Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Pots Talos It is certainly an attractive map, but I do have some queries about it.

That's an awful lot of trees there. I simply don't believe that a town of that nature would have so many, especially at the bottom section. There is an implied depth to those big fir trees, and some are so close together than there isn't room for the 'backs' of some of them.

This is clearly an affluent town. They can afford a bit of space, unlike, say, a slum where everything is crammed together as tightly as possible. But at the top, you have 3 buildings which are so close to the buildings behind them that they are effectively blocking all light from the windows which we can just see. In fact, the one on the left (under the word Gaias) appears to be touching the building behind it.

You have the buildings throwing some shadow, however, the large turret on the imposing building on the right doesn't have one.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes Those are some great points.
The trees are just used to block the player, while I'm sure there is a way to do that and make it more realistic sometimes you just want to get through a map because there are hundreds more to go. :)

The cramped buildings have to do with us making the game with RTP and then going back to parallax everything to make it look nicer while not messing up any events. So really just a lack of planning on our part but to be fair this was our first game we ever made.

Good catch on the tower shadow I will definitely put that on our trello list for a future patch fix, can't believe we never noticed that!
Thanks!

While I'm here responding I might as well throw up some other maps.

A small section of the treetop city, Solstice:

Tree-Top.png

Oslen Tavern in our upcoming title Gjallarhorn:

SS_Oslen-Tavern.png

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Pots Talos
Great treetop city! I like the trees and the atmosphere of it.
A few pointers:
There are no shadows under the platforms. They would throw a shadow, so I would make the tree section under the platform darker to give it more depth. The same goes for the branch under the bottom right platform.

Those crystals give a nice contrast, but you could integrate them better into the treebark. If they are supposed to be sticking out, put a bit of shadow under them. Also, make the crystals on the right side of trees darker. If they are supposed to be nestled deep into the bark, put a bit of white highlight on the treebark, directly under and on the right of the crystal.

I don't know if it is possible, but I would break up this wall of leaves in the background. I would put some darker trees in there as well to give it the illusion of depths.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I need some feedback on this level-design! I do like it myself, but something is off...
One thing that catches my eye is that it's uneven, there's empty 1 square bellow flowers but not at the top with the chairs taking that top squares too.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Zquence
I think, this is a very interesting room, but you might want to rework the carpet placement. I would shift-map the carpet, so that you don't see the border at the bottom. That border of the carpet wouldn't be visible since the bottom wall would cover it.

Zquence

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Tuomo L, that was on purpose to try some variations of asymmetric level-design! But indeed, it is a somewhat "sore" for the eye... I'll try to play around with more space, and other alternatives!

@Candacis, the room itself is very intriguing! The goal is to create a mysterious vibe, with some "never-before-seen" machinery... When it comes to the carpet, yeah... I should go do that straight away! Maybe play around with other colors! :)

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zquence If the machine is the focal point of the map, I would actually make the carpet skinnier and just go down the middle of the room than fit it to the side under the chairs/plants. That way, the player's eyes will follow the carpet to the machine and go "ooh what's that".

Zquence

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Ronove, ah! Actually I didn't think of that... Back to the drawing board! :)

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1599070863783.png

Hey guys, I made a little market place and I want opinions! :D

@somenick what a different approach, but I hope it will be good, looking forward for more :D

@Pots Talos I really liked your village!

@orange~ OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU MADE THAT GAME, I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME COOL GAMES OF RPG MAKER AND I FOUND YOURS AND I REALLY ENJOYED YOUR PROPOSAL! So so so so good, I hope you get a lot of players!Really liked your dark vibe!

Zquence

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@gabrieldiastche, I quite like the maps layout! From my perspective, I would say that there is too much "free" space. Maybe populating your map with more decorative stuff, could help improve it! In the end, I don't know what you are planning to do with this, but I like it! :)))

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zquence This bit looks off to me.

1599124348870.png

Logically the top of the pipe from the steam-driven computer(?) needs a distinquishable horizontal section going into the machine at the back. It has to be able to clear the depth of the cogs and the horizontal pipe coming out of the middle of the cog on the left. At the moment it gives the appearance of just going straight up.

I think you will have to do this by highlighting a section - in the same way as on a cupboard edge, you've only got a vertical line, but you can 'see' the shape as a rectangle because the lower part is darker, and the left upper side catches the light more than the left lower side.

Zquence

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Zquence This bit looks off to me.

View attachment 159137

Logically the top of the pipe from the steam-driven computer(?) needs a distinquishable horizontal section going into the machine at the back. It has to be able to clear the depth of the cogs and the horizontal pipe coming out of the middle of the cog on the left. At the moment it gives the appearance of just going straight up.

I think you will have to do this by highlighting a section - in the same way as on a cupboard edge, you've only got a vertical line, but you can 'see' the shape as a rectangle because the lower part is darker, and the left upper side catches the light more than the left lower side.
Thanks! I will try to play around with the RTP, to see if anything works and maybe try to look up on alternatives. In the end, I should just go edit the parts of it, that I use - making it more "my style".

I will certainly be taking your advice!

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1599163034022.png
Guys, I know it's a lot, but what you do when you don't know what to put in some houses? Feeling really dumb here hahahahahaha

But, it's life, there are some days that you are really inspired and some you don't

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@gabrieldiastche Who lives there? Who they are, their wealth, profession, way of life, etc, should usually determine what their home is like.

Avery made a nice tutorial on mapping interiors.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Candacis Thanks for the critique, you bring up some good points.

Here is a map of the game I'm currently working on, Gjallarhorn:

Map_base-ghar-jalal.jpg

Sadly, I had to reduce the quality of the image to upload here.
Character and monster shadows aren't done yet.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Pots Talos It would certainly require editing the tiles but I'd mix a bit of green on the outer edge of the snow area and a bit of snow on the ground on the other side.
The transition between the two would look less abrupt.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Pots Talos
That's a lovely map! I love the waterfall and you did a good job in the placement of cliffs, trees and ground textures.
One thing has me confused. The tree shadows seem to indicate that the sun comes from the bottom left. But the bottom left is exactly the part where the cliffs are darkest. Those two things don't fit together.
Also, why do the trees throw shadows, but not the cliffs?
Unless you have some sort of plugin with wandering tree shadows, I would re-consider the shadow placement of the trees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee
When a youtuber plays your project or game made by you using MAKERs, you will just be awe struck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deli