h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Hyouryuu-Na Really like what you've done here. I liked the carpet both big and small, so no complaints on either. The light effects made it feel warmer and more color rich, which I like quite a lot. However, I am left with a few questions as I only have the map, and not the concept.

Whos room is it? Knowing the character can add the final touch to it.

I love the light effect that's in the room, but is all the focus gonna happen on the top part of the map?
There's only a desk at the bottom of the room, does this have any significance? If so, throw a lamp or something to help light it up or drag its attention a bit.

My last little thought lies on the floor tiles on the balcony. This just nitpicking, so feel free just overlook this one. The floor tiles on the inside and outside are the same, where the outside part might fit with another material, not needed as it looks good, just mentioning this to mention all I see.

Love the map and hope to see more! :D

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@h0tWalker Thanks! ^^ The person this room belongs to is a rather insignificant character (so far. I'll probably make more use of him later) so I don't have a solid personality thought out for him. But I imagine him to be very neat and clean, organized, someone who prefers simple things.
Thanks for pointing out the lack of light. Yeah, there should be some light near the desk.
I tried a different tile but it didn't fit. Finding floor tiles has been a nightmare for this game. Not even wall tiles were so hard to match. I've changed floor tiles like 5 times already. Some tiles are too grand and some are too modern and some are too simple. I just went this one for the balcony too. But yes, another one would make more sense. Even in my own house the balcony floor tiles are different than the ones inside.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Haven't gotten that far into RPG Maker again and never really got into it when I used it, but could parallel mapping work to fix it? As every time I come across it I hear mention of Photoshop, and when looking into it back in the day, saw someone used it to get some outstanding light and shadow effects.

In rpg maker xp I re-call using sprites that lit stuff up, like torches and sunbeams coming through the windows. Can't really think of anything else at the top of my head :(

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my latest rework, the first town's Inn in my game project.
The map is made in photoshop. Every assets are RTP and RTP edits. Some of the edits are home-made while others have been found in this forum.

After releasing the V2 of my demo, I'll find some time to create a post with some of my edits. Maybe some people will find them useful for their own project.

Don't mind the empty wall behind the couter, something is evented in game.
Moonbright-INN_rework.png

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks very nice ^^ You put that together in photoshop? I find that workflow very tedious. The edits look great too.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PLUEVNR looks good. I would expect a little more shade here and there but other then that is looks real good.

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks very nice ^^ You put that together in photoshop? I find that workflow very tedious. The edits look great too.
@Hyouryuu-Na thanks! Yes, with photoshop. It's not really hard but it takes quite some time... But it's worth it in my opinion.

@PLUEVNR looks good. I would expect a little more shade here and there but other then that is looks real good.
@Finnuval Thank you! yeah true, I could add some.

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A small experiment, two weapons in one skill.
waw! How did you do that? I have a class using 2 different weapons and I was wondering how I could do the animation of the 2 weapons.
Is this only with YEP action sequences?

great job!

cchmaster

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
waw! How did you do that? I have a class using 2 different weapons and I was wondering how I could do the animation of the 2 weapons.
Is this only with YEP action sequences?

great job!

Yes, it's action sequence. I use MZ, so it's Visustella. Not sure if you can do it with YEP.

This is done by manipuplating the bug(or maybe not) of Battle Core commands and Weapon Animation plugin.

When making action sequence, if you use the plugin command:
MOTION: Freeze Motion Frame with Show Weapon True-> it shows the system default weapon.
MOTION: Motion Type with Show Weapon True -> it shows the custom weapon assigned by Weapon Animation plugin.

So, the concept is to assign two different weapon pictures to the same weapon, and create the action sequence with the two different commands.

Use my video as the example.

1. Make a new "Type" weapon in database. Let's say slot 30, and assign a gun picture to it. You'll need photoshop or similar software for this. For now, when you equip a weapon belonging to type slot 30 and attack, you'll see the gun animation.

2. Use "Weapon Animation" plugin's notetag to assign a cumtom weapon picture, in this case, a sword, to the gun with type slot 30. For now, if you attack, you should see the sword animation because it's swapped by "Weapon Animation" plugin.

3. Now you can create an action sequence with the two plugin commands I mentioned above, and having 2 different weapons in one skill.

As you can find easily, this method has its limit, but with carefully design, you can still have pretty good use of it.

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
alright I see, thanks for the tip!

Lucary

Dreamful Dev
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let the show begin!

A gif of the game I'm working on. Got some audience spotlights going along with the other lighting. Currently working on resizing aaall of the characters to be tall sprites.

RunwayHeroes.gif

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I was wondering which style of "treetop" is more visually appealing? Light/foliaged or dark/plain? In other words, the top half or bottom half?
Starter Path.png

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm Top for sure unless you want to get that deep, deep DEEP inside a forest feeling. But that's just my opinion xD

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd say it depends on the color theme of the game. The top one adds more details, but also takes some attention and due to the patterns and color contrasts. The bottom is darker and fades more out into a natural and relaxing background, going more unnoticed. When I just saw the top, I felt it sat quite nicely and natural, but after having seen the bottom, I guess I lean more towards the bottom. That said, it was only after comparing the two together, so if you run the top part from the get go, it'll go smoothly! :)

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, is it just me or does this river look...off? I can't seem to get it looking right.:kaoswt2:
When I try to straighten it a bit, it looks too artificial, but when I don't it still looks unnatural... Suggestions?
I've tried making it thinner, but that accentuates the blockiness, so I'm at a loss...
Forest.png

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Frostorm
Yeah, it doesnt look right.
I have the same problem with the entire forest, Im better with indoor maps.
Look up some old Snes games how they did their rivers.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
What a coincidence, as my latest tutorial revolves around forests:

My general tips would be:
Try to look at the map from a player's perspective, how much do they see?
You have dense forest and then giant gaps, try to make some holes in the closed forest "ceiling" and make the paths less wide and even to get a more natural look.
The river looks kinda flat due to how the autotile looks like. Again, try to look at it from a player's perspective, the different screen size can make a huge difference. I would probably have the curve be not that sharp.
In the end you can change a lot with the decoration, with reed and stones and maybe sandy parts around the river the look will be a different.

Lucary

Dreamful Dev
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm Maybe it could help if you make the left part of the river end more towards the left and in more of a curve kinda like this? At least it would flow better. Might look different in the editor, but could be worth a try. ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

finally redesigned one of the major antagonist of my game, Pro... aka Prometheus.
Well, I've decided I'll take a break on making Forgotten Eclipse...and Make a mod for FNF
Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWanderer1990