Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lagard.png
I need to make a night variation of the kitchen window still.
MilaWorld.png[\spoiler]
The wall bit on the middle window needs fixing. I only noticed just now.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
^ I'm a simple person, I see a ritual circle, I'm invested. I like the realistic room sizes. They seem to have just the right amount of stuff to fill them too without them being too cluttered or barren.

I've been working on this background and these enemies for this week. There has been something bothering me about this setup, but I can't quite tell what it it...

sewer_screenshot.png

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cthulhusquid, I get jealous on your mapping skill.
@SoftCloud, nice to meet you. Wow, your house are really scary. I assume you make the horror game.
@orange~, love your drawing. Did you draw this yourself?
All of you are doing are great, I tries to find something wrong. But, I found nothing wrong.

Last edited:

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@orange~
I'm glad about the room size. :) I'm also invested when I see a magic circle. lol.
Ooh I love the integration. The background and enemies appear blended together nicely. I can't put my finger on what could seem off but perhaps the enemies could be less aligned? So they seem less like they are lined up. Not really a bother though, they look amazing!
Edit: I also really like your party members in this. Looks really cool!
@Kupotepo : It's a fantasy game with horror elements. :D Lots of creepy but cool monsters!

Last edited:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@orange~ I really like the perspective on this one; it reminds me of Fear and Hunger, which I really enjoyed playing.

Giant amalgams of flesh definitely fit into a sewer; I'm always thankful of the men and women who have to work down there in real life.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@orange~ I think what's off is the fact that your background implies a light source behind the grate (hence the shadows it casts) yet the enemies aren't casting any shadows from that same light source. Other than that, it looks fantastic.

Edit: Also, the angle each of each shadow cast by the grate implies that the light source is in an illogical position--somewhere midair between the expected source (the second grate further back) and the first grate.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@Kupotepo yeah I've drawn it all. I'm glad you like it! : D
@SoftCloud yeah maybe it is a bit odd that blobs of meat would be so orderly...
@KakonComp well it is the sequel to Fear & Hunger, so it's no surprise there are similarities : D But yeah no kidding. Sewer diving must be one of the craziest professions around irl.
@Aesica you're right. I kept changing how the light eminates from behind the bars and in this latest version it doesn't make 100% sense. I really like the shadows casted on the ground, so I'll probably come up with a proper light source instead of changing the shadows.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The wall bit on the middle window needs fixing. I only noticed just now
I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by this, but in case this is not the point you were making - at first I thought the middle window was an aquarium. That is because everything about it is at odds with the other 2 windows. I had to open an enlarged version of the screen shot to identify what it was I was looking it. Only then did I see that there is a semi-realistic view out of a window. This makes no sense at all. First because the wall at that point is several feet thick, so no window would be there anyway. Second because if this window gives a view of the outside, so should the other windows, and they don't. Third, the view is of the tops of trees, but there's no indication that this is upstairs, and you can't see tops of trees like that when you are standing at ground level. Fourth, the distinct light rays should be replicated in the other 2 windows if they were all being lit by the same light source.

My suggestion is that either you remove the window there, or flatten the wall out and have the window be in harmony with the other 2.

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes Much appreciated! I see exactly what you mean. I'll see about reworking that section. I'll more than likely do a flattening of the wall as I think it'll become more of an opened area. Cheers!

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kupotepo
I used to be horrible at mapping, you just get better at it over time. Still, it's not necessarily easy, it just takes less time to get to the final idea.

Obipandawan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just finished up putting this map together, was having trouble coming up with ideas for lighting for the map wanted to see what you all thought about it.

Map Screenshot

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Obipandawan We have a thread for showing off game/map screenshots and getting feedback on it. I've merged your thread with it.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Obipandawan While the map at first glance is an attractive one, I am bothered by the number of inconsistencies which end up giving the impression that you have just bundled together resources to hand, rather than planning the map to be coherent.

Your footpath leading from bottom right to the cave entrance is cinder grey, which goes well with the colour of the rock face. I am, therefore, at a loss to understand where the sand has come from. It looks incongruous and I can see no reason why it would so quickly transition to the grey foot track. I also find the sheer multiplicity of tree species too much, especially the two in autumnal colours.

