Windyhouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shinguccci That's perfectly okay! If you hold down shift when you copy an autotile, you'll copy it exactly, and as long as you're holding shift when you copy it and place it, it won't tile.
Quick example I made in the editor, left is default, right is shift mapped.
Map015.png
Here's a tutorial, too. It's a really useful skill to have!

@Mordridakon Glad to help!

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some images of Wilderwood, my starting town. A logging town in a densely wooded area. Truth be told, I could use some tips in making forest villages (Or forest maps in general) from anyone familiar with Celianna's ancient dungeon tile set, or the process in general, as I feel the town could still be improved, but ran out of ideas on how to do so. Other than that, the village was entirely done in photoshop, because you know that image saver. Some FSM tiles were used. (Namely the town square well, and the boat at the lumber yard docks.) No lore this time. Brain is fried from placing pixels all day.

This is just one of those towns where you're likely to have a pack of deer in your yard, no matter how many palisades, or natural barriers there are.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
awh_characters.png
Ok, I know it's not technically an in game screenshot. But I wanted some feedback on my new character designs for A Witches Heart. I've been playing around the last few days when I doodled something that looked very like these on a peice of scrap paper and I rather liked the design.
Feedback I'm looking for is on the colours, are they bold enough? Too much? (it's an artistic choice to have no shading, though its not 100% finished in terms of hair colour etc), general costume design, does it look Aztec like (the culture in game is based loosely on). Can you get a general idea of what standing each character is based on how they look (peasent, noble etc). Should there be more or less feathers?

I need to know these things before I finalise them.

Thank you!

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks a little more Incan than Aztec at a glance, especially the two in the red tunics, though I may just need to brush up on my Central/South American cultures again. If that isn't much of an issue though, and you're just kinda trying to capture the spirit of various cultures the same way most RPG settings do with that vague non-specific Medieval European flavor, then it looks good so far. The color consistency looks fine, but then again, I'm no artist. And now I'ma stalk your game, because just like Africa, the American civilizations and cultures are way too under utilized in RPGs, and I dig what you're going for. ^___^

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Chocopyro
Thank you. It's all thanks to Celianna's Jungle tileset and Aztec character set. The game itself is going through a revamp (since I discovered that my game files have all stopped working I need to redo entirely. fun fun. lol.) But the first step is the characters.

I've also had a look at the Incan style of dress and I see what you mean. Thank you.

Chez

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Map 1 from Orphan of Time:
View attachment 131808
This is a map of lizard village. Since I'm using time fantasy, its a tile best for open and uncluttered maps. The logs on the side is how I represent "door" on "open" maps. Though its not always the case. I may make a road instead if that'll look better.
Map 2:
View attachment 131812
This is the town hub. In this game, instead of having potion and weapon/armor shops in every village, there is one hub map where the potion and weapon/armor shops will update after every major dungeon. Instead of the dual logs, I put in a fence with gaps. And yes, you can walk behind the roofs.
Map 3:
View attachment 131814
And this how I do interiors, in this case, the potion shop from the last map. Simple open and uncluttered. The way out is the break in the wall.
What do you think of these? Any tips, tricks, improvements?
One thing a lot of new mappers tend to do is add a bit too much empty space. I recommend really thinking about how much space a character aactually needs, and keeping that. Shift click mapping will help you move your walls faster (copy/pastes it). It all just feels a bit too big? Try adding more decorational objects too. Do people in your city need light sources like lamps? Does anyone have their wares shown outside? What are some common areas townspeople may hang out at? This should help you out.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's no denying that these will look way better with the proper atmosphere (weather etc.) in place, and that said atmosphere will smooth over any mapping errors I made, but I'm surprisingly unashamed of these. (Unashamed is usually about as proud as I get of my mapping but I do like these.)

train train.png
This is the Praja Carriagetrain Depot ("train station"). While Train Depots and Train Carriages are real things, "Carriagetrains" are something I totally made up. This one begs some explication of what the fudge is going on, because w/o that I'm scared it might look like gibberish. The thing that look like ******* children of hansom cabs and train cars are in fact exactly that: "first class" is up top with the "horsedrawn coach" "experience", and even a seat with exposure to the open air (trains are still slow enough that that is safe...ish) is available, while "steerage" class is in the boring old normal train part of the cars.

The tracks passing over the map are (obviously, I hope?) above it. IRL there's probably a gazillion engineering reasons why you'd never want to have your north/south tracks passing vertically OVER your east/west tracks like that, but I decided what the fudge, it's a fantasy game, might as well be a little fanciful. The track-switchy thing serves not just as a turn-table but as an elevator that can actually move trains from the lower to the upper tracks. I'm not ever going to actually animate this, there's just gonna be like an NPC that tells you lol.

The coffins travelling by train probably have something to do with vampires but I'm not sure if that will actually be an in-game quest or story element or just a random background fact that only I (and now you, dear reader!) know.

purty.png
Grand Hall of the Inquisition w/ the Chapel of the Inquisition on the right (the parapet on the lower right actually belongs to the I-Haven't-Thought-Of-A-Name-For-It-Yet Praja royal palace). Less explanation needed here, just some credits: the super talented Celianna released a bunch of whole intact buildings for ReStaff 2014 and the gorgeous large winter trees are PandaMaru's work. This map will likely only be seen from the outside as an "establishing shot" rather than having walking chars on the map and worrying about how they scale relative to the buildings (I think they'll be rather too big).

Yougotsomechocolate

Random Chest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've not posted here in a while, but I've come back to finish this town after taking a break.

Attachments

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Your post would be better in Resource Support which is specifically for giving the type of feedback you're looking for.

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stats Screen.PNG
Finished reworking my stats screen. Don't know if I ever use all 10 elements I've created.
I have a few more states, but they can never be resisted. I removed the luck stat, because I don't want it and
added a power stat, which I need in my damage formulas.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes
Cool, thank you. I don't tend to search the forums overmuch so I didn't know that. lol. But thank you for letting me know!

Messena

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone!
So this is my first time posting here, but its easy to see that you have a great community.

Sooooo this is my first attempt in building a village for a random story (only started 2 weeks ago).
I´ve read some tips along the pages and in other threads, but I also find extremely helpful straight opinions so here I am.
Thank you in advance! :D

The Village:

Some "inside" examples:
Map002.png
Map003.png
Map004.png
Map005.png
Map006.png

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Messena Please edit your post to put the screenshots into a spoiler. We ask people to do this as otherwise an image heavy thread such as this takes a long time to load for many people. It's also a nightmare for those Members who access this site on their phones to scroll down all that.

Just a heads up on using imgur - for me and for many others with even minimal ad blockers the images don't show.

Chocopyro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Messena I quite like the way you use the clutter assets, especially in the interiors. There's a lot of simple touches that do a good job at selling that people live in, or at least frequently use the areas. And the exterior village likewise makes it pretty easy to tell which areas are... not being used. The note on the door of that house on the peak at the bottom right is a pretty good touch, and other subtle signs of environmental story telling let me know what I'm looking at right away.

I do like how it maintains a rectangular arrangement with the other shops and markets. That's pretty useful, since those are the ones players are going to be frequenting. And by the placement of the stone road, it seems that that's the main way tradesmen come into town, so the armor and weapons shop does seem rather advantageously placed, despite feeling like a very niche location by it's size.

Nice use of the RTP. And welcome to the site!

Messena

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes sorry for that, I tough just using a single spoiler was enough! I´ve edited the post and uploaded all the pictures apart from the village ( to big).

@Chocopyro thank you! Yes the stone road supposdly it´s the main road that connects the village to the rest of the world, build specially for trade porpuses.
The "armor and weapons shop supposdly is a guard point for the entrance of the village x) but I didn´t know how to identifie it, thats why it was so litlle. Guess I need to change that signal. Even so I´m glad I´m doing well on my first try.

Btw i´m using a personal rule of 3 squares(dont know how to call it) for the interior, per 1 on the exterior, do you think is enough? Personally I like to mantain an order and respect the visual transition to the incide, even if its bigger it doesnt change the perspective the eyes catch that much.
I dont know if its the right place to ask or if i´ve been clear enough with my explanations skills. If not I´m sorry in advance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. I feel like I have the exact opposite interests in storytelling as everyone else.
You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.
Once again have another case of an Android user losing all of their save files for all of my games after a single game update. Apparently even Yanfly's Save Core can't prevent it. Very frustrating.
Question! If anyone here has any of the Time Fantasy tiles, or the Omega Modern one, do they include character templates/bases/whatever the term is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
x01010110x