretty efficiently, allowing the player to easily parse the info. And is that a friendship parameter I see? I love games with social systems!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*Violent ball of 80's TV electricity* "Oww!! Stupid @ImaginaryVillain and his plugin, he didn't say time travel hurts! And why am I naked??"
It was at 3am Pacific May 25 that Skynet was created. And it came in the form of a messenger plugin so powerful it now runs my randomizer and does it better than the randomizer itself did. What have I created? :kaoback:
Found out someone took one of my artist's commissions, edited it and claimed it as their own. Called them out on Twitter, got blocked. Not sure whether to feel irritated or honored.
Im so glad that im into 16/32bit games because i'd never be able to create any assets for something more complex :p
I was thinking of MAYBE (a big maybe) starting an soundtrack resource thread where I would post one track per week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allisnone