Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HotAndColdAF I like the general feel however I think there is a bit too little water to be a real swamp as the rest of the land doesn't yell 'wet' at me. Also some more logs and reed are missing in my opinion.

Hasin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, just because of my "quarantine", I had more time to build more maps. Currently I done around ~180 of them and I start to have some fun with light effects.

I keep working on location called Frostflame Grotto. It is placed between rocks of abandoned, deep desert. That place is called "magical" by locals, because two opposite elements (fire and ice) collaborates together, causing anomalies sometimes. There are a lot of poisonous steam, made from fiery ashes and hot water steam. Don't come in without proper preparation!

frostflame2.png
I think also about "fog" effect, but I just begin fun with light effects and picture implementation, so I will try do something more in close future.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd appreciate some thoughts on this map, it's one I struggled a bit with and I'm still not sure if it looks quite right.

The "trees" are actually meant to be branches pushing through the soil (hence the pile of dirt at the base). There will be context to communicate that to the player, but I admit I'm a little uncertain if it comes off visually:

1584654137672.png

HotAndColdAF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your dirt piles have a bit of a green tint to them; it makes them look like they're just more of the grass. Pushing them more to the orange side of yellow/brown and probably darkening them up some should help with that.

And if you can swing it, having one of the branches turn to go back under the ground is a good visual shorthand for "trees aren't supposed to do that."

MobileSuitSonic

Mod Magnet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Practicing on a outer courtyard. Need help with this one part...

1585098585771.png

UPDATE:

After a little Frankensteining, I found a way: railings!

1585104094062.png

Last edited:

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@dreamfall887 - loving the World Map scene. Very clean, but pretty.

So here's what happens when you plonk a phpBB bulletin board inside an RPG Maker game.

Sneaky peak of something bigger

What you don't see is this all scales to the game screen size. Make the game smaller and this (left) happens:

Means it perfectly scales to any device. Kinda.

That's all I'm posting for a while :p

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Mmmm... Seems I forgot to post this bit elsewhere than chats.

title.png

Title screen. But the twist is that I creatively made only one limb from scratch in Photoshop. The rest is only my composition. BTW, yeah... I got credits for all I used too and it is or royalty free or owned!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@mechabot I'd delete the fan shadow.
- It's not the right projection against the desk and looks flat.
- There is no light source to cast a shadow.

And why is there a carpet on the left side only?
What's its purpose?
It would look better centered on the desk and a bit "below", for the people entering the office.

ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My randomly generated maps are starting to look not terrible. :LZSexcite:

edit: Here's a new and improved version of the same area.

edit 2: Removed old maps to showcase new maps with the madness engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Today is not opposite day and this is not an april's fools joke.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been creating apartment room encounters for the big demo push. Only around eleven or so to go!
apt pic.png

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu Is that a window with view on the toilet (around the door)?
Also, the font is barely legible.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu I have to agree about the font. I think after a only a few dialogue boxes I'd be inclined to give up.

The toilet illustrates the problem of default tile location. It looks like it is unconnected to the wall (how does the water get into the cistern?) and wastes space. If you moved the tile up say 30-50% on the tile sheet it would sit more naturally against the wall. The same with the oven etc in the kitchen and cupboards generally. Also your windows overlap the skirting board (don't know if that's what they're called in US English). If you really want them to be that low, then you need to make it look like they cut into the board, not sit on top of it. Their present allignment also serves to emphasise that your sink is not actually against the wall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Twitter is making me embarrassed to be a Persona 5 fan rn
I don't wanna be called out when I say P5R is my favorite game :kaoswt2:
And my first batch of gobbo battlers is up *yay* (images should show now as they first didnt - Just my luck lol)
I've released the game I've been working on for the past 7 years, and wrote a postmortem detailing the struggles of developing a game alone. Check it out! https://meiri.itch.io/apple-pie/devlog/160774/apple-pie-a-postmortem
Petty boss is working today. Hope he realizes today that messing with me is gonna ruin his day like yesterday. I can operate very comfortably on the fringes of policy XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ba_hq