Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
so save point is pretty much a mandatory.
Far enough, but my point was also - if it has to be on the map, does it have to be in that precise location on the map where it is ugly and intrusive. As it is not a large map, even the most unobservant player is unlikely to miss it if it were more to the side

Skyquake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey guys! So after a long break I'm back to my Project. This time, I hope i will finish it as well :D. So I wanted to show you the Cathedral from my city as well as it's location within the city. As always, feedback is more than welcome
Cathedral.png
city.png
city2.png

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Skyquake
I like the general layout of your city! Love me some pitched roofs :LZSsmile:
I would suggest you look up PandaMaru's resources for VX Ace, she has made some gravestones and church windows you might find useful, even a mausoleum.

A bit of feedback:
While I think it is good to strive for a unified look for your city, it looks a bit samey. For instance, it is difficult to even see the shops on the map, because the houses look all the same. Maybe introduce one other wall and roof texture and door, window combo?
I made pitched roofs for VX Ace, too.

I'm not so sure about the border on your pathway autotile. It doesn't look natural to frame all the buildings with it. Normally the pathway border would vanish behind the houses. I think, I would remove it completely everywhere it borders a house.
I would put shadows right next to the small stairs going into the cathedral as well as shadows on the right side of the left "tower" front of the church (I hope you know what I mean, it's getting late and my english is getting worse). The tower would throw a shadow onto the wall of the entrance part.

Skyquake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Candacis Thank you for the heads up. I rectified the shadow on the tower and stairs. I will try and use another type of roof and walls, the problem is, i don't really like the others and they don't really fit this type of city but i'll look into them and figure something out :D.

EDIT: So i changed some of the roofs and modified a window to look as if there's light inside. As for the walls i REALLY don't like anything else from the RTP for this city.
City3.png

Unfortunately for the alley, i think it's too late to be able to modify it now without redoing like 75% of the city.

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Skyquake
The path and graveyard fence on the far of the cathedral has a weird perspective, I'd place them a few squares lower so the look like they go behind the building walls. Right now, it almost looks like it connects to the roof.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Skyquake
It's a nice looking town!
Just a couple of things:
There's a house that seems floating above the garden below:
1601757372572.png
Also, the graveyard is at altitude 0 on the left side but should higher when coming from the right (you have to climb stairs to reach that entry).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Skyquake I'm having problems with this section
1601757819907.png
It's the way the 2 buildings at the back relate to those in front. We assume that those in front have some depth, that the back wall and back roof aren't perpendicular from the ridge. Yet the buildings at the back are so close that there simply isn't any room for that space to exist. This wrecks your perspective.

Skyquake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cabfe you're right about the graveyard. I will rise the far left fence . The house You pointer out is on the same level as the garden. The pine tree is lower than the elevated platform of the Town Hall.

@Kes i guess i understood what You mean but I thought of the roof as something like this
Screenshot_20201004-112501~3.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Skyquake I see what you mean, but in that image there isn't another house starting at the roof line.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses

Working on reviving an old projekt to play around with MZ.

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cas.png
I was working on this. This place is a non-physical location so I wanted to do something interesting with the border around the room. I think I'm happy with it so far.

@karraymalek, this is fantastic rendering! Using such a system you can achieve such wonderful atmospheric scenes. While I'm not saying anything you haven't heard, this is quite a lovely and inspirational sight. :LZSproud:

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Skyquake I'm having huge difficulties with perspective in this section.
1602663965140.png

As far as I can tell, the gap between the brown roof and the back wall is only one tile wide, maybe 2, judging by the tree on the right. There simply isn't room for the roof to descend on the other side with towers fitting in.

There is absolutely no way that the 2 turrets at the front could be attached to the tower like that. It looks like they are floating on air. I'm not entirely sure which tile set you are using, but if it is the one I think it is, then have a look at the way the small turrets are shaped in, as it were, so that they look like they are attached to the wall.

Skyquake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes good point on the back wall. I believe i should raise it 2 more tiles.

I use only the RTP tileset and alterations of it, and i'm not really sure what you meant with the 2 front towers.
tower.jpg

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Skyquake Here is a snip pic from one of my maps which is more like your reference image.

1602686208640.png

The point of similarity is that the base of the turret is clearly attached to the wall. If you look at your map, you will see that about 75% of the base of your turrets is unsupported.

turret.png
This makes them look like they are floating in mid air. They are proportionally too big to be turrets. Again look at the relative sizes of the turrets in your reference image and in my image and compare them to the size of yours. The simplest solution is to bring down the bases to ground levels so that they are not floating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inkdrips