Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Kes
I mean something like this:
Untitled2.png

Well, it is kind of artistic preference, if you want to cut the chimney off like this, but since your fireplace isn't flush at the wall, it looks weird to me that it currently vanishes under the top part of your autowall.

I would also add some more pelts, if you can, since it is a trapper. Or some boxes with pelt in it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Candacis Ah, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the suggestion.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@The Stranger
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to think of a way to redesign that bottom part. Glad you like the top part and the catacombs, though!

@Cardea
Thanks for the feedback, I'll take your thoughts into consideration as well! Glad to hear you like the library portion as well!

Last edited:

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is the frame rate on that map? Lol.

FiercestPixel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is the frame rate on that map? Lol.
It never drops below 60 fps but my new computer is pretty beastly lol. If I go this extensive with doodads I usually keep the map size pretty small to help with the frames.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@FiercestPixel I don't know if it's because this is a screenshot, and so freezes the animation, but the waterfall above the splash has hard edges that look like a frame for it.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I feel like this hamlet is missing something (besides doors). thoughts?
map.png

Cardea

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Oddball I think the buildings could be a bit more varied. Most of the are shaped excactly the same, with the same stones in front of the door, the same colors, the same height on the map. And maybe use another grass texture, especially on the more open grounds? Also I think a small village square surrounding the well would be cool.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Oddball A few more thoughts:
  1. The houses are all really small.
  2. In the upper-right corner, the fence clashes with the increased elevation.
  3. The fence tiles, when placed on the very edge of maps, pretend like there's more of them off the screen which makes them want to link to these supposed-off-screen fence tiles and it looks a bit weird. Try drawing a small fence somewhere else on the map, then use the shift-click trick to copy/paste fence shapes that match a little better.
  4. Plant some crops and drop some other placeables that might be seen around town--flower beds, crates, barrels. As mentioned above, a town square or something would go a long way to make it feel more like a town people actually live in.
  5. If you can find a better grass tile somewhere, do it. The default RTP grass is like, the worst possible color they could've used.
  6. The hills don't need steps on all of the front-facing bits, just where the paths intersect them.
That's where I'd start anyway. Now full disclaimer, I'm no pro mapper and I dislike mapping in general, so take my advice as you see fit. ;)

Crusha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Oddball I remember a video I ran across before on a game, and you can spend simply 10s of looking at someone's town in it here:
Go to 9mins:45sec into the video, and just watch for 10seconds up to like 9m:55s. It really made me think what can be acceptable in a game, for a layout of a town. The creator took a very different approach than most and it certainly made me remember just how different they chose to do it by having some of the shops feel more alive outside. It didn't feel like a repetitive thing, the shops faced differently, it was styled very uniquely. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it was certainly unique. I think this could be a benefit to take into consideration -- a game is meant to be enjoyed, so you have many ways of creating an atmosphere that can feel fun, or alive.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
I'm trying to make a pixelated look for my game's title. While I'm sure neither will make it to the final game, I hope to see which of the two you guys think is best for now? Any other feedback is welcome too :) (it's an animated titlescreen btw)

Last edited:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm trying to make a pixelated look for my game's title. While I'm sure neither will make it to the final game, I hope to see which of the two you guys think is best for now? Any other feedback is welcome too :) (it's an animated titlescreen btw)

I like this one

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Oddball
I like the pathways you did, they are nice and feel natural.
But I agree with what the others already said. The houses look too similiar and small.
On the Outside_C tab you have the exact same roof texture you used. Try to use this to make some L-shaped and t-shaped houses.
I would also always use at least 2-tile high walls for the houses, unless it is a small hut.

Here is an example I quickly did for the Outside_C roofs:

sample_rtp.png

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cthulhusquid That is much better. Something I did to get round the problem of a map shot which displaced events was - just for taking the screenshot - I moved events up a tile so that they were visually in the correct place. Then I'd have to remember to move them back down again!

Here is what I've been doing.

Our intrepid adventurers are halfway up a mountain seeking the perpetrator of some dastardly deed (aka a side quest). Still have to put in the wildlife and enemies, but there are a couple of well hidden chests, as well as the obvious one. There is an exit on the left to a side map. Sadly I have never found a way of including the lighting etc., so there are also a couple of screen shots to show more clearly what it's like in-game.

Mapshot 121 Index [0, 0].jpg

Our hero has spotted one of the chests.

Screenie 1.png

Admiring the view. Those clouds drift past at a nice speed, imo.

Screenie 2.png

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes I like it! Have you considered placing patches of dirt\mud around? Other than that, I don't see much else you could add. Well, apart from lots and lots of sheep if my time in the Welsh mountains is anything to go by. :p

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@The Stranger I know what you mean about the Welsh sheep! Sadly, they wouldn't survive here, as there are going to be wolves, rather big and nasty ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Lately, I've taken to smashing random nouns/verbs together as insults. It's sort of amusing how many people don't really know how to respond to that. You bottle shaker!
Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event
The Ace attorney series are so great games... But at the same time such a travesty.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Lanza) that adds 5 more weather effects to our MV games. :LZYsmile: Namely:
Ash-dust,
bloodrain,
Cherry Blossom Petals,
Hail,
and bubbles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamplighter