Windyhouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Raynar The river thing definitely makes sense! It's more a fault of the tileset, with how it ends so abruptly. If you're smoothing that area out anyway, that might make it a little less noticeable. :)

If you used right-click to copy the forest tiles, that's the culprit. Right-clicking copies every tile, including the ground, but if you place the darker grass from the sidebar, then place the trees straight out of the sidebar on top of that, it shouldn't mess it up like that.

Raynar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you used right-click to copy the forest tiles, that's the culprit. Right-clicking copies every tile, including the ground, but if you place the darker grass from the sidebar, then place the trees straight out of the sidebar on top of that, it shouldn't mess it up like that.
I had just selected the Forest tile from the side bar. No right click involved and I ensured I was clicking onto the darker grass but it still had the lighter outline.

Windyhouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Huh. Yeah, I just checked. Sorry, I was wrong about that. It's pretty annoying that it doesn't work. It's a really nice map, regardless.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Raynar If your forest tile is on the right hand side of the A2 tile set, with no background underneath it, then it should tile straight on top of whatever ground tile you have without changing it.

EDIT
I just tried it out in MV, in case my comment only applied to VX Ace, which is what I use, and it still works the way I said. Here is what I did. Sorry it's a bit blurred, I used the snip tool rather than a proper screen shot.

1581676990501.png

As you can see, the trees have mapped onto both ground tiles without changing either.

Raynar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've now updated my map and I think I might keep it as it is for the most part! Here's the updated map!

Map002.png

I've added a river at the top of the little mountain range in the middle of the island's core, but it cut off the land and turned a sliced segment into a island, almost. So I decided to liven it up by adding a village to the grassy mountains! I've also spruced up a little bit near the blue castle at the bottom. Finally, I addressed the issue that I had with the forest tiles and combined a suggestion I got, and decided to have all the grass be the same, with those dirt paths marking the roads.

I'd love some feedback on this map! It's my first attempt at a Nation Island. (To which I have three more to make.)

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Here's a nice little map I've been working on for my RTP-only game, The Cube Trail. It's supposed to be based on H.P. Lovecraft's Innsmouth, and has a corresponding quest in order to escape.

Map017.png

Endellion

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nothing too special here. Just an upstairs bedroom in a house; the room belongs to a little girl that really likes cats.

No, she's not in the room because at the point in the game where you see her room for the first time, she's missing. But that's beside the point.

Are there enough cat/kitten-themed things in this room, or do I need to try to find more?

Attachments

Elissiaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are there enough cat/kitten-themed things in this room, or do I need to try to find more?
That depends entirely on how much she likes cats... At first and second glance I'm only noticing 1 cat thing, the pillow. And a lot of other stuffed animals.
Which doesn't really say much about her opinion on cats specifically.
I'd say try to replace the stuffed animals with stuffed cats, if you can find any.

Another fairly easy thing you could do is edit those drawings in her room to have cats on them, even if you dont have art skills she's a kid so stick figures are fine.

Otherwise, if you're letting players interact with things, you could add a lot of cat themes, like in the bookshelves and the toybox. Maybe there's a tiny hidden cat figurine in the plant.

Edit: One thing you could use is the RTP cat, just have it set to not turn and have the MC be surprised it's not real if interacted with.

Last edited:

Endellion

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Elissiaro, I guess there's really not enough cat-themed things, then! :p I figured the book, picture, cup, the stuffed cat, pillow and three cat statues with their backs turned on the bookshelf might have worked. But the latter one might not look enough like cats to really work that well. I do like the idea of a hidden statue/toy in the plant's pot though-- and using the RTP cat as another toy sounds like a good idea, too~ :) Especially since there are a lot of things in that room that can be interacted with. I'll edit the non cat-themed pictures as well ^.^

Added a stuffed kitten in the bedroom (on the bookshelf) and the RTP cat as a statue :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Endellion Have a look at the window on the left. It is set so that it 'opens' into the vertical wall, so no way would it have light coming from it. Move it one tile to the right to match the window at the top of the room.

Elissiaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
book, picture, cup, the stuffed cat, pillow and three cat statues
Wow that's a lot of cat things I missed... ^^;;
I took a look at it again at 200% zoom and managed to find all of it. Maybe my visions going bad...
I can't help seeing a bear for the stuffed cat though, it's the ears I think, very round.

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, just started working on my first detailed map, and i thought i would upload a picture of the WIP of it, see what everyone thinks,
just to explain what this map is though, this is the main human city of my world, built around a world tree, (i have not put the world tree in yet) i have to make one big enough,
now i was going to make my own tileset using another tileset as a template, though instead i have grown to like a few different tileset's i brought from the products page,
fluff on Crystandale, i thought it fun to add this in, but mainly i put it in as it explains the city a little, not very much but still.
Crystandale, kingdom of human kind, set around the 1 of the world trees, with clean waters that run into the city,
A peaceful place at first look, but that is only due to It's laws, once you brake a law and your released from jail, you wont be kicked out of the protection of the city, no, instead, you will be set free to do as you wish in the slums of the city, dug deep into the mountain, and the only known entry and exit is guarded day and night, you can leave when and as you wish, but not without a toll, or at least a pass, rare to be found,
the upper city is clean and well kept, lamps light the streets, inns and and shops the like can be found, in plenty,
the people are somewhat rotten, they look down on anyone they think is below them, some shops wont even serve you if they think your a slum dweller, that's dirty gold after all, but they are kind and good heated still, they take in demi humans and give them food, scrap food, and only ask for hard work and toil, until death, no not slaves at all, just demi humans that work for free, that cant leave.

so far i have not put in any trees or house's other then in the center, im waiting till im done with the ground to do that, so i am about half done with the landscape,
plan is i am going to have another small water fall, coming down from the pool, into the city, around the world tree, that will be set in the center of the city, above slum gorge, there will be road of lighter stone, and patch's of grass in park areas and around house's, then there will also be trees lastly,
there is also a private garden to the back of the palace though in order to get the size correct for the map i had to put the palace in earlier then planned, so ill remove that when i put the grass and garden in, then replace it, as for the right side of the map, i am planning to have a it similar to the left side, just trying to get the grass to meet up with the ledge more neatly

Given the current size of everything i may be making the slum a bit bigger, though im going to be building it on another map, so i wont be going into detail in there, this is mainly due to needing a different tileset,

anyway, what do you think so far, any thing you think i should chance, i want to add some more detail in to the rock ledge, such as down in the slum there should be grass trees and vines growing out of the rock face, ill do that at the same time as trees
not sure how i feel about using the lighter boarder around the walls, i was using that same tone of tile as roads or walkways, but i think its kind of nice, just not sure,
also been thinking about lowering the map a bit so that i can put a parallax backing for the sky, but that will have to be custom done for this world as there are 3 suns and 3 moons...

may notice that i have been using a custom tile, if anyone wants it, i can upload it, its just a edited version of the cliff face,

btw not asking for help or support, just asking what you think, just looking for a general on topic chat about it,
Width: 92
Height: 78

crystandale.JPG

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nicke

Wow. Very nice interface. I'm impressed. It looks really pro. And the map looks good too. You're one of the good ones. How long have you been working on this, if you don't mind my asking?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the start looks great btw, the only thing I can tell is that the shadow on the bottom cliffs isn't really match up.
you might want to change that. especially if its form the higher part of the cliffs (side cliffs to the bottom of the map)

castle parts, I dont see a change for now. Keep it up :)

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the tiles your using. The castle layout, though, looks too boxed-in. Since you're already going with cliffs on that map, I'd suggest using the cliff tiles to form a more natural foundation for the castle to sit on. Something more akin to the cliff face to the left of your castle.

Nicke

Fortune seeker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nicke

Wow. Very nice interface. I'm impressed. It looks really pro. And the map looks good too. You're one of the good ones. How long have you been working on this, if you don't mind my asking?
Thank you! A very long time actually. It takes alot of time to do everything yourself sadly, but I hope my game will be complete. It is starting to become somthing great I think.

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the start looks great btw, the only thing I can tell is that the shadow on the bottom cliffs isn't really match up.
you might want to change that. especially if its form the higher part of the cliffs (side cliffs to the bottom of the map)

castle parts, I dont see a change for now. Keep it up :)
thanks ^^
the shadow at the bottom, i think your talking about the white or lighter tiles, i was using these tiles as a road, though the main floor tile is slightly darker then the cliff edge tile that i edited, it created a, somewhat of a lighting effect that i didnt really want, though removing that tile didnt make much difference in most areas,

I like the tiles your using. The castle layout, though, looks too boxed-in. Since you're already going with cliffs on that map, I'd suggest using the cliff tiles to form a more natural foundation for the castle to sit on. Something more akin to the cliff face to the left of your castle.
thanks ^^ i as soon as i saw these i fell in love with them,
yeah i have noticed that it was looking a little boxed in, i have altered the cliff face a little, i have left the right side of the map for tomorrow, though i have done a quick edit to the left side,
(i am planning on doing the right side of the cliffs also, just some work came up and i had to start doing that, as soon as i finished, was planning on getting back to work on the map, but tired now... T_T)

small update i made, im planning on doing something similar to the slums and right side of the map,
crystandale 2.JPG
also starting to think, even so the outer wall on the castle is in the story line i may have to edit it out, its just not sitting right, and i dont currently have the tiles to make it more round, i could edit the tiles i have already to suit my needs more, though im running out of tile space ~,~ i already have to sepperate this city into 2 city's just so that i can make the slums to my image, given thats without doing a parallax map, im trying to keep to just using the RMMV map maker, resons of pride, rather then artistic statement...

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as you build you map, you might add, remove, add remove alot of things to make it fit nicer,
once you have a nice looking part, you want it bit different again (I know, its time consuming)
but the result counts in the end of it.

Just take your time, draw things out, make some copies, and redo things when fit and until
you are happy about it.

Keep up the nice map working.
I'm also curious which castle tiles you used (So I can adjust my own roof set for more ways)
while in parallax can be many ways for it. and editor a bit limited, but didn't contiue the update
because to busy on this side at the moment. but I hope somewhere in march to update it on the web.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The new intro Logo for my videos.

I speed it up, the one I use to use was to long.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3
2 hours & 20 minutes remaining. :D
...trying to hurry finish up all commissions before I never put the controller down again ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Illuminachos