Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm thinking of not having the specific time there in the final game (just the season & the sun/moon with the general time of day), I just have that up for debug purposes.
I always figured having the information spread out across the screen would a) make the screen more cluttered and b) make it so the player has to look in several different places for information rather than all in one place.
As for the message box, it's triacontane's MessageWindowPopup plugin.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@cabfe Can't say for sure, to be honest. Probably metal. But then again, it doesn't look like a table that students would use in a library.

958.png

More like something for staff members... Should I keep the old bigger desk?

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mr. Detective I think this version has more character. I'd say go with this one. Usually I imagine staff desks to be more so separated from students or facing the opposite direction. But, backs of computers I don't think are a common asset so reversing the desks so students can't see staff work seems difficult without asset building. :kaoeh:

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mr. Detective Mighty fine! That’s some superb work there! that gives it enough visual variation I think and the asymmetrical decorations makes it appear lifelike.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if these count as screenshots or not (probably not, tho they could be hehe) but I intend on using one of these for my title screen. However, I need help deciding between these 2 choices:
Bloodmoon.jpg
Bloodmoon2.jpg
Which one do you guys prefer? I think the 1st Bloodmoon is too red, or at least the title's font color doesn't contrast enough w/ the rest of the background...

Edit: I decided for myself lol:kaoswt:
1604318226881.png

Edit2: I was thinking of making it so selecting "New Game" would start a cutscene that essentially starts out displaying that title background img (w/o the text ofc) and then slowly pan downwards, transitioning to our protagonist on the map, etc... Thoughts? (hopefully that was a clear enough explanation, my apologies otherwise lol)

Last edited:

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Frostorm with those 2 choices definetly the 2nd!

The first is too overwhelming and too monochrome as it is now. Also once the menu overlays it it messes up the composition of it.

As for the cutscene idea, I like it. However I will caution you to keep pacing in mind when you do that. More often then not the transition is to fast or too slowly done.

So yeah, that's my two cents

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Frostorm I personally don't like that font choice, or rather, its design. It's a bit annoying to read and doesn't stand out enough from the background image. Perhaps a little text shadow or outline might help? The purple + black colors don't help it, either.

As for which one to use, I think the first one is much more terrifying to look at, while the second one has more of a melancholic feel to it. This depends on how dark or horrifying the contents of your game are. If it's not a horror game, maybe stick with the second one.

It's up to you to decide, in the end. If you're satisfied with what you have, good for you.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm I personally don't like that font choice, or rather, its design. It's a bit annoying to read and doesn't stand out enough from the background image. Perhaps a little text shadow or outline might help? The purple + black colors don't help it, either.
I agree, there isn't enough contrast. That was actually like the 1st time I've used Photoshop in ~5 years haha. I actually already do have an outline + shadow on it, should I turn it up and make it more pronounced? Or if I should change the color, what color should I use?

Oh, and my project isn't a horror genre, but rather Fantasy w/ dark-ish themes (or maybe Dark Fantasy?), perhaps Dungeonpunk even. Btw, as pretty much as far away from an artist as one can be lol. I'm much better at database, theorycrafting, etc...

Edit: I've also considered changing the font but not really sure to what. I've considered using Kingthings Petrock (which is what I use for the game's text), but that would everything look too "same".

Anyone good w/ color theory? This really isn't my forte lol...if I try changing the title text to colors that are different from the rest of the background img, then it doesn't look like it meshes well. But if I use colors that match the background, then it doesn't contrast well as @Mr. Detective mentioned.

Last edited:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is it okay if I readjust the nose to the middle? X+5, Y-5. Personally, I think putting it in the middle looks better, but not sure if I'm making a mistake or not. XD

te.jpg

@Frostorm Sorry, but I'm not sure, either. Maybe try brighter violet color, or red and see how it looks. I think increasing the size of the text outline a bit, and making it white (test black too) will help it stand out. Try that and see if it's better.
Yeah, I took a look at your game, and there wasn't anything horror about it, so I think you should save the first one for another project or another scene. XP

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Frostorm @cabfe I guess it's safer if I just don't move the position of those parts, then? =w=
te.jpg
Change back to 0?
Do you guys usually readjust anything? Like hair?

Edit: I actually prefer the female eyes, so I tried to put them in the male folders. How does this look? I'm still not sure about the position of the eyes and the nose.

te.jpg

Eyes: X-3, Y-3. Nose: X+3, Y-3.

Looks unusual?

Last edited:

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm
Imo the one with clouds looks better.
There's too much empty space on the sides in the other one.

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Currently working on a map where most of the work is not done in RPG Maker but in Photoshop with layers of clouds and other effects :) I just love maps with clouds and this one harkens back to some of the very first map I did for the game years ago.

EmTvA1VW4AAIub3.jpg

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have another question about MZ's face generator.

d6yf2bim1rx51.jpg

Am I supposed to move the nose up when the character's mouth is like this? Which one is right for this kind of angle?

@Dust Looks good so far.

Pootscooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm Definitely the 1st one (w/o clouds), plus I think you can add a title frame/border to deal w/ the empty space.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm Definitely the 1st one (w/o clouds), plus I think you can add a title frame/border to deal w/ the empty space.
Something like this then? (I have plenty of these "frames" to choose from, I just arbitrarily picked 1)...
1604865610708.png
1604867486836.png
Edit: I think this 3rd one hits the spot...
1604868658450.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)
starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.
I know what I want in a loose sense. Maybe I should just make a post asking for opinions and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad_At_Scripting