Game & Map Screenshots 11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Andreaus-Whitefyre

Andreaus-Whitefyre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I was wanting to show off a little of what I have so far and bgillisp was kind enough to tell me I could post my work in here. Little about me, I have a Game design degree from Purdue, but I let it stagnate since I graduated in 2015. I am Rusty. VERY Rusty. Combine that with the fact we learned Javascript and Unreal, and NOT anything close to RPG maker, this may be a crap Project to you all. Anyway, here it is. The Main monster will be replaced both in face and in sprite by a custom one down the road. It's just a Placeholder. Also, there IS Language in this. It's not Clean. No Voices, Just in Text.

Also, it's not supposed to be silent. Apparently the sound did not capture right.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Kauzz, atoms and Marquise* like this.
  2. Dust

Dust Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andreaus-Whitefyre But some Javascript-knowledge should help you a lot with RPG Maker MV :) I think it's important to just do something and not think too much about getting rusty.

[​IMG]
    I've implemented a little fishing minigame (solely done in Eventcode) for my game Numina. Wasn't planning on it originally but after weeks of testing, fixing bugs & polishing I just was in the mood to do something else :D

It's really simple. Once the fishing rode twitches, you have to quickly press a key to catch the fish. Nothing too fancy.

Lycanimuss, dsiver144, atoms and 5 others like this.
  3. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Dust that's really pretty. Your guy must have a big one on the line there! Now I am feeling like I should put more effort into my fishing event. ^_^;

4. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SeaPhoenix Very nice maps! Even the font you choose fits it well! Congratulations!

SeaPhoenix likes this.
  5. AmatureStudent

AmatureStudent I am not a Robot Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Been trying to flesh out my hub city of Calvary. You have the 'Nomad's Respite', the Market and the Guard Station. Hasn't turned out that well so far. That fence in the bottom image should be a bit shorter now that I look at it.
    [​IMG]

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  6. Cythera

Cythera Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andreaus-Whitefyre I'm liking that map - it has just enough little bits and pieces (food, game controllers) to give it atmosphere, without cluttering the place. In terms of writing, if I may comment on that, I feel the reaction to the creature was a bit...muted. If something spawned like that in my place, I'd be screaming bloody murder! Let the characters have a bit of a panic would be my suggestion :)
    @AmatureStudent I'm having some trouble with the varying heights in your maps - could also just be the way the pictures are posted that I'm looking at them funny. Heights can be a battle to get right - I would suggest working with some smaller maps, and a little less height at first. Maybe a house on a 2-3 tile-high hill, to get a sense of depth. The grassy-lake area on the top right looks nice, with some flowers and nature, but not enough to clutter the space. I also noticed some of the roofs in the top right picture have corner tiles where it should be flat roof. Keep it up - the map has potential in my opinion.
    Whew, alright, my turn. I was working to make a wildlands/mountain map and am decently pleased with how it turned out. Hopefully the pictures upload properly....
    Map329.png Map329-InGame.png In-game at dawn with weather effects. Had to scale image down to upload; sorry for the bit of blurriness

7. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Cythera that looks like it would be fun to explore! Bright and cheery, but also probably dangerous. ^_^ That one longest stairway looks awfully steep, more like a ladder. I feel like I'd buy it more as stairs if it were broken up. I love the rounded cliff tiles.

8. Cythera

Cythera Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @xoferew Thanks ^-^
    It's got a lot of enemies, but the team gets some new upgrades just prior, so not "too" dangerous!
    Yes, that long stair bit is my least favourite part. If I were to put the middle staircase as a side slope instead, would that look better?

9. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Cythera looking good. Personally I would add a treee or something to the left of the cave entrance though to break up all that Brown a bit but hey thats me xD
    Good job anyway

Cythera likes this.
  10. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Cythera Yes, I think so. Your side stairs have a realistic looking slope. It'll take up more space though so that might be annoying to put in after getting your map just the way you want it.

Cythera likes this.
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Cythera Another way of doing stairs, which you could use on your existing map by changing the flat tile next to the stairs to a curved one is this:
    upload_2019-8-20_7-48-24.png
    That way you can get another one or two stair tiles in, making it look less flat. The longer the 'return' (i.e. the edge pieces going up) the longer you can make your stairs.

CallMeKerrigan, atoms and Marquise* like this.
  12. Cythera

Cythera Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes That's a great idea, thanks! Be a lot easier than moving everything to put in a side slope. I'll give it a shot.

13. beliziam

beliziam Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Germany
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A new map Im working on. A very small village / town with a train station as main attraction:
    MAP028.png

Lycanimuss, atoms, Lorenze and 2 others like this.
  14. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @beliziam Nice! It looks like a very orderly town. Of the three buildings at the bottom, the upper one pops out more as 3D to me because the surrounding pavement is not lined up with the roof top. Could the lower buildings' pavement behind the building end one tile lower as well?

mishakoc likes this.
  15. DarlesLSF

DarlesLSF Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
  16. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  17. mishakoc

mishakoc Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @beliziam Very pretty! You have gorgeous tileset. I agree with @xoferew's suggestion, it would look better if the pavement ended closer to the lower houses.
    @DarlesLSF I really like your animation, nice work. It seems the tree looks way too flat though.
    @Lorenze Wow, the time fantasy tileset with your choice of colours looks simply stunning.

I wanted to ask what people here think about the way I'm mapping the forest - specifically the continuous mass of trees which are there so the player can't walk off the map wherever they want:
    mytina.png
    I know in RTP it is not advised to use the tree autotile. This is something similar but more flexible. I just can't decide if I like the look of it or not and would appreciate your opinions.

18. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mishakoc It looks alright to me. I do love me some Time Fantasy.

mishakoc likes this.
  19. mishakoc

mishakoc Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Arcmagik I love it too, seriously it's the best and most extensive pack out there! But I was a bit worried I'm biased since I like it so much.
    As I mentioned, people hate the forest autotile and I get why. This is something similar but I found it looks better than trying to plant way too many trees really close to each other. I'm also not sure if it looks better with or without the black border inside.

Arcmagik likes this.
  20. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @mishakoc I think it looks fine but if you can have it without the black border inside that would be my preference. I admit I don't understand the purpose of the inside black border. ^_^;

mishakoc likes this.