The shadows from the trees are not consistent. Some, e.g. the autumnal trees, fall well beyond the base of the tree. Others, e.g. the fir just on the north edge of the road, have a shadow which is only 'under' the branches with no extension. The tree which is just south of the road and is repeated in the centre and up near the cliff face has a dark shadow, while others have a much lighter one and the tree next to the southern dark shadow tree has no shadow at all. Nor does the one on the foot path with a rock at its base. All the tree shadows fall towards the northeast, except the large tree near the eastern edge and the dark green tree right on the eastern edge have shadows which fall towards the south.

I am also wondering about the side edges. Will the player find invisible walls to prevent them going east or west?

Obipandawan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Obipandawan While the map at first glance is an attractive one, I am bothered by the number of inconsistencies which end up giving the impression that you have just bundled together resources to hand, rather than planning the map to be coherent.

Your footpath leading from bottom right to the cave entrance is cinder grey, which goes well with the colour of the rock face. I am, therefore, at a loss to understand where the sand has come from. It looks incongruous and I can see no reason why it would so quickly transition to the grey foot track. I also find the sheer multiplicity of tree species too much, especially the two in autumnal colours.

The shadows from the trees are not consistent. Some, e.g. the autumnal trees, fall well beyond the base of the tree. Others, e.g. the fir just on the north edge of the road, have a shadow which is only 'under' the branches with no extension. The tree which is just south of the road and is repeated in the centre and up near the cliff face has a dark shadow, while others have a much lighter one and the tree next to the southern dark shadow tree has no shadow at all. Nor does the one on the foot path with a rock at its base. All the tree shadows fall towards the northeast, except the large tree near the eastern edge and the dark green tree right on the eastern edge have shadows which fall towards the south.

I am also wondering about the side edges. Will the player find invisible walls to prevent them going east or west?

Hey,

1) there will be no side ways they will be able to port to a side area of the map to find a small area that can be explored.

2) when i designed the map i was thinking about it having a very dark lighting to it, where you could only see a few feet ahead of you and had a dark green or black look to it. I imagined the different shades of trees would be a different shade of black/grey if i had put a dark overlay over top of it, and the sand and road in my test with that lighting at least the color did not look so far apart with the black overlay.

3) there are still some fine touches i need to do obviously, but i was trying to get an idea on what kind of lighting would work well with a setting like this. My only thoughts has been a dark enviroment if i did do something brighter with more visibility ill change up the colors of my tree and such to make a little better. Like i said when i tested it with black overlay it blended alot better since most of it was a shade of darker grey/black rather then orange here, green there etc..

I am trying to give the game more of a open world feel, trying not to add a lot of invisible walls or open areas that look like they go somewhere but don't, even if it leads a small map with a few more trees and a hidden chest or something i am trying to make things open.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Obipandawan In that case, it might be better to post a WIP of your lighting (with perhaps a screen shot in game to give a fuller idea) because it is very difficult to guage a lighting effect 'in theory'. It would also have saved me a lot of time posting about stuff that won't be seen.

Obipandawan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Obipandawan In that case, it might be better to post a WIP of your lighting (with perhaps a screen shot in game to give a fuller idea) because it is very difficult to guage a lighting effect 'in theory'. It would also have saved me a lot of time posting about stuff that won't be seen.
i did not even think of it like that, i was just posting to see what ideas people may have had for lighting.
but yeah that would have been easier :p

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Recently finished the HUD. Next up is enemy graphics. I'm kinda ok with how my testmap currently looks. What do you think?

lmnmnscreeen.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

trying to wrap up the boat/ship/castaway tilesets with a great galleon - no promises
Mail from campus: we will have the lessons this semester not remote, if possible. All my my profs: Remote it is.
https://gyazo.com/5a19cfce090a2585b3c0fcb7c699b92c Just finished a stealth system, its not metal gear solid level though, maybe elder scrolls level, it just works.
I ain't dead btw, just trying to keep up with university :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkDrakOnyX