Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, I will take these suggestions to heart. It's still a WIP of course, so it will definitely not be as "open" once the map is done. But, I wanted to get the river's shape right before moving on. As far as player perspective goes, they'd only see 1/9th of the map on-screen. Basically, the entire forest is 60x33 while my resolution will only show 20x11.

Edit: Ok, here's River 2.0! How's it looks? Anywhere I can make improvements?
(just ignore the blank spaces for now, I'll fill them in later)
Forest.png
Thank you @Finnuval @Avery @Lucary for the feedback!

Edit2: This is 1/9th of the above map. I just wanted a quick opinion of whether this is too busy or not:
1610372044606.png

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you, I will take these suggestions to heart. It's still a WIP of course, so it will definitely not be as "open" once the map is done. But, I wanted to get the river's shape right before moving on. As far as player perspective goes, they'd only see 1/9th of the map on-screen. Basically, the entire forest is 60x33 while my resolution will only show 20x11.

Edit: Ok, here's River 2.0! How's it looks? Anywhere I can make improvements?
(just ignore the blank spaces for now, I'll fill them in later)
View attachment 174772
Thank you @Finnuval @Avery @Lucary for the feedback!

Edit2: This is 1/9th of the above map. I just wanted a quick opinion of whether this is too busy or not:
View attachment 175119
That bottom one looks nice, the busier the better in my opinion if you are going for realism.

TheGentlemanLoser

True friends stab you in the front
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-This Page-
@Frostorm: that's very solid work, I like that tileset, namely its round edges and not everything being "squared off" (actually, good level of detail when zoomed in, too. To answer your question the zoomed in shot isn't too busy for me in the sense of being visually unappealing but it is definitely "busy enough" and then some, so I wonder if including that level of detail on the other 8/9ths of every map is practicable for you, but idk how many maps your game has and where you put your priorities is obviously up to you.

I disagree with the person who said "the busier the better" full stop because there is definitely such a thing as too busy but you're not there yet, it's a very attractive level of detail.

-Last Page-

@Ninjakillzu the artwork is nice and clean, but presently playing Cyberpunk 2077 so I gotta say having level restrictions on perks/feats is really not a feature I've been enjoying, at least in this context. The breakpoints just feel really arbitrary, and it forces me to put perk points into stuff I don't care about while waiting to meet the prerequisites for the perks I actually want, and more generally, it seems to penalize being well-rounded and over-incentivize over-specialization.

@cchmaster niiice action sequence! I've never had the patience for the trial & error involved in setting these up but they can accomplish some really neat looking skills. Love the flip.

@Lucary simply amazing, love the spot lights...I actually need to separate a similar event for a bar/concert coming up in my project, mind sharing how you accomplished that?

Lucary

Dreamful Dev
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm I think it's perfect! Detailed forest maps look more real to me and I really like the tiles. What tileset is that by the way? Are the trees RTP?

@TheGentlemanLoser Thanks! It's Terrax lighting on a randomly moving event

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
good.jpg
The dolls blink when you get close

CepCeph

Tile Bender
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone. I made this worldmap using photoshop. I really don't know this forum enough but i hope this is the place that i can share and read some feedback.
!World-Map 1.png

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey all. I haven't done much RPG making since MV arrived quite some time ago, but I recently decided to download the trial for MZ. It's been fun working on writing a few plugins to customize the battle scene to my liking.

MZ1.png
MZ2.png

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've recently revisited the very first map in my game: a post office. This is what it originally looked like, a single room for the sorting of mail and storing of supplies:

Map006.png

I raised the walls by 1 tile and decided to try adding some animation to the heater system (partly to have an excuse to add some ambient sound effects :D):

GIF 14-01-2021 20-39-08.gif

I ended up feeling a bit weird just having the player teleport out and in of this back room, so I've been experimenting with creating the rest of the post office as well, with a reception hall and a dingy break room for the workers:

Map075 - detail.png

(Heavily indebted to bokou and dwys for many of the assets!)

AshleyLacure

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Revisiting a little passion project. (Week 1 of Development)

RV01.png
RV02.png

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CepCeph, I really like this style of world map! I'm hoping to make something similar for my game once I find the right tutorials. If I would change something, maybe I'd experiment with a little more variation in the hues and border regions of the different climate zones. Nothing drastic, but just to add a bit more realism -- climate is affected a lot by latitude, but also altitude, the presence of the ocean/sea currents, etc., so the separation between different climates can be a little more uneven. Googling satellite maps of earth gives an idea. But if it doesn't end up looking good that way, the current version is nice too!

I did some more mapping today, this time a city street. This city has been causing me so much trouble for some reason - I want this city to be clearly distinguished from the main city (a vibrant, rural place). I've tried to keep the color palette more dull and have less natural greenery, to indicate that it's supposed to be a colder and more industrialised place. Not sure if I'm entirely happy yet, and this is my fifth(?) try from scratch :rswt Any feedback much appreciated!

Map078.png
(In-game I use a tint screen command to make it a bit more sepia-toned. The main points of interest are the post office in the centre and mansion to the left. The doors are evented.)

Map026-2.png

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@AshleyLacure Hey, what font are you using for the text "Engage, Arts, Guard, & Row"?

Edit: @mephet I think changing out your trees for less vibrant ones would yield the results you're looking for.

Last edited:

Neonzumi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just thought I'd show off some screenshots from my recent project: Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality. As you can see from the shots, A lot of the stuff you'll see and hear are entirely created from scratch. This game is basically a love letter to quirky, weird and obscure Japanese video games with a twisted sense of humor.

Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality 1_16_2021 6_12_30 PM.png
Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality 1_16_2021 6_12_40 PM.pngTech Demo Con Carne 7_7_2020 7_31_31 PM.png
Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality 1_16_2021 6_23_15 PM.png
Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality 1_16_2021 6_25_44 PM.png
Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality 1_16_2021 6_26_33 PM.png

jan_Meta

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all. Any advice on mapping would be appreciated! Particularly dealing with mapping burnout -- deciding on tiles is just exhausting for me because I've downloaded so many and so there's a million to choose from.

I just have my main town and its interiors left before I've completed the primary mapping work for act 1. Honestly can't wait to really start seeing my story come to life with complicated dialogues and cutscenes.

snowtown2.png

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all. Any advice on mapping would be appreciated! Particularly dealing with mapping burnout -- deciding on tiles is just exhausting for me because I've downloaded so many and so there's a million to choose from.

I know it may not help at this point, but mebbe in the future you could cut down on the number of tiles? For me, less is more - mapping is easier for me if my tileset is just a coupla tiles, so my decisions are just like, "Do I pick A, B or C"? instead of rifling through the entire alphabet. Altho, my maps are done in a very different style (8-bit), sooo... yeah. :biggrin:

@Neonzumi, ooh wow, I love those colours, sweetie! Usually I'm all for a more intense palette, but your pastels are really soothing for the eyes!

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: @mephet I think changing out your trees for less vibrant ones would yield the results you're looking for.

Thank you! I tried making the trees slightly less saturated, and I think it looks better that way indeed :)

(As a follow-up to the previous maps: ) I've been experimenting with some cinematic transitions, which is quite fun! This is the transition from the opening map (all black) to the first playable map of the game, just after the player has named the main character:

ezgif-2-52fc77977dc7.gif

@jan_Meta - I speak from quite little experience, but when doing a lot of maps all in one go I've tried to vary the type of maps I do one after another. After doing a lot of bigger city area maps I got tired of them, so I focused more on interiors, minigame maps, etc., and switched between these. But I also change between mapping, eventing, scriptwriting, etc. a lot - but that might not be well-advised for bigger/more organized projects :rswt

Last edited:

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@gRaViJa looks amazing! The 3D mapping is everything i dream of and more, the way you take advantage of it after checking out the project is brings out the best of your maps, really well!:kaojoy:

Edit: I read his project and figured stuff out :p

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People1_3 added!
index.php

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Station