Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would but temporarily using some assets i cant post (currently trying to learn pixel art so i can change them)

This is how my battle commands look so far but im unsure about the numbers
on the gauges... I want something elegant and simple that has the feel of a FF game.

Battle Commands.PNG

(The commands will not appear like that in-game as i have yanfly equip skills)

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the numbers look fine. But maybe you could play around with the fonts and stuff to find one that better fits your preference.

I've been experimenting with the art style and view for my current test project - so here I have a front view battle system, where you can see your characters face in the hud, and you get an image (and sound) of your character appearing on screen during your moves.

I tried it out using a lineless style to see how it would look and this is what came out.
Basically I'm trying to get a look of vanilla - rpg maker (so I can keep it simple), but also add a little bit extra to help it stand out a bit.

Right now, the animations appear over the players, I'm hoping to find a solution to that eventually.

superkoopa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@orange~ Thanks buddy! sometimes it's just nice to hear from someone else's perspective. The one thing I've learned about pre rendered backgrounds is that they are not really suited for rpgmaker. In my previous post of the town (which is the same size as a Width 17/Height 13 map), it takes about 5 steps to reach one side to the other. The work around I guess would be scripting a pixel movement system (I'm sure there is one already) and then like resizing the sprites accordingly, Just like the PSone Final Fantasy games. I'm thinking whether to just use pre rendered backgrounds for certain areas (like entrances) and scenes, and then the rest tiles based.

Whilst i'm here I figured I'd post this, it's a haunted swamp temple. In the arch above the door is a gargoyle, I quickly painted it's eyes red before I uploaded the picture., why not! Again I'm using Suikoden sprites as placeholders, I really need to make some of my own, I was thinking in the same sort of style.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@superkoopa Yeah I'd imagine that you can run through the pre-rendered areas pretty quickly. But then again, if you look at the pre-rendered games on PS1, especially survival horror titles, they'd switch angles pretty regularly. Like just one hallway might use 3 different backgrounds and you could run from one background to another in just those '5 steps.'

I'll experiment with that stuff at some point, but I'd probably have pretty limited area to explore. A smaller game or something. Can't imagine the work a full RPG would require D: Using these backgrounds in specific spots only sounds good imo. Regardless, your work looks very beautiful! Do you paint that stuff or what's your work process?

superkoopa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@orange~ You're right, they'd use a few angles to convey one scene alone. My work process basically consists of finding a nice reference picture, and then using layers to paint over it, then its just a case of editing around with colour tones, and pixel settings, making sure it all looks right.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kich You're probably going to hate me saying this, but...
I like those tiles, and think the colour palette is excellent. But there is something weird about the shadows. To get shadows like that, the light source (which we assume is the sun) would have to be absolutely vertically above the objects. Unless it is permanently high noon in your world, that's going to look odd after a while.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you can acces to it or use it for a specific event (party, ending, marriage, hidden underground)
or alot of trees, or like above, a big garden.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

@tekiro MV Deployment is for when you have trouble with deploying your game. I've moved your thread and its responses to the Game & Map screenshots.

Kich

Hi-bit pixel artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kich You're probably going to hate me saying this, but...
I like those tiles, and think the colour palette is excellent. But there is something weird about the shadows. To get shadows like that, the light source (which we assume is the sun) would have to be absolutely vertically above the objects. Unless it is permanently high noon in your world, that's going to look odd after a while.
Quite the opposite, it's nice having new points of view and besides I posted it here for critics. :thumbsup-right:

After pondering for a while, I figured it's hard to find a one-size-fits-all solution for this issue. No shadows at all
looks pretty flat and if I pick any other angle for a natural light source the tileset shadows would still lie on a fixed position, which only works for a fixed time of day. It would indeed look odd if I use a day & night system or if I place an artificial light source close to the tiles. At first I thought that one way to get around this problem —without some sort of 3D shadow renderer or lighting plugin— would be breaking the tileset objects and shadows into different layers and slightly changing the shadows position and opacity over time, but it's probably unfeasible while using RPG Maker engines and it doesn't solve the problem when there's more than one light source anyway.

I made a video test on After Effects simulating a 24h cycle, but... meh. I'd love to hear any suggestions.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@ganges This is an English language forum, so all posts need to be in English. If your English isn't good enough, you can always use Google Translate.

ganges

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ganges This is an English language forum, so all posts need to be in English. If your English isn't good enough, you can always use Google Translate.
It seems that the text I translated using DeepL has been retranslated into Japanese.
From now on, I will be careful.

tale

Volunteer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
タイトル画面アニメーション!

[/ネタバレ]

極めて洗練されたタイトルアニメーションです!静穏な空気感と流れるような音楽。優しく構成された音響効果が素晴らしい調和を実現しています。

タイトル画面のブルーのカーソルが背景の暗いシアン色をした草に溶け込んでしまっているように見受けられます(低コントラスト)。

Very sleek title animation! Serene atmosphere and fluent music. Sound effects are gently composed in harmony.

The blue cursor on title screen looks blended with dark cyan grass in the background. (low contrast)

ganges

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
極めて洗練されたタイトルアニメーションです!静穏な空気感と流れるような音楽。優しく構成された音響効果が素晴らしい調和を実現しています。

タイトル画面のブルーのカーソルが背景の暗いシアン色をした草に溶け込んでしまっているように見受けられます(低コントラスト)。

Very sleek title animation! Serene atmosphere and fluent music. Sound effects are gently composed in harmony.

The blue cursor on title screen looks blended with dark cyan grass in the background. (low contrast)
Thanks for watching the video!
Nice comments and advice, too!
(And translated into Japanese!)

I made the pixel art and music myself.
I want to use my own resources for the game to give it some originality.

The commands and arrows definitely blend in with the background.
I'd like to try to improve them!

Thank you so much!

superkoopa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I've been quite a busy bee, Here are two maps that I have been working on. I'm not sure if the contrast is too dark, though it seems alright to me, maybe my eyes have just adjusted to it from looking at it for hours on end. The sprites are from Suikoden, I do plan on making my own eventually. All in all I'm pretty happy with how much progress I've made lately.

misterdovah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! This is a library that I made with RTP and editions. It is the first time I will finish a project and I am very proud of it. :LZSjoy:

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Balancing the Damage numbers in my Game's Battle System makes me feel like I'm some kind of a Math Genius @_@
Remember, you can enter up to THREE effects for a chance to win a copy of MZ! Only 11 submissions so far, the chances of winning is high! :D https://itch.io/jam/elfkisser
wake me up when Photoshop stop crashing everytime
Brioche with a crème patissiere filling is so tasty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrFlibbles