Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BurningOrca If we're doing grammar, it should be
"accused of being a"

and a nit pick
"what adventures will lie ahead of them".
You don't need "will" in that phrase. The adventures are already ahead of them, so the verb does not need to be future, as it is describing a present reality.

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Chez: The maps have a nice use of space, and do everything retro pixel maps should. The tipped over booze by the piano does add quite a bit of context in displaying what kinda place the player is walking into, though it could use a slight bit more contrast to draw the player's eye. (Only if it's there for enviornmental story telling reasons of course.) I'm not as familiar with the 8 bit era, though, so someone who is more versed in that might be able to give better imput than I could. Does that UI shift from room to room to avoid blocking any details? If so, that's pretty nifty.
Thank you so much for the feedback!! The UI actually doesn't change, however the maps are mostly small enough to where it doesn't block anything. The names above their heads show up as you get close to them, to indicate what the player can interact with. Thank you very much for the feedback!

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Vandriette: it looks okay to me, it's just that of everything about it, the lighting probably makes the least impression. More pressing thoughts I had while looking at it include
  1. that the character graphic crashes stylistically with the tile graphics
  2. that that map reminds me A LOT of a map at the start of the German RM horror game Taut
  3. Wait, the **** is going on with these wires? <- I'm immediately intrigued by the story/setting.
Though that said, where the lighting in particular is concerned, the source of light appears to be part way up the stairs, and I don't think that's where people put their windows? Like, I've seen windows at the top landing of a staircase, at the bottom, or on a middle landing, but I've never seen a window directly beside the stairs themselves that I was climbing.

I too have a screenshot. Okay, I had four actually, including two which were improved due to criticism from @Paladin-Cleric of Awesome but I lost some, so now I only have one:

2020_1_18_19_33_17_674_3698.png
Praja, Szargovia
Based On Jopac's March 2019 ReStaff RTP Towns, "Town 2"

WIP. As you can see I mainly need to make a bunch of doors. FWIW that is not a "fog" overlay on the screen, it's meant to be "frost" it doesn't scroll/autoscroll, doesn't move, just stays in place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@CrowStorm : Are the roofs of your houses magic? If so, I want one for my house, because despite the trees being covered in snow and the tops of the mapin wall (castle wall time I think) everything else is very dramatically unsnowed. It's a bit odd to see, if the trees, which are lower than the roof are covered, then surely at least the roof should have a bit of snow, and maybe a smattering on the ground.

It just looks a little off, and I know you said you weren't finished, I'm just throwing my two cents into the ring here.

CrowStorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: bleh to the blah.

Last edited:

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BurningOrca
Metric: Anytime I deal with the imperial system, I have to remember that only a small part of the world uses it, so I generally add metric in parentheses. It's not required, its just kinda a gesture of kindness to the rest of the world. But I mean, there's less of us than there are anyone else, so I don't really expect the same in return.

Menu feedback: So far, I like how the menu is coming along. There are two slight grammar issues in Katrina's profile you might want to fix.
In line 3, I'd make a slight tense change to "or where she came from"

And with line 5 the "Yet" in a strange place. You could either remove it like "but couldn't stay anywhere long enough to call it home."

Or maybe just move it to the front, and change it to "and yet, so far she couldn't stay anywhere long enough to call it home."

Thus far, like I said, it's quite nice to look at. It breaks the info down pretty well, and gives a lot of detail in the space that's used. The brackets are divided pretty efficiently, allowing the player to easily parse the info. And is that a friendship parameter I see? I love games with social systems!
@BurningOrca If we're doing grammar, it should be
"accused of being a"

and a nit pick
"what adventures will lie ahead of them".
You don't need "will" in that phrase. The adventures are already ahead of them, so the verb does not need to be future, as it is describing a present reality.
Thank you for your feedback. English isn't really my strength. Having to do the game in english is quite a challenge. I expect lots of grammer/spelling mistakes in the future.
I incorporated your feedback into the profiles, but I changed it to "or where she originates from".

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@CrowStorm : ahhhh, makes sense now. I guess I'm just the type of mapper who likes to stick with just one map type. the idea of areas within areas not being the same is one I've never really managed. lol. but if it's part of how your game world works then keep going, it's always interesting to have different ideas for how things work in fantasy worlds!

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. First time posting a screenshot anywhere. This is just a single screenshot of a post-apoc game I've been working on for about 300 years. I feel like it's finally starting to really come together.

screenshot.jpg

I'm sure I'll be making changes to the UI, but otherwise I consider this a pretty much finished map. The characters (the guy on the horse, the horse itself, the other guy, and the werewolf) were created by others (Hiddenone, Whitedragon, Bis, and Whitedragon respectively), all other graphics by yours truly. The guy on the horse is the player (he can get off the horse, he just happens to be on it at the moment).

The terrain graphic style (i.e. my graphic style) is NOT pixel art, while the characters obviously are, but I think it works. It actually kind of makes the characters stand out a little, and not get lost in the background. But that's just, like, my opinion, man... feel free to tell me if you disagree. Or if you agree. Or whatever.

Obviously I'm using a parallax background, but several items (the trees, the sign, the diner, etc.) are actually events so that the player can walk in front of them and obscure them and walk behind them and be obscured by them.

This is a 40x22 map, with a resolution of 1920x1056 (which should also be the size of the screenshot itself if you click it (I encourage you to click it)).

That's all I can think to say about it.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Oh, woops. I forgot to mention that the graphics for the buttons at the bottom are from game-icons.net. Didn't want to not give credit where it's due.

Last edited:

CrowStorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, yes, the basis for my map was one of Jopac (J0pac's) RTP towns. : (

I wanted to add a sad reaction to my initial screenshot, too, but you can't react to your own posts.

(You're already featured in the credits of the game, Jopac, you're just not in the credits of that screenshot.)

I meant to mention that in both my previous posts I just failed.

Generally speaking for anything bigger than 20x20 I try to use sample maps or other people's maps as a basis whenever remotely possible. I am relatively good at making small, one screen maps attractive but I don't even know how to approach making maps over a certain size NOT HIDEOUS. Even if I wind up spending as much time editing the basis as I would have making something from scratch, even the basis winds up nearly unrecognizable as the final map, having SOMETHING as a base/template enables me to map large cities and whatnot: I could never have made anything like Praja from scratch. When I'm I looking at an empty map that's got to be like 40x40 tiles, I get totally blocked. I don't know where to start and so I don't start or when I do start, I hate the results after an hour or so so much that I delete the whole thing. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. Until I headbutt my computer so hard my project mysteriously gets deleted.

So yeah, various maps in Malleus use the Sample Maps that came with RMMV, Jopac's RTP towns, FSM Town of Beginnings sample maps, etcetera, as a launching-off place. Again, in the game credits, didn't think to put it in the screenshot credits.

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@dsiver144 Nice! The windmill and the wind turbines are cute and super smooth. I love the palette you're using as well.

GuiltySlug

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@dsiver144 Looks great! The colors are so vibrant but easy on the eyes, and all the little animations and particle effects give it so much life!

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@JDevain Love that grittiness and washed-out kinda of look in your map. Really sets the tone for a game like that. o wo

Shinguccci

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1579630384404.png
1579630424931.png
1579630476628.png

Hello everybody, I'm here to ask; is this good mapping? cuz for some reason these maps look off to me, and I don't know what it is. Any comments on this or how to improve it?

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Map 1 from Orphan of Time:
Lizard Map.png
This is a map of lizard village. Since I'm using time fantasy, its a tile best for open and uncluttered maps. The logs on the side is how I represent "door" on "open" maps. Though its not always the case. I may make a road instead if that'll look better.
Map 2:
Town Hub.png
This is the town hub. In this game, instead of having potion and weapon/armor shops in every village, there is one hub map where the potion and weapon/armor shops will update after every major dungeon. Instead of the dual logs, I put in a fence with gaps. And yes, you can walk behind the roofs.
Map 3:
potion shop.png
And this how I do interiors, in this case, the potion shop from the last map. Simple open and uncluttered. The way out is the break in the wall.
What do you think of these? Any tips, tricks, improvements?

Windyhouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shinguccci Pop Horror always looks really nice. You might want to use shift-mapping on the bottoms of your maps, that might help with making them look a little more natural. You might also want to add a little clutter, they look very sparse for spaces that people live in.

@Mordridakon Your lizardpeople village is very square. You might want to move the buildings around a little, so they have a little more space around them. You might want to add roads, as well. Even very rural towns usually have dirt roads.
I really like the idea of your shop hub, but you might want to use more colors for the roofs. It's very gray.
The potion shop is really big. You might want to shrink it two or even three squares on the short sides, and maybe one or two on the long sides. Uncluttered is good, but there isn't much there.

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mordridakon Your lizardpeople village is very square. You might want to move the buildings around a little, so they have a little more space around them. You might want to add roads, as well. Even very rural towns usually have dirt roads.
I really like the idea of your shop hub, but you might want to use more colors for the roofs. It's very gray.
The potion shop is really big. You might want to shrink it two or even three squares on the short sides, and maybe one or two on the long sides. Uncluttered is good, but there isn't much there.
I took your advice and made the changes you suggested.

Shinguccci

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Windyhouser Sorry for bothering you again but, may I ask what shift mapping is? I may have forgotten what it was lmao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm getting close to releasing a demo. Working on formatting my Games in Development post.
I always see a few people asking for C# in next engine and I always thought: Do I not know enough about that language to tell it will affect extensibility and customizability to the negative? Watching a video from SumRndmDde today I feel confirmed.
If you had some musical requests in line with me.. feel free to re post! Corona has killed me and have recently got my internet back <3
I'm now working on procedural generated World Maps for my own project.
Is there anyone who's interested in having this Plugin for his own game?
I have a dream where RMer are not blinded and too dependant on published script / plugins...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRoXaS29