Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Map progression
from one week of mapping to 3 month later

(you can move your mouse over the picture to see the difference)

It's not 3 months of mapping of course, just some additions from time to time.
Nice! Similar layout to how I did it (dungeon on the right, town stuff on the left lol). How did you get the scrolling before/after image thingy btw?

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Map progression
from one week of mapping to 3 month later

(you can move your mouse over the picture to see the difference)

It's not 3 months of mapping of course, just some additions from time to time.
That's a really nice one !

hinola

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks

The layout is quite instinctive, I just put that as it came
I made the web page myself for the scrolling before/after

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I need some ideas on what to put in this section of the map, which I've dubbed the "Golden Grove". It also has an entrance to the B1 floor of the beginner dungeon (there are 3 floors w/ various access points and sections you can only get to via certain entrances).
SouthEast.jpeg

Edit: Also, thoughts on the new Title font?
1605584089467.png

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I need some ideas on what to put in this section of the map, which I've dubbed the "Golden Grove". It also has an entrance to the B1 floor of the beginner dungeon (there are 3 floors w/ various access points and sections you can only get to via certain entrances).
View attachment 168108

Edit: Also, thoughts on the new Title font?
View attachment 168147
Flowers? Small rocks? Small trees?
From Wikipedia, " A grove is a small group of trees with minimal or no undergrowth ". So there would be trees but no bushes or anything like that, mainly small stuff.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Flowers? Small rocks? Small trees?
From Wikipedia, " A grove is a small group of trees with minimal or no undergrowth ". So there would be trees but no bushes or anything like that, mainly small stuff.
That map has actually been worked on a lot since I posted that pic. Current state:
GoldenGrove.png

I just need to add a bit more on the top left corner. Also, do you see the chest? hehe

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That map has actually been worked on a lot since I posted that pic. Current state:
View attachment 168465

I just need to add a bit more on the top left corner. Also, do you see the chest? hehe
the chest is made of wood and steel? than i see it, but wont spoil here..

for the top left corner you could use some grass and bushes, also you could add some little animals randomly moving to fill up the image..

tonytank1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello people,

I've been working on creating an art style that combines pixel art with realistic elements using shadows, textures, and non-RTP assets. Since I'm not really an artist, I'd love to hear your comments about the general look of this art style and, especially, if I got the shadows right.

Here's a YouTube video of the map. Thanks!

Last edited:

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@tonytank1
Damn that's actually pretty incredible, huge old-school psp vibes I love it and you pulled it off really well! :kaoluv: Reminds me of one game in particular I can't remember the name of!

My only real gripes are maybe the desaturation of the "backside" of the roof feels off (if that's meant to be the shadow I think the value should be turned down a bit <3), the grass-covered stairs don't seem to fit the grass, and I think the tree trunk's shadow is on the wrong side of the trunk xD! Those shadows are on point for this style tho seriously, and I feel are really consistent which is the most important IMO. :kaopride:

If we were being really nitpicky I guess the shadow of that one tree left of the house would affect the corner of the house slightly to make it blend better, and I think the sw most tree's shadow isn't quite touching the base (or the ground color is making a weird "gap" appearance)?

tonytank1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@tonytank1
Damn that's actually pretty incredible, huge old-school psp vibes I love it and you pulled it off really well! :kaoluv: Reminds me of one game in particular I can't remember the name of!

My only real gripes are maybe the desaturation of the "backside" of the roof feels off (if that's meant to be the shadow I think the value should be turned down a bit <3), the grass-covered stairs don't seem to fit the grass, and I think the tree trunk's shadow is on the wrong side of the trunk xD! Those shadows are on point for this style tho seriously, and I feel are really consistent which is the most important IMO. :kaopride:

If we were being really nitpicky I guess the shadow of that one tree left of the house would affect the corner of the house slightly to make it blend better, and I think the sw most tree's shadow isn't quite touching the base (or the ground color is making a weird "gap" appearance)?

Thank you for your in-depth analysis!

You're right about the desaturation of the roof. I believe it's because that particular part is an overlay layer (you can walk under it). I guess I need to delete this exact part from the ground layer so they don't overlap. As a matter of fact, I just noticed that the same exact issue can be seen on the southern wall of the bedroom in the house (it is an overlay layer as well). I'll fix that for sure and make sure this won't happen in future maps.

You are right about the trunk's shadow, I need to flip it. Good catch!

You're also right about the shadow in front of the house. I'm still having issues creating good looking shadows for buildings. For some reason, the technique I use for trees ends up looking weird for buildings. I think I need to take an art class or something :)

You're also right about the shadow gap, I moved the tree a bit to fit the grid but forgot to move the shadow. Another good catch.

So, thank you for your input. I'm especially happy you like the overall art style, I was somewhat worried that it would look "off" to some as it combines pixels with realistic textures.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So...does this arena/ring thingy look like a "fist" to you guys?
1605986532240.png

Edit: Or would something like this look better?
1605986982430.png

Last edited:

bg400

AKA WriterStudios (avatar made by DrQuack64)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welp... I might as well contribute to this. Here's a screenshot of my title screen and another of a standard battle.

title screen.png
Battle.png

It's a combination of the Mario and Luigi series & and the unfortunately forgotten Nintendo DS game, Monster Tale. It's gonna take inspiration from the likes of other Mario RPG Maker games, like Seven Sages and Starlite Worlds. Hope it looks interesting....

LusianL

Lord Charset
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italia
Primarily Uses
Hello! This my map!
pipina.png

pozzomisterioso.png

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played that game, Mistia is a really nice game and made together.
it's has a nice town, really well set up, if you dont know the game,
Play it, it has some very unique features in it that you dont see
in any game or anytime soon anyway.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@bg400 Oh, a fan game. Haven't seen one on here for a long time.
Two things that struck me right away:
- The "Merce Madness" text on the title screen looks bad compared to the other texts. Not awful, but the lack of fill-in color makes it somewhat unpleasant to read. What's the point of that?
- The flowery decorations on the HUDs make them look clutter and annoying to my eyes. They're just too much. Perhaps consider removing them or toning them down.

@LusianL Nice. Very beautiful. That's from a tileset or parallax mapping?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I like that update notices for RPG Maker MZ are being sent via email . . . I often forget to check from within the program. :smile:
Long time no see. Is “put on and take off my hat readily” right or natural?
My English teacher said the "readily" is used wrongly here. But I am not sure. Thank you very much for answering my small question.
More: The context is: The hat was too tight to wear originally and modified to suit the head and now I'm trying on it.
Ami
--- Difficulty Affect: Price ---

(Very Easy Difficulty)
Merchant: This HP Bottle just cost 5G per item
M.Archer: How much i sell it?
Merchant: It cost 50G per item
M.Archer: Alright,i buy 50
(Very Hard Difficulty)
Merchant: This HP Bottle cost 100G per item
M.Archer: How much i sell it?
Merchant: 5G
M.Archer: (Mouth Bleeding)
Finding synonyms for 'Crystal' is a bit awkward, because the thesaurus occasionally thinks I'm talking about drugs.
"Today I will totally open up RPG Maker and work on my game. I have lots of ideas!"

End of day spoiler: It didn't happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vash