Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this is the coolest thing I've done so far for my game.

Live players across a network, including character creation with visual equipment.

That's two different browser windows.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll fix up the map. In the mean time, maybe you could help me with these two maps I am stumped.

flower.jpg

This is supposed to be a flower shop but I feel that it could be improved.

shrine.jpg

This is a small shrine which you get to just this one time for a small dialogue with the guards. I'm not really sure if the water effects look good or I should place more clutter on the ground to spruce it up more.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tuomo L The flower shop is too big and barren. When I think of RL flower shops I've seen, they tend to be small and packed. Flowers are not in tiny vases spread out on tables, but big bunches in taller vases all together on the floor and/or on racks. The only table would be the counter where you pay and where there might also be a few special items. I have never seen a flower shop with absolutely no windows, as flowers need light. Is there a reason for a crystal there? If there is, does it have to be slap in the middle of the floor where no shopkeeper would have it, as it detracts the customers' attention from the goods for sale?

The water shrine is (I'm sorry to have to say this) bland at best. Perhaps if the water were cascading down the walls and into pools that would be more visually interesting. Maybe with a spout or two of water. The columns are not architecturally interesting or in keeping with the more rock-like walls and floor. Columns like that would normally be on a more formal tiled/paved floor, and I think there are too many of them. The torches are somewhat 'domestic' in scale - a shrine would have something a bit grander, I think.

Last edited:

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L

I agree with Kes that your flowershop is big and empty.
Here's a quick map I made you can use as inspiration, or just copy if you want, that I feel is a bit more shop like. (Using just the MV rtp with the same SF flowers you used.)
Screen Shot 3518.PNG
+Less boxy shop:
Screen Shot 3519.PNG

And I tried remaking the shrine map to look a bit more interesting. And changed the walls and tiles cause the water is very manmade and also the pillars. Then edited it again cause maybe you wanted it to be more of a natural cave.
Screen Shot 3522.PNG
Screen Shot 3521.PNG

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
These are the first 2 maps of my game. I'm mostly satisfied with them, but I don't really trust my own judgement in these things. And since I'm not much of an artist, and my game is still pretty much at its beginning, all assets are MZ RTP.

First is the main character's home. She's a mage from a prestigious family of mages, and currently living on her own. Does this house feel like it belongs to a female mage from a well-off and powerful family?

I'm also a bit bothered by the empty space towards the bottom of the map, but can't figure out how to improve it without messing up the shape of the house (see next screenshot).
Map009.png

Next is the actual village. The main character's home is in the upper left corner. I tried paying attention to the shape of the house when designing the interior map.

The big house next to it belongs to the main character's family. It's supposed to look like it belongs to a super wealthy family, but I'm not convinced I managed to capture that feeling despite putting it high up.
Map010.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nolonar I'd like to suggest a few improvements, if I may.

As you are only just beginning, you could benefit, without losing too much time from what you've already mapped, by re-arranging your tile sheet so that things like cupboards, sinks, bookcases etc., are moved down half a tile. This allows them to 'sit' naturally against walls. At the moment, your sink and stove have a gap between their back edge and the wall.

One of the reasons why you have so much empty space at the bottom is because you've had to cram all the furniture along the top wall. Have a look at, for example, Candacis' thread here which has some furniture that you can put along the side walls. You can easily create the illusion of cupboards along the bottom wall by taking just the top of a cupboard and putting it right at the bottom of a space on your tile sheet. Doing things like that will allow you to arrange the furniture in a more natural way, creating a better balance to your map. It would also allow you to put in some form of heating. I see that none of your houses has a chimney, but there surely would be some way of keeping warm at night, even if winters were mild.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Love the aesthetic! The map feels a little incomplete, I feel it needs shelves with folded clothes too, and since it's such a high end store, maybe a few seats.

h0tWalker

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Returned after a long break from game design and RPG Maker in general. Been working on a town map, and while I'm still in early development in the map, its starting to take shape. I'd love for anyone to give their idea and input, especially for details, etc. Doors are to be added as events, hence none of them, and still debating the south and north of the city for some parts. Yet to add life to the city itself.

Maker/Tileset:
Engine:
RPG Maker MZ (for multiple layers)

Tilesets:
Ancient Dungeon Base Pack
Fantastic Buildings Medieval (for furnace and other details)

This is probably for a larger project :D

Last edited:

Pix3M

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Love the aesthetic! The map feels a little incomplete, I feel it needs shelves with folded clothes too, and since it's such a high end store, maybe a few seats.
What I think is interesting is that what I slapped together reads as "high end". This store is located in an artist's commune in a far-future where every piece is hand-designed or 3D printed in some way. Shelves would make sense if clothes are mass manufactured but that's not the case here. If anything, thrift stores would be a much better reference for the kind of store I'm aiming for. I'm intending a store to be neither high or low end, but they have pieces from different artists from absolute beginner to master-level.

Seats would be a very good idea though

Returned after a long break from game design and RPG Maker in general. Been working on a town map, and while I'm still in early development in the map, its starting to take shape. I'd love for anyone to give their idea and input, especially for details, etc. Doors are to be added as events, hence none of them, and still debating the south and north of the city for some parts. Yet to add life to the city itself.
Think it's possible that we could add in background decoration to convey social status and occupation for some of their inhabitants?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think I've ever seen a store high or low end without shelving of some sort, because some things just don't hang up very well, but maybe it's different where you are. *shrugs*

Pix3M

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think I've ever seen a store high or low end without shelving of some sort, because some things just don't hang up very well, but maybe it's different where you are. *shrugs*
The thrift stores in my area don't put any clothing on shelves because each piece is too unique. Instead we hang every piece on a hanger. I'm in the US

Jentokki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi there!
I'm still quite new to RPG Maker, i've only been using it for a month. I actually read the whole thread to learn how to map better! I wanna show you what i do too :D

Here's the first map i made and the second version, that i'll maybe revise again for the final game. (welp it doesn't show doors)

Map009.png

Map035.png

And here's a map i just made to try something out! Trying to make it less "boxy". It's supposed to be an abandonned village.
Map040.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Jentokki Just a small point on your woodland village.
If you look at your building on the left, it is set against a section of forest that only goes back up for one tile.
1601455642730.png

That does not leave any space for that portion of the building at the 'back' behind the roof that you can see. This makes it look very flat. I'd move the house a tile down.

Jentokki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes I didn't think of that, thanks a lot! I changed it and it does make more sense like this.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L The flower shop is too big and barren. When I think of RL flower shops I've seen, they tend to be small and packed. Flowers are not in tiny vases spread out on tables, but big bunches in taller vases all together on the floor and/or on racks. The only table would be the counter where you pay and where there might also be a few special items. I have never seen a flower shop with absolutely no windows, as flowers need light. Is there a reason for a crystal there? If there is, does it have to be slap in the middle of the floor where no shopkeeper would have it, as it detracts the customers' attention from the goods for sale?
The crystals are save points. There's a boss battle in the shop at one point, so save point is pretty much a mandatory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.
Sand is basically small rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewRobertson