Cardea

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Map1.png
The chamber of a spoiled princess who decides she is rather suited for an adventurers destiny than her life of luxuries and boredom.
I only recently switched from Rpg Maker 2003 to MV and would love some advise for my parallax mapping.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cardea I'd just tweak the shadows.
You have no shadows for the dolls near the windows but dark shadows for the guardrail in the middle of the room and the piano, for example.

Raith

Squire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Cardea I agree with cabfe. In the room with adequate, non-intense lighting like that, thin and slim things tend to cast less or very subtle shadow the farther it is from the light source.

And if the light source is far away, not very intense, and you don't put perspective view in your map, don't even try to skew the shadow.

My suggestion is add darker shadows for objects near the window. Also, fix the guardrail shadow skewness, decrease the opacity then blur it more.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm making a game in (another engine) for a game jam, but I decided to make the maps in MV first as something of a prototype so I can get my ideas down, since (another engine) tends to eat up a lot of RAM in addition to working the graphics card a lot harder than it's used to.
This is how it looks with just a Save as Image:
Map002.png
And these are some screenshots of how it looks in test play:
1596129270534.png
1596129286000.png
1596129328567.png
1596129341287.png
1596129351188.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@magnaangemon01 What I think is helpful when doing maps is to keep in mind the relative proportion of things. So, consider the size of the fountain compared to the size of the school nearby. Either that fountain is truly epic in size or the school is for dwarves. Even the lampost is taller than the school. The doorway + the line above it show the height of that floor to be only the height of a person. I am not arguing for realism - that would be foolish and unobtainable. What I am sugesting is that you need to use your tiles so that the top of the door does not reach the top of the entrance floor. Then think about the height of the floor above it. Again it looks incredibly low, especially as that floor is even nearer to the fountain.

Then compare the size of the school with that tower. ... yes, it's big. Your school is 2 tiles high and the tower is 9. No one will be able to see the screen at the top of it without really straining their neck to look up. btw, if lamps etc. have shadows, so should buildings, it will help to give them the illusion of depth. atm that tower especially looks very flat, with no shadow and the depth = 1 tile as shown by the turrets at the top.

Cardea

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KakonComp I really like the yellowy desert colors - combined with the orange and red, they also give me 70s vibes. I noticed a few things that bother me: The bar is very wide, I think it would be nicer to make it a bit smaller, more cosy. Or at one or two tables in the upper-right part. The rug at the bar – as far as I know counters are fixed on the floor, so it would be strange to have a rug underneath them. They would also be a PAIN to clean, since there will be spilling of drinks. Also I would change the placement of the windows, so that they are not blocked by furniture (especially by the tall cabinet). You have quite much wallspace, you could use that.
And I would love a bit less symmetrical tables – maybe just place the middle one a tile or two higher? Play around with the chair placement?

@Sleepy Kitten Games Overall I really like the map and they way you placed everything. I especially love the wooden beach houses in your test play screenshots! But I instantly noticed they all overlap exactly one tile – I would vary that a bit more, also the general structure of the houses is very similar. But then again, I do not know wether that is important at all, since you plan to to this in another engine. Another thing that bothers me a bit is the broken up stone pathway. I do not think it is very realistic to have a stone path broken like that – maybe change these paths to trampled dirt?

@magnaangemon01 There are many cool ideas (the billbord on the church and the modern tiles per se), but the proportion of your map seem very off. Cars are as big as benches, the vending machine is taller that one story of the school, the church is absolutely enormous – could it be you combined tilesets for a world view with tilesets for exteriors?

@cabfe and @Raith Thanks for your suggestions! I really struggled with the shadows so your tips are really appreciated. It absolutely makes sense, so I will tweak the shadows the way you suggested. Thanks again!

magnaangemon01

Miles Montgomery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did combine world with exteriors as I needed roads.

And I don't know how to resize sprites, so I did the best I could with what I have.

And I've never worked with shadows before, I'll have to look into it.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just found out I haven't been getting notifications about updates on this thread. Just want to say real quick that everyone's projects are looking amazing! I am floored by a number of them that I am seeing! Keep up the great work everyone!

For my own screenshots, I'm just about done piecing this one together. I have the layout the way I want, so I've moved on to making the custom pieces, such as the dwarf statues that decorate the front of this gatehouse. I still need to make statues to fit into the four alcoves in the wall, two to decorate the ends of the walls, and another one that's going to be a fountain of sorts, where the water pours out of the mountain and into the lakes on either side to feed the moat.

I've been seriously considering widening the walls that come off the main gatehouse by about two additional tiles, and potentially having them run up against the cliff and circle back in towards the main road. This is suppose to be the entrance to a mountain city built by dwarves, so defense is a biggy here.

Map057.pngGrand Entrance.PNG

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Guardinthena I really enjoyed the map, so interesting.

I do have a couple of queries.
The lower bridge looks very flimsy. I get that you might want that first one to be a bit hard for the enemy to cross, but it also has to be sturdy enough for your own soldiers/supply carts/general traffic to cross without feeling that they are going to fall over the edge or through the planks.

I'm having some problems with your shadows. (Sorry about the quality of the image, I used the snipping tool for speed, rather than a screen shot).
On the left, we have this.
1596281999866.png
Comparing it with the equivalent on the right, there is that little block going down on its own and I can't work out what is throwing that smidgen of shadow.
This is also an example of extremely sharp stepped shadows. Again I can't see what would give such a clear angular shadow. If it's from a distance, it would be softer/more blurred at the edges. I thought at first it was from the cliffs but
1. They are not in one-tile steps
2. They are slightly curved
3. They are too far away to throw such a distinct shadow.

I would also make the shadows at the base of the big cliffs just a tiny bit curved to reflect the shape of the tile. Having tiles which get away a bit from the blocky feel, it's a shame (imo) to reinstate that impression.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes - I'm taking it as high praise that you found the map interesting :D As to your notes, I should have mentioned the dwarf city/fortress was abandoned ages ago and is being repopulated by humans. The flimsy bridge was put down by the settlers who needed to cross. The original bridge is another custom piece I have to create. It's destroyed and will be seen around the planks, with some mechancial bits on the cliff to show the original bridge use to raise and lower.

As for the shadows, I agree with you completely. I have done every in the editor so far and that's restricting me on the shadows currently. The one off shadow square was an accident, surprised I didn't catch it! But the shadow on the wall was supposed to be from the cliffs. But I understand now, after your analysis that it doesn't match given the other shadows cast by the cliffs. I should be able to whip up a round shadow tile no prob!

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guardinthena I absolutely love it! Looks like it'd be right at home in Middle Earth. No greedy, sleeping dragons inside? :p

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@The Stranger --Hahahah! Err...well, now that you mention it....there mmaaaaybe a white dragon sleeping deeper in the ruins of the city, surrounded by a cult following of fanatic kobolds.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is the latest thing I'm working on, wrecked interiors. Because I can never find all the tiles I need, I've had to take about the few I could find and edit/frankensprite and make some until I have enough.
It's the house of a trapper who's using an abandoned village as a base for a couple of months. I still need to bash up the guard railing round the fire grate and find/make a better torch.

Untitled.png

EDIT
Cobwebs. I need to add a couple more. And maybe some water in that bucket.

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Two parts of a location you have to go to in The Cube Trail, freshly redesigned. Too bad the lighting effects don't show up with the map screenshot script I have. There's a top floor, but that isn't made yet. Again, ignore anything offset.

Map016.png
Map029.png

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Kes Nice map and good atmosphere. I like cracks in the floor.
Hard to critique since it is a wip map, so I'm not sure what parts you plan to improve, but some things:

Shadows from walls are missing (probably something you add later anyway).
Barrel and sacks are missing shadows. I think, if you had an unbroken version of the autotile, you could mix it up a bit with the top part and sprinkle some unbroken parts in, too.
I would give the chimney a top part. Right now the perspective looks off. A little flat.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes Really nice map. I'm a fan of abandoned and dilapidated places in games. :p I really like the ceiling tile you've used.

@cthulhusquid I really like the library section (though I'd think about placing a long carpet or something in the middle), but don't like the bottom half. The bottom looks a mess. Just looks so disjointed and weirdly constructed, as if it has no purpose; which is not how people tend to design buildings.

Have you thought about getting rid of that piece of wall jutting out by the main entrance? It breaks the room up in a really strange way. Personally, I'd try to make the room look more symmetrical. Move those sacrophagi around, or get rid of them entirely, as well as the seating, and move the pillars around so as to make the area feel more organised and grand.

I really like the catacombs, though. Hope it's suitably dark in-game. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Candacis I've debated about what to do with the shadows. As it's a night map, logically the walls cannot throw shadows. What I had thought of doing was an overlay with the left side of the room in more general shadow as the only light sources are the fire and the torch. The day version will have more conventional shadows, with light coming in from a window front and back, as well as the fire. I think I know what you mean by adding a top part to the shadow, but just to check - I had thought of adding a few more layers of brick so that the chimney goes 'through' the ceiling tile. Is that what you meant? Good point about adding a few unbroken bits to the autotile. I'll get on to making those.

@The Stranger Thank you for your kind words.

Cardea

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cthulhusquid
I really like the library, but would fill up the middle a bit more. A carpet, more tables or colums maybe? It would make sense in general to place colums away from the walls, where they might actually be needed to support the ceiling. Right now your colums are pretty much just decorative - which is also fine, but to me the empty space in the library screams for a nice pathway framed by colums.
The lower part of the map looks ... almost like a storage room? Not really like a grand entrance to a building like that. I`d to it more symmetrical, stairs on both sides, no separating wall for the sarcophagus, benches ans sarcophagus on the same height, symmetrical columns, ... Normally I prefer asymetrical building in RPG Maker, but grand buildings like this look best perfectly symetrical, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We are truly intellectuals.
Without using violence without weapons
Our group has as many as 1.3 million people and more than 1 hundred thousand talks.
We gathered in an hour, more than 4.5 Half a hundred thousand

I got a Sword.
I got an Axe.
I got two Swords.
Nothing to see here, just walking with my dog.
I haven’t worked on my game in a while. Tomorrow might be the day.
*squeals* :kaoblush:

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akasheee