Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Eloise Another thing you might like to consider is how the tiles go with your sprites. At the moment, the robot sprite you have used looks out of place. Assuming it is made of metal, and assuming that your spikes are also metal, then your robot needs to harmonize more with the hue/saturation/whatever of the spikes. Unless maybe it comes from another world, it's too 'shiny' for want of a better word.

Eloise

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Eloise Another thing you might like to consider is how the tiles go with your sprites. At the moment, the robot sprite you have used looks out of place. Assuming it is made of metal, and assuming that your spikes are also metal, then your robot needs to harmonize more with the hue/saturation/whatever of the spikes. Unless maybe it comes from another world, it's too 'shiny' for want of a better word.
This is helpful, thank you!

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
My Underwater dungeon.
Credits to whtdragon for the tilesets and
Galv, and Moghunter for the effects to make this happen!

Attachments

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ed19 Sunlight falling through water would be more diffuse than you have shown. I think you need to blur the sun rays quite a bit. Cunning use of either Show picture or a moving fog effect would give the impression of moving/rippling water.

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
For the particles, I'm using the bubble fog from Moghunter although not really intense.
All I need is a static fog picture to add the foggy effect

EDIT : I have added the moving fog and blur the sunray as @Kes suggested.

And my video for the live demonstration :

Attachments

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ed19 Much better, though having seen the video now, I'd like to make a further suggestion. Make the sun rays picture fixed to the screen, rather than have them follow the player. I know scripts exist for that for VX Ace, and I would be surprised if there wasn't the equivalent for MV.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@superkoopa Depends what it is that you've presented - is it a map? a battle background? a part of your title screen? something else? Without knowing what it is, what function it has, it is hard to give any useful feedback.

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes
The sun ray effect is using the Moghunter's Weather Plugin. I will try to use the sun ray from pictures and see the differences. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the effect. Thanks for the suggestion.

@superkoopa
Thanks!
But I don't know what's your picture about so we can give you feedback.

superkoopa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Kes and @Ed19 To be fair, I was pretty vague. So as it stands I'm not really sure what it is, It could serve purpose as a battle background, or maybe a town, I was leaning more so to the latter. I was kinda inspired by the sepia toned sections in Suikoden 2, as well as the battle backgrounds from Final fantasy 6.

Shinguccci

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tayruu Well, I'm making more of a visual novel fan game, so that is the reason there are no 3 tile wide hallways. The setting is inside of a school, I chose that tile set only because it fit the look I was going for the most. No you can't walk where both tiles collide, so that wouldn't be a problem. Anything I missed?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@superkoopa That could work as a battleback, with very careful placement of battlers so that no one is shown as halfway up a building, but it would be very restricted - which might be fine if your game is one vs one hand-to-hand combat, but for a team vs a troop, I think you would have problems.
As for it being a town - do you mean as a town map that the player can move in? If so, just a few steps and they would be leaving it, so again, it has a very restricted usage.

The first determinant of any graphic should be "what is its purpose, and how does it function?" It seems to me that the image - nice though it is - fails the test of functionality, so even though it is pleasant eye candy, it is unlikely that it will benefit the game.

superkoopa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Kes I totally agree with every point you made. Thank you for your honest critique. Functionality should always be priority, form follows function.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ShadowCrispy Remember to remove the autoshadow for the windows upstairs :)

superkoopa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@gRaViJa Such a cool look. I really like how those plants pop up.

@StrawberrySmiles Neither out of place or awful, quite the opposite!

I'm just trying to find a consistent art style at the moment. I created the background but I'm using Suikoden sprites as placeholders.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@superkoopa That's really cool. The art style is gorgeous for sure. That's actually something I've been wanting to experiment with too. Making a game with pre-rendered backgrounds (in a way) on RPG Maker. Too bad I got my hands full on my current project to really start messing around with that stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Twitter is making me embarrassed to be a Persona 5 fan rn
I don't wanna be called out when I say P5R is my favorite game :kaoswt2:
And my first batch of gobbo battlers is up *yay* (images should show now as they first didnt - Just my luck lol)
I've released the game I've been working on for the past 7 years, and wrote a postmortem detailing the struggles of developing a game alone. Check it out! https://meiri.itch.io/apple-pie/devlog/160774/apple-pie-a-postmortem
Petty boss is working today. Hope he realizes today that messing with me is gonna ruin his day like yesterday. I can operate very comfortably on the fringes of policy XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ba_hq