Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd like to say this is in the middle of a city, unlike the previous beach image
The fact that it wasn't obvious that this is in the middle of a city is probably all the feedback you need. I would never have guessed, looking at it, what type of environment it was, especially as it has a palm tree in it, and not much else. The edging tile looks like it might be metallic, with rivet holes in it. Altogether a confusing map.

zakthepower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The fact that it wasn't obvious that this is in the middle of a city is probably all the feedback you need. I would never have guessed, looking at it, what type of environment it was, especially as it has a palm tree in it, and not much else. The edging tile looks like it might be metallic, with rivet holes in it. Altogether a confusing map.
Yeah, I should've explained that. Sorry.
I ended up completely overhauling the map, so everything is fine now. I just have to set up the passability stuff, since this is a custom tileset and all.
fffscreen11.png

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Ed19 Do you have a plausible reason for the light source in the 2 dark maps? To have that kind of effect it would have to be artificial and being carried by the player. Is that what you are doing? Unless this is a horror game, my instinct is that the map is too dark. Trying to navigate it could become tedious - unless, of course, there is basically only one path, in which case you've got other problems.
Been trying to explore the map by myself, I would lighten the map "a bit"
So the forest itself is a lost settlement that has been cursed. causes the sun unable to shine the area, but trees can still live.

Gooseb90

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I split up my forest map into two parts instead of one bigger map.
But I feel that my forest doesn't look in anyway natural. I did some saturation flickering with the basic tilesets and I'm using the tint system for my game because in this area it's supposed to be at night.
This is an in-game look, but we can barely see the map with the player cam. I would add some fog to add a creepy forest look but I don't know how.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now seems to be a good time to sneak in another screenshot while everyone is looking at the MZ threads.

It's a couple of maps further on than the last one I posted. You get to the abandoned outpost by going in one door and making your way (very quickly) to the other.
Without lighting the pile of skeletons looks a lot brighter than everything else; with lighting it blends in better.
As before, map in a spoiler and a screen shot while I'm testing passabilities to give a better idea of what it looks like in game. Sorry it's a bit blurry, I used the snipping tool instead of taking a proper screen shot.
Mapshot 103 Index [0, 0].png

Screenie.png

@Gooseb90 Could I suggest you break up those solid blocks of trees with 'glades' by taking some of the trees out. Make some of the lines along the paths a bit irregular instead of having everything in dead straight lines. Unless it is a forest planted by people, make the paths a bit irregular in shape as well. I can see nothing but 90 degree angles for everything.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Work so far on the second level of my nuclear power plant. This is officially the largest building in The Wastes so far.

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks very sci-fi/post-apocalypse, @cthulhusquid . You do have a lot of rooms on that map, so I'm interested in seeing how you fill them in. You've done a nice job with the rooms that are already filled. I'm also okay with the squareness considering the type of map!

I have my first attempt ever at a snowy map. Seriously, how have I never had to make a snowy map prior to this...?
This is half the town; to the left I'm building shipping docks and some more houses. Also, the buildings DO have doors and windows, but they are events, hence they do not show in the image.
Map433.png
Not sure how happy I am with the Inn/Gathering Hall in the center yet.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cythera Just a couple of things while you're still working on this map.
I suggest you use shift-click mapping for the ends of the paths going to doors, stairs etc. They shouldn't stop short, as that is not how people walk. If you haven't learned how to do that, I recommend this tutorial as it is an essential mapping skill.

The other thing is that pond/pool/mini-lake on the right. It's quite substantial - but what's feeding it? That water has to come from somewhere, and there's far too much for it to be rainwater. At the moment having it looks a bit weird.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks very sci-fi/post-apocalypse, @cthulhusquid . You do have a lot of rooms on that map, so I'm interested in seeing how you fill them in. You've done a nice job with the rooms that are already filled. I'm also okay with the squareness considering the type of map!

I have my first attempt ever at a snowy map. Seriously, how have I never had to make a snowy map prior to this...?
This is half the town; to the left I'm building shipping docks and some more houses. Also, the buildings DO have doors and windows, but they are events, hence they do not show in the image.
View attachment 148460
Not sure how happy I am with the Inn/Gathering Hall in the center yet.
Thanks! It is post apocalyptic, in fact. In case you missed the first floor, here's that one. The rooms are almost complete, they just need events. One still needs to be filled.

Your town map looks pretty good, but I think there's some areas that need shadowing, like the cliffs and the south building with the brown roof.

Last edited:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Cythera

I think, that's already a lovely start, I like the general look of it.
A few things: The chimneys of the gabled roofs look off. You wouldn't use a square end of a chimney on a diagonal roof. The bottom of the chimney should be diagonal as well.
I think, you are using FSM assets and they have tiles for that. Right next to the chimneys are the two fitting end pieces.
And I would try and make the walls of the houses of the bottom left and the one with the red roof 1 tile higher. Right now the roofs are very dominating.

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good point with the paths, @Kes . The lake is fed by a large river on the next map up! I can make the river in town more obvious though.
Oof, shadows, my worst enemy... thanks @cthulhusquid
Yes @Candacis the buildings are FSM tiles. I didn't see diagonal chimneys but I'll take a second look! Thanks for the advice on making the walla bigger, I'm going to try that. I think it will make them look better :)

@BCj Ooh, I really like that status menu page! The save page took me a second to realize it was cycling between files; I kept wondering why there was a file showing behind. I would personally offset it a bit so the selected save file isn't sitting on top of another file.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've decided to revamp all of the maps in The Cube Trail (game is not currently downloadable), because of the controversial thread about RTP-only games. To no-one's surprise, they look way better. For instance, the main town:

Before:

After:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cthulhusquid I don't think it's only a question of tiles, I think you've also become a better mapper since that first one. Your placement is more interesting. I'd like to make a couple of suggestions, though.

Your patches of forest/woodland could be made a little less flat looking by adding 'tiers' to those large black areas. Here is an example made with the same tiles. Sorry if it's a bit blurred, I did it with the snipping tool rather than go through the faff of doing a proper screen shot.

1592804778716.png

The other suggestion is about window placement. Some of those houses only show windows on the ground floor level, and I think they would look better if you also had one at the upstairs level as well. Here is an example of what I mean - there is a window above the door. I don't have a map with the same tiles as you have used, but the principle is the same. Once more, sorry for the slightly blurred quality.

1592805317782.png

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cthulhusquid I don't think it's only a question of tiles, I think you've also become a better mapper since that first one. Your placement is more interesting. I'd like to make a couple of suggestions, though.

Your patches of forest/woodland could be made a little less flat looking by adding 'tiers' to those large black areas. Here is an example made with the same tiles. Sorry if it's a bit blurred, I did it with the snipping tool rather than go through the faff of doing a proper screen shot.

The other suggestion is about window placement. Some of those houses only show windows on the ground floor level, and I think they would look better if you also had one at the upstairs level as well. Here is an example of what I mean - there is a window above the door. I don't have a map with the same tiles as you have used, but the principle is the same. Once more, sorry for the slightly blurred quality.

Thanks for the feedback! I like your suggestion of the "tiered" trees. As for the windows, I didn't add any second floor ones on the houses because none of them have a second floor. That being said, I can add them and just use them as another light source.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the feedback! I like your suggestion of the "tiered" trees. As for the windows, I didn't add any second floor ones on the houses because none of them have a second floor. That being said, I can add them and just use them as another light source.
If they don't have a 2nd floor orabove, why are some houses so huge? One of them looks like it could have 5 floors.
Also, your doors aren't placed properly, try placing the event one tile higher. Right now they're half detached form the houses :p

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If they don't have a 2nd floor orabove, why are some houses so huge? One of them looks like it could have 5 floors.
Also, your doors aren't placed properly, try placing the event one tile higher. Right now they're half detached form the houses :p
They only look detached in the mapshot, they are fine in game. The big one is a two-floor Inn, it just has a tall roof. The interior is pretty large so I like to make things scale a bit more realistically.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is my 1st real map, it's the starting village's blacksmith's pad. The NPC behind the counter is actually the smith's daughter. This map doubles as the location of the game's 1st battle and tutorial to combat. (modified Lecode TBS w/ battles on the same map instead of being ported to a different battle map) I was going for a size that was spacious enough to move around in, but still small enough to be simple. (a brand new character can move ~3 tiles per turn) The battle occurs because assassins will storm in (from the back entrance) to kill the smith and attempt to steal the village's prized blueprints. The daughter will cower in the top right corner for the duration of the fight. The assassins will succeed in killing the smith (part of the cutscene), but you must prevent them from reaching the blueprints they are trying to steal on the bottom left corner of the map. The protagonist's dad will be present as well to assist you and act as a guide on the mechanics of combat. (Think Golden Sun: Dark Dawn)
Stuff.png

Alternatively, I could omit the protagonist's dad and have the blacksmith's daughter jump over the counter and join the fray. She would act as the tutorial guide to combat instead. Thoughts?

Btw, are there any assets for blacksmith tongs, hammers, or grindstones?

Last edited:

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
My Massive Bridge dungeon. You can do a lot of parkour here. :wink:

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Bleeding Moons has its release date: September 3rd!
Do you stick with the RM default, or set a custom one?
I have been listening to the new music tracks for MZ included in the sample game projects ... for way too long. Quite catchy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz