Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu I have to agree about the font. I think after a only a few dialogue boxes I'd be inclined to give up.

The toilet illustrates the problem of default tile location. It looks like it is unconnected to the wall (how does the water get into the cistern?) and wastes space. If you moved the tile up say 30-50% on the tile sheet it would sit more naturally against the wall. The same with the oven etc in the kitchen and cupboards generally. Also your windows overlap the skirting board (don't know if that's what they're called in US English). If you really want them to be that low, then you need to make it look like they cut into the board, not sit on top of it. Their present allignment also serves to emphasise that your sink is not actually against the wall.
I'll have to change the font. What about it is hard to read?

I've been using the default futuristic tileset for the tiles. Looks like I'll have to adjust them.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu It's several things combined.
The outline of the letters appears a bit blurred. As well as that being a general thing, some are more so e.g. look at the bottom left of the lower case t.
Lower case e - the space in the upper part is so small it's almost not there, making it difficult to see at a quick glance what it is.
Parts of letters are missing e.g. the top of the upper case O and upper case G.
Letters have bits omitted e.g. the upper case E has effectively a line through it and the lower case o has a bit missing at about 5 o'clock.
Some letters are not a solid colour e.g. the y and v, it almost looks like some blue has bled into the letters.

Put all those together and you have a font which looks messy, and with reduced legibility.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I edited some of my tiles, still much more to do. Is the alignment better?
Screenshot (23).png

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu Looks cool. I have no problem with the font (btw I wear glasses) but I can understand why some people would

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu Looks cool. I have no problem with the font (btw I wear glasses) but I can understand why some people would
I'm trying to use a font that has futuristic/cyberpunk leanings, but still readable. It's kinda difficult to find something that fits the bill.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu I think the alignment is much, much better. By visually freeing up some floor space the map looks better balanced.

PhoenixQuest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Would like some feedback on my map, please. So, first of all, my aesthetic for the game is aiming for early NES RPGs, especially Dragon Quest. At least in terms of world design. Graphically it's uh... well, it's the RPG Maker DS resource pack lol. But yeah, in terms of how stuff is set up, I'm aiming for a really retro feel.

So I've got two versions of this particular map. The original one with multiple floors, and a revised version. I've decided that I don't want towns or castles to have second floors (basements are okay though), purely for aesthetic reasons, so that's why I decided to rework the whole thing. I haven't done shift mapping on the second one yet (probably should have done that before I put all the crap in it... but whatever), but yeah.

This is the original version of the first castle.

And here is the revised version. I haven't made the basement yet. Also, before anyone asks, the RTP door that you can see is opened by the game's equivalent of DQ's Magic Key. I feel like it's plain enough to not conflict with the DS resource graphics. You don't think it's a problem, do you?

Also yes, you can break all the pots and barrels :)

What do you think? Please give me any feedback you can! If it sucks, tell me so! :)

Edit: Here's the basement remade :)

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PhoenixQuest I find your maps nice to look at, though I do have some points that could help improve them.
First, a little less box-mapping. I recommend adding/expanding some rooms that add shape. For example, you could expand the throne room up a few tiles, or add some tiles to the armoury room so it could hold a little forge on an outer wall! What you did in the new version of the basement was great and got rid of the box-mapping.
Another point is the carpeting into the entrance of some rooms. I used to do it a lot too, until a few people pointed out carpets are rarely like that. The entrance to the library, for example, try getting rid of that one tile of carpet and see how it looks.
My final point is smaller and are way more subjective: get rid of the autoshadow on interior maps. Subject to opinion; some people like interior autoshadowing.
Keep it up; your maps have a good feel to them!

Now, I have a map of my own to post that I'd like some feedback on. Why I continue to torture myself by putting large mountain areas in my game is beyond me. But here it is, another mountain! It's a small mining town in the desert mountains; their operations have created unstable caverns underground, resulting in chasms and quakes.
Map374.png
It's still a work in progress; I've yet to add doors (clearly...) but it feels overall a little plain to me. Opinions?

Kim_Shyuen

DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
0.gif
Just wanted to share a map I've done few days ago.
It's a choir classroom for characters to practice/learn about music and hymn!
Hope you guys enjoy! ovo
*I tried to upload the progress screenshots but it cames to error :(

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kim_Shyuen Is it normal that you have 2 people sitting on top of their chair?

If you're nitpicky, make the light coming out of the stained glass window not all white like the others.
Be careful to be subtle with the colors, though!

Kim_Shyuen

DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cabfe
I tried to make the light more colourful but it comes a bit weird (maybe it's bcs of the mural). Thanks for your advice tho! ;)

PhoenixQuest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@PhoenixQuest I find your maps nice to look at, though I do have some points that could help improve them.
First, a little less box-mapping. I recommend adding/expanding some rooms that add shape. For example, you could expand the throne room up a few tiles, or add some tiles to the armoury room so it could hold a little forge on an outer wall! What you did in the new version of the basement was great and got rid of the box-mapping.
Another point is the carpeting into the entrance of some rooms. I used to do it a lot too, until a few people pointed out carpets are rarely like that. The entrance to the library, for example, try getting rid of that one tile of carpet and see how it looks.
My final point is smaller and are way more subjective: get rid of the autoshadow on interior maps. Subject to opinion; some people like interior autoshadowing.
Keep it up; your maps have a good feel to them!

Now, I have a map of my own to post that I'd like some feedback on. Why I continue to torture myself by putting large mountain areas in my game is beyond me. But here it is, another mountain! It's a small mining town in the desert mountains; their operations have created unstable caverns underground, resulting in chasms and quakes.
It's still a work in progress; I've yet to add doors (clearly...) but it feels overall a little plain to me. Opinions?
Well, I kinda want things to be a bit boxy. Since it's supposed to be very NES-like, in terms of design, you know? I may take another crack at it though. I did however take your advice about the indoor shadows!

Here's another map. This one is supposed to be the largest town in the game! Thank god for anti-lag scripts! XD

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here are the ruins of an ancient temple in my upcoming game The Lost Art of Innkeeping. But it's not a traditional dungeon with monsters - it's a tourist attraction! And there's also some hidden treasure to be found, with the help of a cowboy hat-wearing archaeologist named Idaho.

Ruins_small.png

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PhoenixQuest If that's the style you're going for, and are consistent with all your maps being that boxy shape, that's fine too! Ultimately it is your game; design it how you think it should be designed. :)
Generally speaking, box mapping isn't desirable so I thought I'd mention it.
Also, you don't have to quote my whole post :p you can quote parts of it, or just do @(name) without the brackets.
@SeaPhoenix Oh, another phoenix! I like your map; it's full of nature so there's not a lot of dead space. You've added just the right amount of clutter to prevent it being overwhelming.
Are you thinking of adding weather effects? I really think some floating leaves or even a sunbeam would enhance your map further.

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, @Cythera! I wasn't planning on adding weather effects or sunbeams, partly due to the lack of skill on my part and also because I'm trying to keep my maps as lightweight as possible (since some of them have a lot of events) but I'll keep that in mind!

Hasin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there.
After finishing around 90% (currently 326) maps, I had to add some more light effects.

The secret place, setlled by dark elves. Of course, there is always dark, because it is located underground. Only the power of crystals could give you some light.
There are rumors that near the village stands abandoned cementery and there are souls of cruelest of warriors that lived on this island. Sounds scary? Well, I don't recommend you to explore it.
screen1.png

Some kind of casual giant-spider dungeon. No plot yet.
screen2.png

Located in depths of deserts, always excited travellers. Some of them said that there lives dragon - the legendary being, heard only in distant tales from times far away.
screen3.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SeaPhoenix Nice map. If I could make one suggestion it would be to scruff up the statue in the middle a bit. It is a lot 'brighter' than anything else, so you might want to adjust the brightness and perhaps a touch of desaturation. The same sort of thing for the tops of the tombstones. They look almost new. Maybe chip a bit out, or put a crack in, as well as adjusting the brightness.

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the suggestion, @Kes! The bright statue had looked incongruous to me too, so I had worked in an explanation within the game for that (the orphan boy whom the player finds living in the ruins cleans it everyday), but I'll try to reduce the brightness of the tops of the stone steles and see if I can put in realistic-looking chip.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Hasin Your second map is so dark that basically I can see nothing south of the sprite. My guess is that players will not be happy at having to navigate their way round it.

If you are going to put in light effects, then you need to think what that does to shadows. In your first map you have used the autotile forest unedited. The result is that you have a strong light source falling on the trees and making absolutely no difference to the shadows - they are still as thick and black on the side nearest the light as they are on the side furthest away.

Your third map is much more successful, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Here's the one that flee from no foe, the brave Sir Kiwival! Also protagonist of my current project.

This is the cover art of new game, "Primordial Essence".
I'm amazed at the performance increase I saw in just going through and rescoping the variables in other people's plugins that I'm using. You know what that means? :LZSexcite:
//Tosses more absurd stuff onto the game of "Jenga" that is his RM project.
:rheh:
Browsing through Steam's Curator Connect, it seems the vast majority of curators haven't curated in months. I'm guessing people finally got tired of reviewing games for free. Can't blame them.
Satisfy my curiosity for a sec please, folks: how many people actively followed/follow my Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript series and have found them useful for learning what makes RM tick?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalan